THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Emirates airline begins testing passengers for coronavirus

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emirates airline begins testing passengers for coronavirus
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted
From CBS News

Emirates airline begins testing passengers for coronavirus

In a bid to resume regular air travel and increase the number of passengers willing to fly, Emirates airlines has begun conducting rapid coronavirus tests on passengers before they board a flight. The company said it is the first airline to do so.

The Dubai-based airline on Wednesday announced that passengers on flights to Tunisia were tested for the coronavirus before departing from Dubai International Airport. The results from the blood test, conducted by the Dubai Health Authority, were available within 10 minutes. The company said it is
"We are working on plans to scale up testing capabilities in the future and extend it to other flights," said Chief Operating Officer Adel Al Redha. "This will enable us to conduct on-site tests and provide immediate confirmation for Emirates passengers traveling to countries that require COVID-19 test certificates."

In addition to the rapid testing, Emirates also rolled out a new set of rules for passengers, including the mandatory use of face masks at the airport. The airline also said reading materials will not be available and food packaging has been modified to minimize the risk of contact. Passengers will also no longer be able to bring cabin baggage aboard flights.

Airline companies around the world are searching for ways to get back on their feet after the industry was hit by a steep decline in demand due to the coronavirus pandemic. The TSA on Tuesday screened a record-low of passengers, down 96% from a year ago.

The gradual changes implemented by Emirates shine a light on the potential solutions and their process could become more widespread as the commercial aviation industry tries to recover from the blow. CBS News' Khaled Wassef reports UAE flagship carriers such as Emirates and Etihad, say they hope to see a significant resumption of travel as early as May.

Etihad last week announced it will be trialing technology that can monitor the temperature, heart rate and respiratory rate of passengers at its hub airport in Abu Dhabi.

"We are testing this technology because we believe it will not only help in the current COVID-19 outbreak but also into the future, with assessing a passenger's suitability to travel and thus minimising disruptions," said Jorg Oppermann, vice president hub and midfield operations at Etihad. "We see this is another step towards ensuring that future viral outbreaks do not have the same devastating effect on the global aviation industry as is currently the case."

But while the tests may encourage more people to travel, as long as lockdowns are in place and landmarks, bars and restaurants remain closed, there may not be a significant uptick in travel in the near future.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1574 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Emirates cancelled today my LAX-DXB-JNB for next month. No surprise. I’ll call them next week to discuss rebooking next year.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Wonder if the passenger is given a copy of the test?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Ive had one Emirates flight cancelled from Seattle, yet the followup flight from Dubia to J'Burg is still on 36 hrs later, how do they think Im getting there for that flight. Just yesterday was emailed by Emirates that they pushed my Dubia to Seattle flight back by 1 day, again, how do they think I can make that anyway with the first departing flight cancelled.

Hope they will cover cost of a new CPAP machine since now I apparently can't take it on as cabin baggage, thos thieves at J-burg will have a new haydey with all the extra stuff they can now steal.

Ain't no way Im gonna put my meds ini checked hold baggage either.

Bottom line is looks like I might have to find a new airline to go to Africa if and when I do go after ll this mess is over.

Airlines can be so stupid, hey just like governments .

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just had the same thing happen, but mine is in July.
I’m still hoping Emirates and Zambia will be straightened out by then!!!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I understand Emirates is allowing booking in July.

But, forget Emirates and other airlines for the time being, and keep an eye on whether you will be allowed into the countries you are hoping to visit.

And what the rules are.

Many African countries have a mandatory confinement for at least 14 days, and I doubt any of us would accept that.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many African countries have a mandatory confinement for at least 14 days, and I doubt any of us would accept that.

Exactly. And, coming back you might possibly have the same problem. So, say for a two week safari, add another 28 days of potential non hunting confinement time! Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I won't be leaving home until I know for sure what is going to happen on the way there.

And for now at least, no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Forget the clueless, stupid, politicians championing total lock down or total return to how it was before.

It is not going to happen.

It is a wait and see situation right now.

No one know what immigration rules are going to be, in each country, or what airlines are going to be flying what routes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You’re right!
My biggest hurdle will be how the US and even California (LAX) opens back up.
Just keeping my options open.

Best regards, D. Nelson