New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo in soft suitcase?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if it is OK to put ammo in a soft-sided suitcase (checked baggage) if it is in a smaller locked hard container? I'm trying to get some weight out of my two rifle case and stay under 50 pounds.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, i do it all the time.

Posts: 11957 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
Better check with the Airlines just to be sure, and try and get it in writing/print if you can. The last time I flew and wanted to, the airline I used told me "NO AMMO, NO WAY PERIOD" on the plane; checked or otherwise. Then they gave me a bunch of greif at check-in with the rifle, even though I called ahead to get all the rules etc.
That was some time ago though.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brice;

Ditto "larryshores" response. We pack our ammo in a plastic (hard sided) ammo can type container and put it in our duffles... We have traveled SAA, British Airways, American, Air New Zealand, Qantas, NW, KLM, Air Botswana and have never had a problem. Plan to do it again in 8 days via British Airways.

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ditto "larryshores" response. We pack our ammo in a plastic (hard sided) ammo can type container and put it in our duffles... We have traveled SAA, British Airways, American, Air New Zealand, Qantas, NW, KLM, Air Botswana and have never had a problem. Plan to do it again in 8 days via British Airways.

Did it in May this year on Lufthansa and Air Namibia with no problems.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just took 100 shotgun shells in their original boxes stuck inside a nylon bag which was in turn placed inside a soft duffel bag on a trip to Argentina this month. They were inspected. Not a problem.

Some agents are jack asses. They are going to give you grief no matter what.

I have flown with ammo probably over 100 times packed this way and have never had a problem.

Posts: 11957 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
Interesting...

I've been told that twice (no ammo). A very long time ago by TWA (I said long ago, ha ha) and they also made us hand carry the bolt, and check the rifles separately.
Then this latest time by America West, about 5/6 years ago. They also insisted on putting big orange stickers on the case saying "firearm" which I thought to myself was kind of dumb, but also refused to insure it for damage or theft. That after having to get them to get a manager because the clerk didn't want to check it as baggage at all after getting there.

Maybe my problem was asking first on the ammo part...?

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Gonna take 'em TSA-locked up in a small toolbox inside a duffel again in a week. Stick with hunter friendly airlines, I guess. Delta and SAA never gave it a second thought. United may be different this time, but I doubt it.

BNagel

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew United and SAA back in May, no problems with the little metal box with ammo inside my soft case. in fact no one even looked at the ammo box, and it was TSA locked.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done it many times both domestic and international and only had it questioned once right after 9/11 and the supervisor got it straightened out immediately. Should not be a problem.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made 4 trips across the pond during last year and this year and always carried my ammo in the boxes provided by Superior Ammunition and put them into my duffle. No one has ever said a thing.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the Selous and flew Emirates. on the way there put all ammo in the rifle case with ok at jfk. on the way back folks at jfk made me take ammo out of rifle case and put in soft side luggage. Go figure.

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
on the way back folks at jfk made me take ammo out of rifle case and put in soft side luggage. Go figure.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Rediculous. TSA regs (and most airline internal policies) specify that ammunition MAY be transported in the same locked hardside case as the firearm(s).

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
We just flew United/SAA over & back with ammo in factory cardboard boxes, no metal box, in soft duffel bags with our clothes.

No problems with flying the ammo. No problems with Delta/SAA last year doing the same thing.

United Customer service is another issue altogether.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote