New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia via Johannesburg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be flying to Johannesburg on June 27. We are staying overnight at the Afton House and then flying on to Lusaka the next morning. Other than SAPS 520, what will I need by way of documentation?

SAPS 520 section "D" mentions (4)In-transit permit and (5) Temporary import permit. I will be leaving the airport with my rifles but they are not being used in RSA. Will I be better off checking box 4 as in-transit or box 5 Temporary Import Permit? Also, will I need anything other than SAPS 520?

I tried to email South African Police Services on their own email site but my message came back as undeliverable. Imagine that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Posts: 105 | Location: Looking for the Southern Cross | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will need the SAP 520, the 4457 from US customs, and a letter of invite from zambian outfitter. Yup, same stuff as if hunting in RSA.

As for what box to check, I've done it both ways and both worked for me. You could ask when you get to the SAP office as well, that way you can't go wrong with whoever you deal with in that office.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments. We are planning to use a meet and greet service and will be sending the completed SAPS 520 ahead well in advance. Otherwise, I like the idea of asking the SAPS officers what works best.

Our outfitter has told us just today that letters from the Zambian PH were not much good when SAPS personnel told other hunting clients "in so many words" that a letter from a PH in another country was not worth the paper it was written on. Those hunters got through with a copy of the safari contract which apparently carried more weight than a letter from a PH in another country. Perhaps it depends on who you deal with when you get there.

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Posts: 105 | Location: Looking for the Southern Cross | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The contract should always be carried, I was remiss in not stating so. Bring a copy, not the original. Ya just never know.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
conditionone45,

The meet and greet service should have the gun permit in hand for you on arrival so the letter of invitation or contract should not be an issue but as advised you should have copies with you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote