THE ACCURATE RELOADING ENGRAVING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Engraving    Ultra RARE Engraved H&R Sportsman Long Range 20ga. 32" bbl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra RARE Engraved H&R Sportsman Long Range 20ga. 32" bbl
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ultra RARE Engraved H&R Sportsman Long Range 20ga. 32" bbl

Hello All,

Anyone ever see one of these. Would this be engraving that costs 20 times more than the value of the gun?

I find more info about the engraver (its not signed) and the value.

Pictures tell it all.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2099 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is nice.
Aaron

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interesting pictures

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be darned. Not the chassis I would choose. Wonder just how deep the case is on that old H&R receiver.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3006va:
Wow! That is nice.
Aaron
Hello 3006va,
Thanks for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Thanks for the interesting pictures
Hello p dog shooter,
Thanks for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I'll be darned. Not the chassis I would choose. Wonder just how deep the case is on that old H&R receiver.
Hello Bill/Oregon,
Thanks for the reply.

This receiver was either in-the-soft or annealed, and then blued after engraving.

Posts: 2099 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work!

Given that the engraving covers the roll stamping (I would think if it had been engraved and then roll stamped, the stamping would have moved the metal into the engraving.

Given the way it looks, it looks like a talented amateur to me- I have never seen a professional go into the stamping like that. Maybe someone who did it on his own gun?

I kind of doubt that was a factory piece that way...

But then again, I'm just a guy who likes guns- if one of the pros says this is a pro type job, I learned something...

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now there's an example of lipstick on a pig if I've ever seen one.

Almost as good an example of one of those hideous Blaser thingys with a nice piece of figured wood.

Posts: 8483 | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d say it’s a burgeoning engraver trying things out. To be honest, I’ve seen much worse animals on WRs and especially newer
Rigbys. I saw a googley-eyed sable once on a Hagn...that is STILL funny...

Posts: 7763 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
semi machine engraved. air hammer.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's reallly nice!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
semi machine engraved. air hammer.

NOT!

The H&R Historian thought this might be my gun.

...."... Montrose Daily Press / March 3, 1998

J.D. Dubois of Montrose won the Colorado state championship for shotgun shooting sponsored by the National Wild Turkey Federation during the four-day International Sportsmen's Exposition held recently at Currigan Hall in Denver.

Contestants used an electronically-equipped Remington shotgun to fire at targets appearing on a large screen. Several dozen competed during each day of the qualification rounds for a chance to shoot in the championships held Sunday afternoon, Feb. 21.

Sunday during the championships, a large crowd gathered to watch the youths under age 18 step up and try to hit as many targets as possible with one box of 25 shells.

Dubois, a junior at MHS, hit twice as many targets as his nearest competitor to win a custom engraved H&R shotgun and many other prizes from industry supporters.

The photograph above will be published in the National Wild Turkey Federation magazine listing Dubois as the Colorado state champion...."