New
Find
Notify
Tools

KLM to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has @nyone flown KLM from US to Africa via Amsterdam ? What was your experiences.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Yes, Dulles > Schipol > Nairobi.

Out of Dulles was fine, 6 hour layover in Schipol. Out of Schipol was bedlam. Language barrier prevented passengers from understanding boarding procedures and the staff basically gave up. Once on board staff was fine. Flew a 777 to Schipol and a 747 to Nairobi. The 747 had been around a long time.

Flying back from Nairobi I noticed loading was 3 hours before take off. I thought it was a mistake. Nope. It was a LONG boarding process (first time to Africa so maybe it’s normal?). People were handing the agent what looked like some sort of affidavit instead of a passport to get on. An interesting experience.

Loading from Nairobi was also insane, just a mad dash to the door with people waving tickets. Agents again seemed to give up at a point.

All that said, the flights were on time and staff was great once on board. Clearly these routes ain’t their first rodeo.

Next time to Nairobi I might try the air Kenya flight from New York. Straight flight on a 787.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To Arusha, and Dar many times, always good experience.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used them a few times- to Arusha, Dar, and Entebbe.

Their service is good. The gun bit gets a bit worrisome given their rules, but I haven't had a problem.

The only real "difference" I've noticed is that their business class seats don't quite fully recline. Seem like an older generation of seat- not that its uncomfortable or anything, just different.

There is a bit of a security issue in Shipol when returning to the US- they ask a lot of questions, some of which seem inane. I tell them the truth- and have gone to the second level guy a time or two when I said I was hunting and I was traveling with firearms... but it worked out fine.

Their service seems to be a bit more attentive than the US airlines.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've flown many times (Detroit>Amsterdam>Arusha/Dar) and never had a problem. I happened to be in TZ hunting when 9-11 happened and flew back a few days later. Keystone cops at Schiphol as everyone fussed and fretted about my rifles but all ended well.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KLM is one one of the few that has service to Windhoek (stops briefly in Luanda). Rode with them last May/June Houston-Amsterdam-Windhoek. I didn't take my own rifle this time, so can't comment on gun handling.

"Premium" economy is a disappointment. The seats are the same width (eight across on an A330) as in regular economy. It offers a little more knee room, but if your critical dimension is width and not length, then paying for "premium economy" doesn't do much for you other than get you served a little quicker.

Staff is courteous and seemingly efficient, no complaints.

One note: We had a 15 hour layover at Schipol since the flight from Houston arrives early morning and the flight to Windhoek departs late evening. But it is easy and worthwhile to take the train to downtown to spend a full day touring Amsterdam. I prefer to bite the bullet and stay awake and active after a trans-Atlantic crossing to better and more quickly adjust to the time difference.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, this past Aug 2019. R/T TPA-AMS-WDH. Overnight flights from TPA to AMS, 12hr day layover in AMS and overnight to WDH.

Been to Amsterdam enough so we skipped going into town and just booked a day room at the Yotel hotel. It's within the "secured" area of the terminal along with all the shops and restaurants. Luggage and rifles were checked all the way through both ways. Just had a change of clothes in our carry-on.

The firearm transit permit is not too bad. Form is a bit long but the instructions are very clear. BE SURE YOU SUBMIT THE PERMIT APPLICATION THE STATED 8-WEEKS before your initial transit. They will let you know fairly (within several days)quickly if something is not filled out correctly or you're missing info. They will not issue the actual approved permit until a few days before your flight. Just ping them once every 7-10 days to make sure all is on track.

Return flight (early Sept) the flight from WDH to AMS was less than 1/2 full and we got free upgrade to economy comfort.

Just don't wait to submit the firearm transit permit.

Forgot to mention - the Yotel hotel also offers just shower cabins. We used those on the way back.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chicago to Amsterdam to JRO.

Excellent flight and crew.

Top notch business class lounge in Amsterdam.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Seattle to Amsterdam to Dar.

very nice flight.

only nail bitter was the permit for my rifle to Amsterdam, they wait until the week before you leave. At Check in they wanted the original letter, however, all I had was my permit by e mail that I received and printed so that I had the permit in hand for them to clear me. I had to have the supervisor clear the permit.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several times direct from Houston, then on to either Arusha or Dar. Never a problem, but the layover in Amsterdam is pretty short with that flight. Just an hour and a half or two if I recall. There's some pretty decent food available and some decent shops.

Use Steve Turner at Travel With Guns for your firearms permits.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do advise clients not to use them.

Without a gun, there is no issue with KLM.

BUT bringing a gun, I would avoid them. They do require a permit for transit and (in the past) there were delays with rifles which caused the bags/gun cases to arrive not in time.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Caracal states - KLM is great when no firearms are involved, not so great with firearms. I had two clients last year departing KLM from the US to Windhoek had delays in receiving their firearms. Also had a client traveling on Emirates that had delays in receiving his firearms (was a transfer problem between Emirates and SAA). Not a fun way to start a hunt.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
My wife, another couple and I flew from JAX to JNB on KLM business in August (with guns). This is not a published route and I had to cobble together tickets from JAX to Boston (on Delta, a KLM partner) and another flight on KLM on to JNB. KLM noted that even though it was two tickets, they were linked and baggage was checked straight through to JNB instead of us having to recheck in BOS. Of course this COULD cause a problem once in a while, but I've done it a dozen times without any hitch. I think ticket agent at the originating airport has the option of checking straight through and I've never had one give it a moments hesitation. On the return, it's the same way, but you have to get your stuff at customs anyway so it's not quite so important.

Now the good news.... Business class from BOS to JNB only cost us only $3300 each and the Delta connection JAX to BOS is only 2 hours so coach is something that we could handle for such a short time. In fact, Delta upgraded us to First Class for the domestic portions for $150 round trip about a week before our flights.... so, First/Business to JNB from JAX for $3450 total. Wow!

The flat-bed seats on KLM Business were quite comfortable even though the seating is 2-2-2 and you may have to step over a stranger if you're travelling alone and get a window seat. I was with my wife so we chose a window since flying into Amsterdam has very interesting views. The flight into JNB arrives at 11:00 or so with no viewing.

We had Gilbert at African Sky meet us and they had a compete tray of delightful snacks ready for our late arrival. One of the ladies left a bag in the airport baggage pick-up and Gilbert went back and retrieved it (amazingly).

As I've said above, I've done this a bunch of times and find it very worthwhile to shop U.S. departure cities for the cheapest Business class, sometime Boston, sometimes JFK and even IAD. Next year, I may depart from Orlando. The published fare from JAX to JNB is about $8000 via Atlanta. While it's non-stop ATL to JNB, I'd rather take a break en route and save almost five grand.

The Dutch firearms permit is not so hard. Just follow the instructions and it's worked every time.

As an aside and another high value option, I've flown Air France JFK or JNB to Paris/JNB several times and a 15 hour delay in Paris can be an easy treat. Plan the flight for the longest delay in Paris. I've seen them up to 15 hours. Then get an airport campus hotel room (Ibis Hotel, $77 US), take a shower, sleep a couple of hours, leave your roll-on at the hotel and take a $20 train to Notre Dame. The station is 50 yards from the hotel front door and the airport gates are less than 300 yards. A good, early supper in gay Paris and back in time for the 11:00 pm overnight flight into JNB.

This route is also more than 50% less than a Delta business ticket direct ATL to JNB.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7536 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote