Notify
Tools

travel to Africa via ship
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Anyone ever done this?

I've heard that most freighters do have a limited number of rooms available for passengers, and given the "steerage" class accommodations you get on most airlines these days, a trip by sea just might be kinda fun.

Anyone ever done anything like this? anyone ever looked into it?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1959 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No modern cargo vessels have this, was pretty comon a long time ago but those ships are now rebar or nails.

The regulations are still there, a cargo vessel can have up to 12 passengers in international trade without all teh requirements of a "passenger vessel" (doctor, hospital, morgue, additional catering crew), but shipping is all about money and you would not want to pay the required kind of it.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Great idea!

Friends of ours - upon retiring here in Lagos - returned to Europe from Lagos to Amsterdam. 4 weeks.

Most vessels do have the accommodation - albeit rough - and often take passengers in 1s and 2s. Food and catering tends to be very simple and aimed at Asian crews and there is little more to do than walk / jog the decks, read and watch the limited number of available DVDs!

Ex colleague did same but from Bremerhafen to Cape Town!

Cheers

Ps Pretty ok as regards price

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could sure catch up on your reading!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I was looking into this a few years ago.

Very possible to do.

The only unknown would be transporting rifles. That will be either very hard or very easy. Likely the former.

A few links…..

https://www.freightercruises.com

http://www.freighter-travel.com

http://freightertrips.com

http://flightlesstravel.com/plan/cargo-ships/

http://www.gonomad.com/1560-freighter-travel-faqs

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chiefen:
No modern cargo vessels have this, was pretty comon a long time ago but those ships are now rebar or nails.

The regulations are still there, a cargo vessel can have up to 12 passengers in international trade without all teh requirements of a "passenger vessel" (doctor, hospital, morgue, additional catering crew), but shipping is all about money and you would not want to pay the required kind of it.

See my post above. Your assumptions are mostly incorrect. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If someone doesn't know what they are talking about, one should remain silent or run the risk of being shown to be a fool.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25+years in the international shipping industry; I know this cant be done.

First stop is the vessels P&I; they would go ballistic of the idea.
The way round this is what we ship officers do when/if familliy is joining us for a voyage; they are signed on as crew with a pay of $1day. But this requires them to have a medical examination, seamannsbook and for some flags basic safety training.

There are a few cargo vessels wich brings passengers, but they are certified and manned as "passenger vessels".

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Better tell our friends that they shouldnt have done it then Wink

No idea what lines you were with but Maersk and CMA CGM let cabins on ships all the time. And I am not talking about Med cruise ships but freighters. Bit of paperwork and waivers but readily doable !

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the three companies we asked when we wanted to sail from Europe to NA were good to deal up to the firearms discussion ... it was a no no ...

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:

The only unknown would be transporting rifles.

doing a spot of Pirate hunting on the way ?

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
25+years in the international shipping industry; I know this cant be done.

First stop is the vessels P&I; they would go ballistic of the idea.
The way round this is what we ship officers do when/if familliy is joining us for a voyage; they are signed on as crew with a pay of $1day. But this requires them to have a medical examination, seamannsbook and for some flags basic safety training.

There are a few cargo vessels wich brings passengers, but they are certified and manned as "passenger vessels".

It may not be done in Norway, but the option is very much alive in other parts of the world including mine.
http://www.flightlesstravel.com/plan/cargo-ships/

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Last year I flew JFK to Joberg to Maun. I had a non TSA lock on my bag and a TSA lock on my ammo box in the bag. Went through TSA and the Port Authority police, who were very friendly, and I was waiting at the gate when the Port Authority police officer came to see me.

He asked for the key to the lock on my bag. Seems someone wanted to inspect the ammo further and he didn't want them to cut the lock. Nice guy. He returned shortly with my key and everything was good to go.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:

The only unknown would be transporting rifles.

doing a spot of Pirate hunting on the way ?

The ammo wt limit would really suck, as it would be poor form to show up in SA with no ammo left!