THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    South Africa Welcomes Back International Tourists In February 2021!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa Welcomes Back International Tourists In February 2021!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted
South Africa Welcomes Back International Tourists In February 2021!
by John Ollila - May 27, 2020

South Africa doesn’t plan to open its doors to international tourists before February 2021, based on the information released by the country’s parliament.

Business travel to the country is possible earlier (date unclear), while domestic tourism in South Africa would not return before December and international in February 2021.

Here’s an excerpt from the South African government:

The committees note that in level 3 of the lockdown commencing on 1 June 2020, that certain areas of business tourism will be able to operate whilst domestic travel will reopen in December. The much-anticipated international tourism will commence in February 2021. In the meantime, the Department of Tourism must continue to work closely with the Department of Home Affairs to ensure that the world-class e-visa regimes continue to be developed in more countries and implemented.

The Minister informed the committees that the department will submit the Tourism Amendment Bill after the finalisation of the White Paper on Tourism, which will be at the end of this financial year.

“In the meantime, whilst the department is drafting the Tourism Recovery Plan, we are confident that the liaison that is happening with the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs will ensure that local economic development finds its rightful place in villages, townships and small towns, which is where poverty, inequality and unemployment are more prevalent,” said the Chair of the Portfolio Committee, Mr Supra Mahumapelo.

Conclusion

When I was back in Johannesburg and Cape Town this February, it never came to my mind that the country would be soon closed for international arrivals for an extended period.

Tourism is an important sector, especially in the Western Cape. Not sure how all these businesses can survive a year without any revenue?

Let’s hope that there are positive developments on the Covid-19 pandemic so that South Africa could revisit this guidance and reopen the country’s borders earlier.

This is a good reminder that it doesn’t make much sense to make any flight bookings right now because it is unclear when countries are welcoming international visitors again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1570 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that sucks...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I saw that from the Zimbabwe Profesional Hunters association.

Glad I am not booked. I am looking at 2023.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well two problems with that, 1. there will be fewer operators and 2. everyone that was booked this year will be moved to next year assuming they're still eager to travel.

Slim pickings I would imagine...

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Many issues that will need to worked through.

1. Getting the different African Government to give a firm date on when they will allow international travel. And then if there is a quarantine period for those travelers. 14 to 21 day mandatory quarantine will be difficult or impossible for International travels on a 10 to 21 day vacation. I am not sure I would want to travel to Africa and then be placed in quarantine by an African government for 14 to 21 days.

2. What Airlines will be availabe that will schedule flights and where will they land.

3. Getting in country or country to country flight in Africa. All are shut down now and broke, who will be available. Then will they transport firearms.

4. Will another country develop as a hub to transport travelers to different countries. South Africa is having issues with all it airlines. Could you count on Namibia or Zimbabwe airlines?

5. What African airlines will still be in business. They are on the ropes now and looking for a government bail out or loan. Or still will a new airline develop from the current ones that are in trouble with default.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1570 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No word on Zimbabwe yet??

I am planning on flying Emirate's from NY to Dubai to Harare.

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:

nothing so far.

Reading Zimbabwe is having issues with quarantined individuals escaping from their lock down. It appears the mandatory government lock down was not feeding them so they escaped, chimed the fence, bribed the guards and walked out and so on.

The Zimbabwe government is keeping a lid on what is being put out.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
quote:

nothing so far.

Reading Zimbabwe is having issues with quarantined individuals escaping from their lock down. It appears the mandatory government lock down was not feeding them so they escaped, chimed the fence, bribed the guards and walked out and so on.

The Zimbabwe government is keeping a lid on what is being put out.

It probably resembles a human zoo and I wouldn’t trust a word that comes out of there.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:

My outfitter emailed me yesterday. Zimbabwe is to open within the next few weeks and Emirates to start flying August 1.

I asked the source in regards to Emirates and he stated that the PH association had received the info directly from the airline.

I checked LAX flights and starting July 31 departure there are flights showing going and coming back from Harare.

I am waiting on full confirmation and announcement from Zimbabwe side before booking any flights.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope that this is true!!

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Well two problems with that, 1. there will be fewer operators and 2. everyone that was booked this year will be moved to next year assuming they're still eager to travel.

Slim pickings I would imagine...

I have already been told this was the situation stretching into 2022.

Not worried about it. I have drawn some good hunts this year, and Texas is 30 miles away so I am covered for a while.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opus- Any Namibia rumors on opening? Thanks.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:

For US Citizens there is a Global health advisory: Dot Not Travel. avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.

Namibia - is level 1: exercise normal precautions.

I would say check with the US State department to see when you are able to travel to Namibia.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

My outfitter emailed me yesterday. Zimbabwe is to open within the next few weeks and Emirates to start flying August 1.

I asked the source in regards to Emirates and he stated that the PH association had received the info directly from the airline.

I checked LAX flights and starting July 31 departure there are flights showing going and coming back from Harare.

I am waiting on full confirmation and announcement from Zimbabwe side before booking any flights.

US citizens - Global Health advisory: Do Not Travel. Avoid all international travel due to the global impact of Covid-19

Zimbabwe - Level 2: Exercise increased caution.

Commercial Flights AvailableInternational commercial flight options currently exist in Zimbabwe.

For travel to Zimbabwe check with the US state department.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:

Crane - No, nothing from the Government or MET. They will most likely do whatever SA does. Which isn't at all helpful.

The delay and uncertainty is killing the travel and hunting industries in Nam. The pain is only spreading and a lot of good people and business are being destroyed.

Everything is for sale and several very desirable concessions and lodges are now available. Cash is king and deals abound. Brand new tourism vehicles are a dime a dozen now - that tells you where the industry is headed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based upon the information herein, it seems like any attempt to get to Namibia through Johannesburg this year is not happening. It appears that there are at least 2 other carriers who will fly into Windhoek when the borders open. When is the question?

Posts: 11942 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are trying to mount a trip next year and support our friends but will not go through JoBerg. So watching with interest....

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
We flew to Namibia last year on Qatar. Connecting through Doha and then to Windoek. Very enjoyable flight. We bought a hunt on the DSC silent auctions this year with a PH we have hunted with twice. We had South Africa and Spainfor this year and planned to do the Namibia hunt next year. But if Namibia opens and we can travel.....

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, it would be easier to tolerate the travel ban if it weren't so damned idiotic. In January Trump banned flights from China. This was appropriate. In March he banned flights from Europe. At that time the U.S. had few documented cases and Europe (esp Italy) was taking off. Again, appropriate. It's now the end of May. We've had >100k deaths in the U.S. thus far. (Assuming a 1% mortality rate that means at least 10 million Americans are already infected.) New York has been hit hard. Yet, I can fly to New York everyday if I choose. (Flight crew go there daily). Yet, I can't fly to Europe or Africa. When will these idiots realize that the virus is well entrenched here and that banning foreigners coming here or U.S. citizens going abroad isn't going to change matters. (New Zealand's travel ban makes more sense. They've isolated the few cases they've had and the travel ban almost eliminates new cases.) I sincerely doubt that I would incur more risk from the virus in Africa than NYC. What has been far worse than the virus are the actions of politicians to destroy the world's economy.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote