New
Find
Notify
Tools

basic luggage question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My question really doesn't have anything to do with Africa, or even hunting. Its simply an investigation into a better suitcase solution for general travel. Though I really want/demand a hardshell case for those times I might transport a handgun and/or ammo.

I have a matched pair of basic old Samsonite wheeled hardshells. I guess they're OK, but because of the wheels, side handle, curvature etc they are quite ungainly for the interior volume they provide. Feel flimsy, too. I have the idea that a truly rectangular box with no gingerbread would be better, even if it is much heavier. I've looked a bit online and see nothing of interest, save something like the Pelican 1600 case; $191 MSRP with no interior foam; 2790 cubic inches. Probably fine for shorter trips or trips to warm areas, but I'm thinking the capacity of typical medium size cases would be better, say 4000-4300 cubes. Given the prices of luggage, I'd much rather put the money towards something simple and badass like a Pelican rather than consumer grade stuff.

Any recommendations or ideas?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couch- I have the Pelican 1610 with wheels. It is a great, bomb proof way to go. You should try a search here. One person suggested that a "Stanley Tool Locker" or something close to that is a good way to go. I have seen these in Home Depot and they do look god- wheels and hasps fpr a lock. If you can access the SKB website you will see a buch of options for comercial/industrial applications. I have one of these for going to Alaska when I know absolutely that I will be overweight.They were ramping up some of their product to take padlocks as well.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did see some SKB cases online, I noted down their ATA model 3SKB-2218M as a possibility. I'll try to find that Stanley product.

As for wheels, that's part of the gingerbread I want to do without. Just gives something for the gorillas to break.

I did search, but all I came up with was discussion of gun cases & packing lists, not plain ol' luggage. But you know how it is, without the right keywords its hopeless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couch,

I own Storm cases for regular travel - moving electronic stuff - Rifles etc. Outstanding product. I tried everything else before and like the storm line the best.

http://www.stormcase.com/StormMilitary.htm

http://www.stormcase.com/NewsStormCase.htm

Good luck, thumb
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couch- You may want to reconsider the wheels. When leaving the US many readers here claim their bags at the last airport to ensure that the overseas carrier had them checked on board. It makes checking the lost baggage trail much easier. Everytime I have done it there seems to be conderable distance between the domestic and international areas and the wheels were much appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Considerable" is what I meant. We scrapped out our old Samsonites when TSA got rolling. We needed those cheap keyed locks on the suitcases to keep them shut and the new rules changed all that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland, I did look at the im2700 and im2720 online, they look pretty good. I wish they had something in between the 2700 and the 2900 series. I'd be tempted to get one in yellow simply because it would be that much harder for a thief to walk off with, plus it would really stand out on the luggage carousel.

Is there a way to connect a rifle case to a Storm equipment case?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couch,

The have a lot more stuff, check it out.

http://www.hardigg.com/

"Is there a way to connect a rifle case to a Storm equipment case?"
Besides to strap them together I don't know if there is any other way. But give them a call.

Good luck,
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couch Tater:

As suggested earlier, try a search on this forum and "African Hunting" for similar topics. There was a recent one in the past month or so. I recall it as I was asking questions similar to yours.

I have done some research on the web and it looks like www.midwestcasecompany.com and www.cases4less.com have some of the best prices on Storm and Pelican products.

Good Luck.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
As suggested earlier, try a search on this forum and "African Hunting" for similar topics. There was a recent one in the past month or so. I recall it as I was asking questions similar to yours.

Found it. Easy to search when you have a username and approximate date to work with! Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts were much the same as yours....I bought a used Pelican 1650 (for a suitcase)and a used 1750 rifle case on Ebay for under $200 for both.....shipped.

The only problem is that the empty weight of the cases are pretty high....so loaded they may well be overweight. But that is just a nominal fee ($25 last time I was over weight headed to Canada)

DRSS

Posts: 122 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote