New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rookie flight questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have not taken a flight longer than 6 or 7 hours in 30 years - since I went to SE Asia, in fact. And then, we usually had several stops along the way.

So -

1. The doctor gave me Ambien CR for a sleep aid. I have heard mixed reviews and comments that the "regular" Ambien is better, as you can take a partial tablet, etc. The CR version is not to be divided or chewed, must be taken whole. Anyone had any issues with it? Or is a Valium or two a better solution?

2. Anyone flown Delta Business Elite from Atlanta to Johanesburg yet? What kind/how much entertainment is available? Shuld I bring my own portable DVD player and discs?

3. How much noise is there? I am a snorer myself, yet am still bothered by others. Is it prety difficult to sleep?

I have to admit that I am nervous about spending 17-18 hours cooped up on a plane, which is why I used my miles to upgrade to Business Elite. Just how bad is this flight?

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Well, nobody else seems to be answering, so.....

1. I start sleep-depriving myself a couple of days before the flight (also helps with jet-lag). A couple of Ambien, Lunesta, Tylenol PM, or whatever else you like, along with 3 or 4 Bloody Marys, and the flight is half over at least. It's not like you're doing the driving.

2. There's a half-dozen or so movies to choose from on the flight. By the time you fly over and back you will have seen them all. Take a couple of books, your MP3 player, DVD player, try to pick up the stewardesses, and do whatever else you do to survive air time.

3. See #1 above. It's the same amount of noise as any other airplane. Also, next trip I'm going to try some of those individually-made custom form-fitting ear plugs. But it's really not a problem for me; I sleep through earthquakes and tornadoes.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1559 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew Delta Business elite to Italy a year ago and as always, anything is better than coach. I did have my own dvd player and discs mainly so my wife could watch movies of "her" choice. Food, drinks and service was good. When I flew to Jobergh last August it was on the SAA air beast and I watched Mision Imp. III several times due to lack or what I wanted to watch. I did not take any sleeping aids while on the plane, I personally just don't sleep on planes well but took them in camp to get my days and nights straight. I read several books, visited with friends and did whatever I could do to occupy my time but the trip over is a beast in itself. I try to consider it part of the adventure. Going over you will be so excited about the hunt it will go pretty good, coming home is when the business class will come into play more and you will be glad you have the space and better seat. I will probably fly coach when I go back and use the extra money saved for trophy fees when I return next august to Namibia but if you can go business or better,, always a easier trip......Buy a journal and when you get a chance, record what you did and what you saw and experienced during the flight, hunt, meals etc. My journal entries are invaluable to me when I go back after several months. All the days after awhile will run together and being able to re-read what you saw each day, what you ate, your trackers, etc., will highlight any photos or video you film. You can buy a small leather bound blank journal at any book store and I kept it in my backpack so when having a break from the action or at night I would record what the events of the day were and they are pricelss to me now and probably worthless to anyone else! drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other tip. your own headphones such as Bosie noise reduction/ combination audio or equivalent will be a big help to you as well. The ones most airlines give you will have your ears paralyzed in hours. The noise reduction feature is helpful if you do want to try and sleep.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Calif.hunter,

Valium if you have a script are better in my exprience than Ambien but others swear by it. Business class is just far better than coach on any airline. I think the noise will not be an issue. Between the drinks, meals, snacks and a long nap the trip will probably go by quite quickly. Have fun and good luck.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12841 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plain old benzedrine (sp?) or Benedryl (again, sp?), an antihistamine and the active sleep ingredient in Tylenol PM is very effective for me as a sleep aid. It will dry your sinuses, which can be problematic for some when flying, so be aware of that. Otherwise, it has no side effects I'm aware of and wears off fairly quickly. It is available over-the-counter just about anywhere. Take it, either alone or as a combination with acetamenophene as Tylenol PM (great combo if you happen to have a headache or other minor malady) an hour or so prior to when you want to sleep and it will be effective for six to eight hours. Don't use it less than eight hours or so before you wish to be awake and alert.

Posts: 13213 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for my 2 cents worth - i hate to take drugs of any type so i'll try to sleep or twiddle my thumbs or whatever. business class is much better, but unless you can get it on air miles its becomes very very expensive. my wife comes along for the lasst 8 trimes or so, thus we'd have to buy 2 tickets. for for 6-8 thousand dollars i can put up with being uncomfortable for a day. this year we've got the business class tickets, but we got them for air miles

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take long flights regularly. The single thing that has made a huge difference for me is noise reducing headphones. I never take drugs but I try to get on the plane short of sleep and that usually works aided by a large, not too exciting, book on economics or history.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take long flights on a fairly regular basis.

Business Class is always better. But, those are only perks for work and with the high cost of Business Class, I agree with Butchloc. I just deal with being uncomfortabe for a day. If you are traveling for pleasure, traveling for 17-18 hours is only a small annoyance. Particularly on a hunting trip.

Many times I take a couple of Dramamine about 1 hour prior to departure. Although if I need to work, I take nothing and can never seem to fall asleep.

Personally, I have really never found airline entertainment that exciting regardless of the class of service.

Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 55 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
Sonata or Lunesta. Try them a night before you go though. lunesta is bad about causing a metalic taste the next day in some people.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the flight schedule hasn't changed from when I last flew to Joburg a method that works vey well is to stay up for the first half of the flight watching movies, reading, etc. Halfway through the flight (or when you land in the Cape Verdes) pop your Ambien and sleep until landing. When you arrrive it will be roughly 8am local time and your sleeping schedule will be right-on.

Any way you slice it, the trip is long but you can make it easy on yourself. Get up & walk around a bit and make sure to flex your legs a bit. A friend suffered from blood clots on the SAA flight and it was quite an ordeal.

Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 983 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta has a different schedule. You arrive in the late afternoon, so I guess it would be best to sleep in the middle of the flight?

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I take warfarin (coumadin), amiodorone and digoxin for a heart condition. Does anyone know if:

1. Ambien can be bought without a prescription?

2. Ambian is safe to take with my powerful (and potentially dangerous) medicines?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A prescription is required for Ambien, as well as most of the more popular sleep aids. Only over the counter meds such as Tylenol PM which is mainly just acetamenephrine and benadryl. You better talk to your cardiologist about any additional meds, whether sleeping meds or malarial meds, etc. before you head over. The strong blood thinner coumadin and digoxin to regulate your heart beat and blood pressure can have adverse effects and reactions with certain classes of drugs. Seriously, check with your cardiologist before you add even an aspirin. drwes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill: Good advice to check with your own doc, as everyone is different and reactions are not always alike. My wife also has both a small heart condition and clotting disorder. She takes a maintenance dose of 10 mg of Wafarin, plus several other meds. Her doc prescribed both Ambien CR and Sonata for her, and they both seem to work the same when she tested them prior to our recent trip. The Ambien leaves her slightly disoriented when awakening, so she used the Sonata. She also took Larium as a malaria prevention. The Malarone has a very adverse effect with blood thinners, and we were cautioned against that. No problem with the Larium, except she was wired and couldn't sleep the first night after taking it.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not confuse benzadrine with benadryl. They are two very different meds. Benzadrine is an amphetamine (UPPER) and will have you running circles around the airplane. Benadryl is an antihistamine with some sedative qualities.Works for most people.

Ambien is a life saver for me on long flights. It is the one sleep aid that does not leave me groggy on wake up. I would not do it otherwise if I could get it. Talk to your doctor. Usually they will give you enough to get through the trip unless you have a medical reason not to take it. Good luck. "D"

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote