THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Global Entry member had to show her actual card to get in the line.Do you need yours?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global Entry member had to show her actual card to get in the line.Do you need yours?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://thepointsguy.com/news/...d-do-you-need-yours/

Global Entry member had to show her actual card to get in the line. Do you need yours?

Sean Cudahy
May 8, 2022

Susan Oliver was tired after a long trip back to the U.S. She had just touched down on a United flight from London-Heathrow Airport (LHR) to Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD) in Virginia last Saturday. Passport in hand, she approached customs, and thought about how glad she was to have an active Global Entry membership, seeing how the normal line was ‘longer than usual.’

As Oliver headed toward the Global Entry line, though, she said she got stopped.

“There were at least three men there, demanding to see the physical (Global Entry) card before you could get into the line,” she said.

“I was really surprised,” she told TPG, pointing out that she had never had to display the actual card before, in seven years as a Global Entry member.

Good thing she had it, just in case.

While digging through her purse to find it, she said she mentioned to customs officials how unusual this was, and asked why this step was necessary.

She said they informed her, ‘People had been using the Global Entry lanes without having Global Entry, so they had to stop people from getting into that lane by looking at your card.’

Moments later, Oliver was on her way after finding her card and displaying it; no big deal.

Had I been in Oliver’s shoes, though, I would have been out of luck.

CBP: This shouldn’t happen
Like Oliver, I’ve never been asked to display my Global Entry card, in the four or so years I’ve been a member. In fact, I’ve never carried my physical card before.

Why?

Well, because at my interview in 2018, the customs official I spoke with told me I wouldn’t need it unless I’m crossing a land border.

I’m not alone.

I checked with other frequent travelers in our TPG Lounge on Facebook, and among dozens I heard from, few others had ever been asked to show their card – with an exception or two. A couple of travelers mentioned they’d been asked for the card at international preclearance facilities, such as in Canada.

One TPG reader wrote, “I’ve been asked once to show my GE card to enter the line for the GE kiosks,” even though, he also pointed out, “I was told during my enrollment interview…that I wouldn’t need to carry it.”

To that end, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) frequently asked questions page for Global Entry specifically says the cards are accepted for entry at land and sea ports; Global Entry members are able to use the Sentri and Nexus lanes for the CBP’s other programs that expedite crossing into the U.S. from Mexico and/or Canada.

In fact, the page specifically says the cards are not accepted at kiosks, which are what you use when arriving at an airport from an international flight.

After hearing Oliver’s story, I first rummaged through a drawer to locate my card, which I hadn’t seen in years. Then I reached out to CBP to find out whether the cards could, in fact, be required for international passengers arriving at airports… under certain, unusual circumstances, perhaps?

Nope.

A CBP spokesperson told TPG Friday, that the agency checked with its field office at Dulles and “has not made any changes in the processing of Global Entry members,” and added, “Cards are not required.”

So, what gives?

Still not clear why this happened

The best CBP can tell us is that, “This may have been an isolated situation.”

With “at least three men” guarding the Global Entry line demanding to see a physical card, though, Oliver clearly didn’t have a choice in the matter, if she wanted to go through the Global Entry line.

I wanted to find out what someone in Oliver’s position should do, imagining the sort of line you could otherwise be subjected to, particularly at a time when there’s a good chance the normal line could be long.

Should you mention to the CBP officials that….well….they have it wrong?

“I would not advise getting into any disagreement with the officers,” the CBP spokesperson said.

She continued, “I would advise that the member state that they are an approved Global Entry member and traveling with their appropriate entry documents to use the Global Entry lane. As the Global Entry cards are not for kiosk use, members are not required to present them for air travel.”

Bottom line
Based on both CBP policies – which they reiterated to TPG — you shouldn’t need your card to access Global Entry when you’re flying.

You’d better believe I’ll be carrying mine going forward, though.

Oliver, too.

“I’m just going to keep it in the back of my passport where it has been,” she said.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had it happen once in Canada. No matter what I showed or told the lady, she was not having it and insisted that you ALWAYS should have the card with you.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I keep mine in my passport holder. I just always assumed that I may need to show the card.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 632 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had to show ours at DFW 2-3 times. And there were people trying to enter the global entry line that apparently did not have global entry as they were turned away by CBP officers.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was told to carry it so I always did but I had never been asked for it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I lost mine at DFW a couple weeks ago. Likely in the security line. I was just distracted and scrambling.

I filled out some claim form, but have no idea. I’ll check around when I return. However, I’ve never been asked to show it upon return. I think I’ve voluntarily flashed it a time or two. I do have photos on my phone.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I have never been asked for the card at any airport: DFW, IAH, SAT, AUS, MIA, SJU, ORD, ATL, LAX. But having read the article, I will be taking it next trip.

Posts: 749 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep a picture of my G.E. card saved in my favorites, also carry the card when I travel.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just tell Biden he needs to step in as it’s as racist as asking for voter ID.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 263 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had to show ours last week in Vancouver, BC entering customs/immigration.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote