THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Traveling on Emirates with a companion aka ammo mule...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling on Emirates with a companion aka ammo mule...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted
Hi,

For next year I am planning to go to Zimbabwe then to Zambia for hunting. Prior to my Zim hunt my girlfriend and I will spend a week enjoying non-shooting Safari activities at Victoria falls etc.. Then she'll head home and I will start the hunting.

Airline regulations state 5kg per person, however the 4457s for the two firearms are in my name. Not to mention the declaration for Emirates asks the ammo weight for each caliber. Do I declare the actual weight and then tell them we are divvying up ammo? I will be down to 5kg or less after Zim for the Zambia leg so her leaving is not an issue.

If anyone has done this I'd be interested in your experiences.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HiAndy,
First, congratulations on a great hunt and great trophies-you certainty put the miles in!

The very situation of splitting ammo occurred while I was checking into my Emirates flight in Houston last month.

There were three hunters, a father and his his two adult sons checking into the same flight to Dubai on their way to Zambia. All three Gus were on the father’s 4457, and even though they were traveling together and had an invite letter from the outfitter with all three names, the limit was 5kg. Emirates would not let them “split” the weight.

It was a scramble sorting the ammo for all calibers, and ammo was left behind. I was told by the Emirates supervisor that walked me thru TSA etc, that the 4457 ties the ammo to the passenger and the firearm.

As we all know regulations change from time to time.Presently, Emirates requires the passenger to upload the 4457, the invite letter and flight itinerary. An approval email is sent within three to five days.

A long post to your question- hope it helps.

Ciao,
Jack

Posts: 26 | Location: Hye,Texas | Registered: 06 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told by the Emirates supervisor that walked me thru TSA etc, that the 4457 ties the ammo to the passenger and the firearm

Yes.

You cannot change that.

And all airlines apply this.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66806 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tanks,

Just get a 4457 in your girlfriend's name. You then can both take 5 kg of ammo. It's simple and will avoid unnecessary angst on your trip.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12847 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
tanks,

Just get a 4457 in your girlfriend's name. You then can both take 5 kg of ammo. It's simple and will avoid unnecessary angst on your trip.

Mark

Mark, I am not sure that will work.

w5qzt covered it well in his response. The rifle and ammo are connected. When I visited with customs (it has been a few years and things change) the rifle and ammo need to match the traveler.

What rifle will tank's girlfriend use for the 4457?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A while back some told me he could not take ammo with him without a rifle.

Not sure if that still stands.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66806 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana338,

That's exactly what I was trying to relay. One rifle in tank's name (4457) and one in his girlfriend's name (4457). That will allow them to both carry 5 kgs of ammo. Problem solved!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12847 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And make sure her name is on the Invite letter- at least Emirates gives us a time window if there is an issue

Posts: 26 | Location: Hye,Texas | Registered: 06 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Bwana338,

That's exactly what I was trying to relay. One rifle in tank's name (4457) and one in his girlfriend's name (4457). That will allow them to both carry 5 kgs of ammo. Problem solved!

Mark

The problem with that is I am the one that is hunting and using both rifles. She will be leaving Zim before the hunt starts. It would not be a problem at Zim customs to have everything declared in my name, unfortunately then have an issue for trip back with Emirates permits.

I guess I will make do with the 5kg of ammo.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I'd be glad to travel to Zim with you just to carry a gun and ammo but not the girlfriend part. Eeker

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12504 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote