THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    British Airways Fares Reduced

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Airways Fares Reduced
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted
I've been looking around for reasonably priced airfares from Chicago to Windhoek and back for my June 2015 trip with Sebra Hunting Safaris. I checked with a couple of the well known agents here on AR and received quotes of $2200 and $2400. Just for grins, I logged onto Travelocity.com, plugged in my dates of travel, and clicked the button for email alerts if prices went down. Today, I got an alert for a $1635 roundtrip fare going through London. Since I'm not bringing my own gun, I didn't have to worry about clearing weapons in the UK, and there's no long layover in J'Berg, just 4 hours. The layover in London is 9 hours, but there's tons of neat stuff to see there just a few "Tube" rides away from Heathrow. I don't know if the reduced fares are a result of the ebola scare or the big dip in oil prices, but I'm happy with the deal I got.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We travelled on BA last August from DFW-LHR-JNB with firearms and had no problems. All arranged by Steve Turner - Travel With Guns.

We cabbed over and toured Windsor Castle during our layover at Heathrow. Fun!

Only thing we would have changed is that we would have started our trip on BA from AUS and travelled on the new B787.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with taking guns on BA is not London, but rather your connection in SA. The bargain fares on BA to Windhoek connect through JNB with Kalula, a division of Comair. Kalula flies nice, modern planes and is said to have good service, but does not accept firearms as baggage (something to do with permitting.) Since you are traveling without firearms then BA through London would be a good choice.

You can transport firearms on BA through South Africa, but you'll have to connect with SAA and those fares, for whatever reason, are much higher.

As 415sbaird notes, the new non-stop service from Austin to London is on a 787 "Dreamliner". The relative comfort of the plane is said to be not so much different (in economy) as any other, but fares through mid-May are very attractive.

Posts: 13229 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As 415sbaird notes, the new non-stop service from Austin to London is on a 787 "Dreamliner". The relative comfort of the plane is said to be not so much different (in economy) as any other, but fares through mid-May are very attractive.[/QUOTE]

I have taken the BA 787 from AUS to Heathrow and back. The seats, etc. are about the same as other Boeings, but the plane is very, very quiet and the cabin pressure and humidity are superior to older generation planes. The flight is less tiring to the passenger. Also, the daily 787 flight is so popular that it is said that BA may replace the 787 with the larger 777.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just got tickets for my trip in February to Zim. Flying Emirates and the roundtrip fare was $1257.50. Sweet. Booked through Steve Turner, Travel With Guns.

Mike

Posts: 21193 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blanco county:

I have taken the BA 787 from AUS to Heathrow and back. The seats, etc. are about the same as other Boeings, but the plane is very, very quiet and the cabin pressure and humidity are superior to older generation planes. The flight is less tiring to the passenger. Also, the daily 787 flight is so popular that it is said that BA may replace the 787 with the larger 777.

That's good to know. My wife and daughters are planning a trip in 2015 on this flight.

Posts: 13229 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote