Find
Notify
Tools

Zanzibar
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
Hello, my wife and I are looking at spending a week in Zanzibar. We are thinking of two days in stone city and the other days at a beach somewhere.

I have read older posts but most of them are from 2007. There are a few newer ones.

We would greatly appreciate any advice on hotels, restaurants... We are looking to go at the end of August.

Thank you

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Favorite Beach Hotel in Zanzibar is www.seacliffzanzibar.com
A Magic Place

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ve recently read about Zanzibar and the slave market. Fascinating but tragic place.

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Mboga, thank you. I will have my wife check it out. It looks really nice. Are there other restaurants to eat at nearby?

I should probably find a book just dedicated to the histoy of Zanzibar. Of course in other literature it is mentioned for slave caravans, explorers...

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there with many different People. All where enjoying it.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Stonetown I can recomand the www.jafferjihouse.net

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Jafferjihouse, you or someone mentioned that hotel in a hunt report. That is our lead hotel in Stonetown so far.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Jafferji House. Best location and fantastic authentic hotel. Stayed there last July.Book the "Sultan Suite"
http://jafferjihouse.net/
Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides Stonetown, Slave market/Anglican Church, Sultans palace, your wife might enjoy going on a spice tour. You see plantations of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg,etc. See how it is grown and refined.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
Besides Stonetown, Slave market/Anglican Church, Sultans palace, your wife might enjoy going on a spice tour. You see plantations of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg,etc. See how it is grown and refined.

In The Last Slave Market, he mentions that as the old dhows would approach the island, the first thing they would smell was cloves.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The name ZANZIBAR is an adaptation from the Arabic ZINJIBAR.

Which means the land of the Negros.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66661 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Well, that makes sense.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13093 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

In The Last Slave Market, he mentions that as the old dhows would approach the island, the first thing they would smell was cloves.

It is aromatic.

Mom used to buy the dried cloves when we were in Dar and grind them up. We used to make homemade clove ice cream.

I used to love the clove gum, then they stopped making it years ago. We found out the manufacture did a limited run last year and we stocked up on it and the pepsin gum that they also had a limited run on.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We use cloves, ground, in coffee.

We use it whole, in cooking

Locally we call it "nail". Because it looks like a small nail.

Posts: 66661 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool They do look like nails.

You are much more proper than us. As kids we called them penises. shocker I guess you can tell where our minds were.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cool They do look like nails.

You are much more debonair than us. As kids we called them penises. shocker I guess you can tell where our minds were.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We still call pistachios HORSE'S TEETH.

And peanuts MONKEY SHIT! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We use cloves, ground, in coffee.

We use it whole, in cooking

Locally we call it "nail". Because it looks like a small nail.

Funny, as a kid I always called it mace because it looks like the medieval weapon...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to go. Heard there was a gazelle that only lives on Zanzibar. Anyone know about that? Wouldn't mind going to see the sites and for the furniture to bring back, especially if I could sneak in a little hunt.

Posts: 9933 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Always wanted to go. Heard there was a gazelle that only lives on Zanzibar. Anyone know about that? Wouldn't mind going to see the sites and for the furniture to bring back, especially if I could sneak in a little hunt.

Zanzibar has been turned into an internationally over-publicized tourist attraction and destination and evolved into the typical "trinket" market for the naive westerners.

The Zanzibar Duiker or Aders Duiker is listed as critically endangered even though there is a relatively healthy population of these tiny antelopes, similar to the Suni, in the densely forested areas.

I have not heard of there being any present on the adjacent Island of Pemba but see no reason why there shouldn't be any.

Hunting one of these miniature antelopes may not be wise unless you properly research the legality first; what may be feasible in Zanzibar may land you in hot water back home.

Posts: 1856 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
what may be feasible in Zanzibar may land you in hot water back home.

tu2 Same with some other species in Africa. Make sure you're legal in your country of origin in bringing back the trophy BEFORE you pull the trigger. I had one PH who advised me on an animal as to its legality, stating that it was legal to bring it back to the U.S. I didn't shoot out of an abundance of caution. Turned out I was right and he was wrong. Big Grin