THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Delta requiring 700k in miles for business class ticket

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delta requiring 700k in miles for business class ticket
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is unbelievable but I am a Diamond 360 with Delta and just recently tried to get a BC ticket for (just me) in Oct/Nov. Most dates believe it or not for round trip were over 700k in miles. I have more than that but damned if I am going to use them for this. I am going to call Steve Turner to see what he may know but has anyone recently experienced this? I am sure coach would be around 200-300k but I did not ask.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got one for September for 375,000 miles.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for kicks try mid November. I had one previously also for 375 but the November blew me away.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally in low season it's 200,000 +/- for business ATL to JNB and high season its 360,000 +/-.

I guess 360K miles beats the $7,800 ticket.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wow, I just did Business Class, LAX to Durban and then Economy Class home, on United for 120,000 miles.

Business class both ways if you can find the right dates for saver fares is 180,000 miles.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All airlines pretty much devalue their miles/points at will. A recent one-way trip from Denver to Nashville cost me 25,000 United miles and 5 dollars.

Now I chose my flights based upon my convenience and cost, irrespective of airline rewards. Life is much simpler and travel is more pleasant.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
All airlines pretty much devalue their miles/points at will.

BH63

Yup.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
try using a Diamond global upgrade. For an off season ticket, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I am flying today and was able to use one to JNB. Hoping I get one on way home too...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most users find their miles are worth between 1 and 3 cents per mile when compared to comparable ticket prices. 700K sounds outrageous to me. I wouldn't do it either.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Delta seems to have raised their fares substantially over the last year. I'm not sure what their strategy is, but it's pissing me off. First Class tickets from Anchorage to the Lower 48 have about doubled (in the face of record low gas prices). Doesn't surprise me they're screwing you on the ATL-JNB flight.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Using Alaska Air miles on British Air is 160,000 miles RT for 1st class.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
If you're flying Delta out of the Southeast, you are paying more (dollars or miles) than any other passenger in the country.

Steve Turner and I talked about this in February when my buddy was able to fly biz class from SFO-ATL-CDG-DLA for $5k. For me, the same flight, but originating in HSV (100 miles from ATL) was $10k.

It all has to do with competition and major markets and there is a shortage of both in the Southeast.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Kosher or not, I often book a roundtrip Dellta flight out of IAD to Johannesburg with a routing that, upon return, stops in Atlanta (DL201), clears customs with a plane change, before going on back to IAD. I shop around and buy a one-way ticket to IAD, collect my bags upon arrival and then check in for the Delta flight through Amsterdam or Paris to Johannesburg, and when, upon returning home, I clear customs in ATL, I just take a $100 flight home to Jacksonville, FL.

A couple of times the ticket agent has allowed me to check my bag through to JNB even though I have two tickets, a one-way to IAD and then the IAD to JNB.

It saves $3500 to $5000 doing that rather than buying a ticket from JAX to JNB and return. I've paid less than $4000 for business roundtrip from IAD-JNB-IAD, btw... getting to IAD to begin the process is surely worth the savings, particularly since I can fly non-stop so cheaply JAX to IAD and seldom can't find a flight that stops in Atlanta coming back.

Another thing, even though I'm flying Delta aircraft except for the CDG to JNB or the Amsterdam to JNB legs, I book through KLM or Air France to get the cheaper fares. Same flight, just different code share numbers can make a huge difference in the prices.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7541 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What this says to me is that Delta is realizing that a lot of its frequent flyers are hunters, contrary to the hunters are a minuscule part of the population crowd.

Lots of businessmen and professionals hunt... The anti crowd, not so successful.

Hunters may have more pull with Delta than we thought?

Posts: 10562 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Kosher or not, I often book a roundtrip Dellta flight out of IAD to Johannesburg with a routing that, upon return, stops in Atlanta (DL201), clears customs with a plane change, before going on back to IAD. I shop around and buy a one-way ticket to IAD, collect my bags upon arrival and then check in for the Delta flight through Amsterdam or Paris to Johannesburg, and when, upon returning home, I clear customs in ATL, I just take a $100 flight home to Jacksonville, FL.

A couple of times the ticket agent has allowed me to check my bag through to JNB even though I have two tickets, a one-way to IAD and then the IAD to JNB.

It saves $3500 to $5000 doing that rather than buying a ticket from JAX to JNB and return. I've paid less than $4000 for business roundtrip from IAD-JNB-IAD, btw... getting to IAD to begin the process is surely worth the savings, particularly since I can fly non-stop so cheaply JAX to IAD and seldom can't find a flight that stops in Atlanta coming back.

Another thing, even though I'm flying Delta aircraft except for the CDG to JNB or the Amsterdam to JNB legs, I book through KLM or Air France to get the cheaper fares. Same flight, just different code share numbers can make a huge difference in the prices.

Dammit, Ernest! Now everyone knows! Wink

Karl Evans

Posts: 2742 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
If you're flying Delta out of the Southeast, you are paying more (dollars or miles) than any other passenger in the country.

Steve Turner and I talked about this in February when my buddy was able to fly biz class from SFO-ATL-CDG-DLA for $5k. For me, the same flight, but originating in HSV (100 miles from ATL) was $10k.

It all has to do with competition and major markets and there is a shortage of both in the Southeast.

HSV is notoriously expensive. Thank all the gov contractors for that.

Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham or even driving to ATL are almost always cheaper than Huntsville IME.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
American / British Airways 240K miles round trip first class. If you book early and are flexible on dates. They stick it to you if you have to use Any Time miles.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote