THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    First trip to SA in June, airline advice

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First trip to SA in June, airline advice
 Login/Join

posted
I'm going to Johannesburg for my first safari this June. This is a trip that was rescheduled from last year when travel was shut down. It's also my first international trip in general, not just hunting trip.

Per last year's original plan I was going to fly from Atlanta direct to Jburg on Delta. When the world shut down in March 2020, I rescheduled with my safari company to June 2021 and then just put the trip out of mind. I figured I'd wait to see what the world looked like as the date approached. So far SA has reopened and my outfitter has been taking hunters since March so it looks like I'd better get my flights.

The outfitter recommended I book my travel through an agent (specifically recommended Travel with Guns of Houston, TX) due to the dynamic travel situation. I spoke with TWG yesterday, and I'm willing to book through a travel agent versus booking my own flights given my lack of experience in international travel.

TWG would normally recommend the direct Delta from Atlanta flight, but that hasn't resumed service yet. They wouldn't bet on that flight resuming on time for my trip. Thus they recommended Qatar Airways flying from Philadelphia through Doha to Jburg and said they've had hundreds of US clients travel this route in recent months.

Could any well traveled hunters offer advice on going this route- especially considering I'm new to international travel?
I'm not flying with any rifles. I'm going to use a camp rifle to simply the travel logistics.

Jason

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I’ve flown QA many times from ATL to JNB via Doha with never a problem. I likewise use camp rifles. Service is excellent. 5 steps above Delta....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Steve and company have booked the bulk of my international trips the last ten years or so. I can heartily endorse them. I am flying to Botswana in June for a postponed trip originally scheduled in "20. I was going United because it was 8 hours shorter, but all US based carriers are looking iffy on South Africa right now. My hunting partner, Jay and I just booked Qatar today. I have flown Qatar biz class to Kampala and Arusha before and their Q-Suites are very comfortable. SO a bit longer to arrive but we will be well taken care of from Houston to Jo'berg. Don't hesitate to book Qatar. Without rifles, it will be a breeze...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JRD,

Take the sage advise you've been given. Booking at this time for your first international trip and not using a TWG, Gracy Travel or similar is a fool errand.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12841 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JRD, like Russell and Mark said, use a travel agent.
I started using Steve Turner in Dec of 2006.
Steve sorted out a missed connect in Amsterdam for me in route to Tanzania that Gracy Travel had booked.
I called Gracy but could not get a rep to answer my calls or return them at 2am in the US.
Steve Turner did answer and saved the day and I have been a loyal TWG customer since that day.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. I will book with confidence now through TWG on Qatar.

I have a follow up question on trip insurance. I've read many recommendations to purchase trip insurance.
TWG suggests either Ripcord Rescue or Global Rescue travel insurance.

I'm taking my 19 year old son for a basic plains game safari. The camp is reportedly only a few hours drive from Jburg so not a remote location. We are both in good health with no medical conditions.

In my mind, the most likely thing to protect against would be either of us testing positive for Covid and not being able to travel.

What are your recommendations on purchasing a travel insurance policy from either of these companies?

Jason

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The whole idea of buying insurance is that you hoPE you NEVER need it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66698 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had Global Rescue for a long time and like Saeed said, you hope you never need it. Thankfully I've never needed mine.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always buy Global Rescue or Ripcord. You do not want to be in a third world country without someone you can use as your advocate or in the worst case, come get you if needed. Look at it as a justifiable trip expense.

Posts: 64 | Location: alaska | Registered: 02 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I always have travel insurance when hunting overseas. I’ve always used Ripcord, but Global Rescue is also very popular. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Keep in mind, it’s ‘just’ a plains game hunt, but... what if you’re badly injured in a vehicle accident? Unexpected things can happen, and do, so for a few hundred dollars each, you can insure ‘just in case’.

I suffered a fairly serious injury while hunting Sitatunga in 2018. They’re not a dangerous animal by any stretch of imagination, but I took a serious fall that ended with a torn rotator cuff, cracked ribs and sprained knee. Nothing that required Ripcord, but what if it had been a broken femur? I damn sure wouldn’t have wanted a 4-hour drive on rough roads to medical care with that kind of injury. I’d have wanted to be flown out of the bush to medical care. That’s where Travel insurance comes in.

Posts: 3829 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Travel Guard was excellent with my client that got smashed by a buffalo. Client was more than happy and thankful for their quick and thorough handling of his situation.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12841 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have GLOBAL RESCUE for years.

Never had to use it, and hope to never have to use it.

You will enjoy your hunt in South Africa.

We did, on both occasions we hunted there.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66698 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote