New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifle details
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think that I have seen the answer to this, but want to confirm.

My friend and I are headed to Zimbabwe departing Atlanta July 29.
Overnighting in JoBurg on the 30th.
Departing to Bulawayo on the 31st.
We will archery hunt for six days then rifle hunt in a separate area (Omay) the next six days.

We are both taking bows and 375 HH rifles.

I am led to believe we CAN NOT have two rifles of same chambering in one checked gun case.

Is that true?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True as far as South Africa goes...in 2010 I saw a pair of hunters in the SAPS office with two .270 Win rifles in the same case. The SAPS officers kept BOTH rifles...

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy458:
True as far as South Africa goes...in 2010 I saw a pair of hunters in the SAPS office with two .270 Win rifles in the same case. The SAPS officers kept BOTH rifles...

+1 - the gun laws in South Africa prohibit a person from bringing two rifles of the same caliber into the country. If you had the guns in separate cases with one registered to each hunter, you should be ok.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Namibia has a similar "one rifle of a caliber per hunter" rule. Three of us went in 2007 and among us took four rifles: one .338, one .300 Win, one .30-06, and a second .30-06 as a backup gun for any of us who might experience a problem with his primary rifle. Only two of us carried 2-gun rifle cases. We put a .338 and one .30-06 in one case, duly accompanied by a 4457 filled out in the name of the hunter checking that case; and we put a .300 Win along with the second .30-06 in the case checked by another hunter, along with the appropriate 4457 in his name. In this manner there were no "caliber duplications" among a given hunter's rifles.

By the way, the third hunter checked only his one clothing bag -- in this manner he was able to check and bring home a second bag (without extra baggage fees) -- a canvas duffel packed for the outbound leg inside one of the clothing bags -- containing the small amount of merchandise we purchased or gifts we received.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

That leads me to another question.

Can my friend and I check a single bag of clothes etc. ( single between us, not two separate bags) and that bag contain two pelican boxes of ammo one for each of us.

We would have more that 11 pounds of ammo in total between us, but less than 11 pounds each.

Or do we both need to check a separate bag with clothes and ammo?

Thanks
I believe 11 pouds is the limit.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just happen to have been reading about this researching another topic. Consensus clearly seems to be that the 5KG (11 lbs) of ammunition per person must be in your own bag. No sharing. I would not risk it as you are already at the mercy of interpretations of rules throughout your travel.

Regards,

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

posted Hide Post
As far as South Africa regulations, you can take two rifles of the same caliber in the same case, as long as these are for two different hunters with each having their own permit and form 4457. Of course, the two hunters would have to be traveling together. One hunter can not take two rifles of the same caliber under one firearm permit and one form 4457. Hope this helps.

Posts: 24 | Location: friendswood texas | Registered: 01 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Thae "two rifles of same caliber in one case belonging two two different people with proper permits" was something that I did not know.

NRA Patron member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I hate to disagree with the group, but my son and I went to Zim last summer via Joberg. We both took the exact same rifle and cal., Ruger No. 1 375 H&H mag. He had his paperwork for his gun and I had mine. We had zero problems going or coming home. Both guns were in the same case. As long as you each have your own SAPS 520, I see no issues.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am taking 2 rifles in 375 to Zim through SA and Gracy travel is doing up the forms. I brought this up with them and they said it won't be a problem. They will have me sign another form to say the reasons why I am bringing 2 of the same and from what I understand they said it will all work out fine.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I think if Gracy told you how to handle the 2 375s you can take it to the bank.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12860 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly Mark. I was worried until I asked Shawn some questions and she said no problem as if they had done it before. Like I said, I think I just need to sign and extra piece of paper and they will take care of it. For the price they charge guys it really is worth it to just have them take care of it for you and then there are no worries. If there are problems they can help you out and it is money well spent in my eyes.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote