New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delta EC+ to Business Class
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are heading to Namibia August 11th, and have had our reservations for a few months now, having booked Delta EC+ for the ATL to JB legs.

Question: Has anyone, or is it possible, to get a discounted rate to upgrade from EC to Business Class when you check in at the gate? IF it is reasonable, depending on seat availability obviously, we may be interested.

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi JC,

I have always tried to upgrade, but have had no luck. business class always full except once. Flying on a 747, Atlanta to Joburg, there was no one in the business class section. I asked about upgrading, but no luck. The stewardess said they did not have enough staff on board to service that area, so it was closed. I offered her $500.00 to let me sneak in there and hide. She did not go for it damnit.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we went last August the fight was over booked, Delta was offering $1000 Delta dollars to anyone that would take a bump. We reserved our seats in March and couldn't get anything but economy. I doubt you will be able to get any kind of an up-grade but, good luck.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been a Platinum Sky Miles Member for years and have been accidentally bumped up front once in 30+ flights.

You either pay or use your use miles or use a buddy pass to fly up front.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is there usually a option to pay for upgrade when you're checking in then, based on availability of course?

I was hoping there would be some sort of last minute discount if a guy's willing to pay? Figured it would be better for Delta than flying with open seats.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. You can pay the full ticket price for Business Class.

There are no longer any shortcuts to get up front, plus you are traveling during the busy season and available seats are few...

But there is no penalty for trying so you never know.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JG: Sent you a PM

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help KEvens. Much appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been told on an overseas flight that I could not pay for an upgrade because the meals had to be pre ordered... Not sure if that is true or true bullshit....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I reckon that Delta's ATL to JNB flight is one of the toughest upgrades there is.

I've done it a dozen or so times with zero luck on upgrades despite platinum status and plenty of miles.

Conversely, I flew through AMS one time and got the upgrades for 300 Euro and a few miles and through CDG twice and got upgrades for cash only.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it will be a tough upgrade. What's frustrating is talking to the dolts there at Delta. One day you get one answer, another day/person you get another answer, no two being the same.

I'll prob wind up slumming it in EC+ on the bulkhead with free Bud Light's and half an ambien.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good news, all drinks are free. Don't stop with the Bud Light.

BTW - Six Scotchs = 1 Ambien - From my experience that is...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Good news, all drinks are free. Don't stop with the Bud Light.

BTW - Six Scotchs = 1 Ambien - From my experience that is...

Excessive alcohol not only makes me sleep good, it makes me dance very good and sing like George Strait. Will the other passengers appreciate my talent?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give it a whirl. It's not like they can pull over and let you out.

However there was this one time that they tried...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha! After further thought I may have to stick to a couple of brews and ambien.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
While this is my first trip to Africa, I have made many trip to Europe. Here how I beat the lag to Europe. First when they are serving drinks when you board, 2 to 3 Johnny Walker's. Then the wine with Dinner. Next Bailey's after dinner, then its nap time. I usually wake up about landing time ready to go. Hope that helps.

No Beer, I don't want to be getting up to use the used Beer shop all night.

Posts: 750 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The problem with trying to depend on the upgrade is you are required to buy a certain class of airfare ticket, which is more expensive. Then, you are not guaranteed the upgrade; therefore, you're likely just spending more money on the same seat with the slimmest of chances of getting the upgrade. And, you better have some pull regarding medallion status, like Diamond, or nothing.

I looked at this option for my trip in 2014 being a Diamond member. It was safest to go ahead and book the Business Class seat, which I did. Keep in mind, that not only is this the busy season for safari hunters, but also the majority of the Business class seats will be filled with business people, who their companies pay for the business class seat when traveling abroad. And, Joburg being a major jumping position to other business destinations in southern Africa countries.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote