New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is this allowed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How is this allowed. I got stuck in the middle seat with a 350 plus pound women at the window. She did not fit the seat she was half in my seat. On my flight to London - 10 hours of pain.

She was so big and into my seat I could not access my seat belt on her side.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Go Business or First.

Seriously, this should NOT be allowed.

The other day two hippos, masquerading as women, were DEMANDING upgrades instead of them paying for two seats.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
This happens to me every time I get on a plane. I can tolerate it on a short flight but I fly business for the flight to Joberg. I just couldn't imagine being trapped like that for 16 hours.
YES something should be done about this!

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Go Business or First.

The other day two hippos, masquerading as women, were DEMANDING upgrades instead of them paying for two seats.

Would not happen in business or first cause she simply would not have fit in the pod.
I need to upgrade out of coach.

She was 5-2 at best and close to 400.

She could not open food table - she just set the tray on her belly.

I could not use my seat belt that is just wrong and making a scene would have publicly humiliated her.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Happens to me most of the time. I have rather broad shoulders and do not fit into a regular seat very well to begin with and have to sort of sit at a bit of an angle so as not to bother those beside me. So when I get stuck next to a big person or someone obese, it sure makes for hours of misery.

Last time I flew I wend to my seat as people were boarding...turned out to be the middle of three seats. Next thing you know I see the fellow passengers coming and both of the other seats were assigned to a couple of players from one of the CFL teams. We looked at each other and one of them laughed and said "No Way!" So a nice flight attendant juggled things around for us with a few other small passengers and using empty seats on the flight. All worked out well, but normally it doesn't.

It's nice to say go first class or business but the vast majority of us cannot afford the price of them.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Go Business or First.

Would not happen in business or first cause she simply would not have fit in the pod.

I could not use my seat belt that is just wrong and making a scene would have publicly humiliated her.

Mike

So what? Maybe a little humiliation would spoil her appetite and lead to weight loss! animal Seriously, unless a flight is less than 1 1/2 hours, I fly first or business. I’m too old to tolerate this bullshit. old

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was against the rules to take off or land without the belt on?

The flight attendants screwed up on that one.

Posts: 10590 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

May be they looked the other way.

Imagine if they tried, and the belt would not fit, our flying hippo would scream THEY ARE FAT SHAMING me. clap

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I’m telling the flight attendant. I did this once on a moderately large individual. Didn’t work. But, Fatties are supposed to buy two seats if they can’t fit in one.

Unfortunately, we have grown so tolerant that the airlines won’t make a stand for fear of someone filming it and them getting “canceled” over fat-shaming.

Don’t care. I’m still saying something. That’s not right.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If you are traveling with someone, you can buy three seats and just keep the center seat open if business class is prohibitively expensive. It’s not biz class, but you aren’t a sardine either.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
I got wedged in middle between two one time. Terrible situation. Should be a weight limit like luggage.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have always said weight should be applied to painters and their luggage.

Much fairer than charging for luggage.

Human hippos will stop flying! clap

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Go Business or First.

Mike

Should have suggested she go in a cargo plane next time. A C130 sounds about right for her.

Posts: 3854 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
quote:
Go Business or First.

Mike

Should have suggested she go in a cargo plane next time. A C130 sounds about right for her.

Funny you mention cargo.

Last year I was traveling from Stockholm to Dubai.

I arrived at the Emirates check in.

A line was forming at the economy counter, but no one was at the First/Business counter.

I stood there, when a lady walked behind the counter, looked at me, and said “passenger line in there sir”

Pointing to the economy section.

I said “I am traveling cargo”

She stopped and looked at me “cargo?”

I said “Yes cargo. Isn’t that what they load first?”

Suddenly it sank into her, and with a big smile said “Oh! Sorry sir, I will be with you in just a minute!”

As I gave her my passport, she looked at me and said “cargo!” Shaking her head, and added “I like your sense of humor sir”

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

No I think the rule is that seat belts are not required to be worn provided passengers are wedged in tightly that's why Mike chose the hippo, he doesn't care for seatbelts dancing

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We were in Johannesburg, in a taxi going to break neck speed on the high.

A friend of mine who is a bit over weight, was in the front seat, and was complaining about the driving.

I said "I am sure glad I have my own air bag!"

He asked if there was an air bag in the front too.

I said no, HE is my organic airbag!

He was not very happy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tough crowd. Confused Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
Tough crowd. Confused Smiler

+1....(but funny) rotflmo

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have no sympathy for morbidly obese people who think they are entitled to their space and mine. They ate themselves into their disability and I shouldn’t have to give up my space/ life style because of their gluttony. Tough crowd, tough shit! thumbdown

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I have no sympathy for morbidly obese people who think they are entitled to their space and mine. They ate themselves into their disability and I shouldn’t have to give up my space/ life style because of their gluttony. Tough crowd, tough shit! thumbdown

You are an evil man!

You have no sympathy for fat slops who should have been born hippos! clap

And have no business travelling on airplanes! jumping

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I have to side with Jerry, your ticket price should be based at least in-part to your weight.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote