Notify
Tools

OR Tambo Luggage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted
Hey folks,

For those in the know/traveled there recently...can someone remind me of the new "No soft sided luggage" coming through the airport rules? Flying into/out of Joberg in May and recall something about having to wrap your bags or something like that.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
A while back I switched to these for hunting travel.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/...el-case/air/1535trvl

Though I think I will be able to fit everything in this for ammo etc. and also have a soft carry on.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/...rry-on-case/air/1535

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
I made there just before the change and the only thing I remember is that it had to have a flat side so it did not roll around.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When did that rule come about? Anyone have a link to the announcement?

Went thru there last March and used a wheeled duffle with no issues.

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
New baggage policy at OR Tambo International Airport
New rules for checking in bags of irregular shape and size have been applied at OR Tambo International Airport.

The aim is to prevent blockages and breakdowns in the baggage handling system caused by bags that do not have any flat surfaces or that have long straps or grips as per the International Air Transport Association (IATA) guidelines.

Bags that are round or do not have a flat surface of any kind are the largest source of jams in the baggage handling system.

These jams can shut down sections of the baggage handling system, delay baggage delivery to aircraft and inconvenience passengers and airlines.

The new baggage rules are:

Only regular-shaped bags will be allowed at check-in counters;
This means that the bags must have at least one flat surface to be accepted on the check-in system;
Round or irregular-shaped bags will not be allowed at check-in counters; and
Bags with longs straps will not be allowed at check-in counters.
Passengers trying to check in bags that do not conform to these rules will be offered the option of having their baggage wrapped with one flat side at airport approved baggage wrapping stations.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Ok...so sounds like rolling duffels with a flat side will still work. I appreciate the responses folks!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WLW...Thanks for that..I’m good to go.

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
I go in & out of OR Tambo ever year & flew in ok with a Travel pack no problem but the rule change came in while I was there, may not be a problem but I wrapped my bags (travel pack & Duffle) on the way out just in-case !

I have never had a problem flying in or out of Joburg even with firearms & picked up 10's of hunters with firearms again no problem, even when one had wrong paper work, it was smoothed out in short order, not even a cool drink offered lol !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Wife and I flew through there last November. Each had a duffel. No problem. The reason we had duffels was the charter service we used from Maun to the Okavango Delta REQUIRED only duffels. No hard sided luggage. I can see where this would present problems.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
this is what I experienced.

the SCI blue bag was a no go.. it did not have a flat side.

so all you need to do is put some card board in the bottom and then tape your bag. that way you get a flat side.

that is all it took.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1572 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen those guys that wrap bags at check in, put cardboards on one side before wrapping them to comply.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am heading over later this year . I need to take a backpack to train for a sheep hunt which will start about 3 weeks after I get back.

How do I get it over there ?

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Larry... I have seen them in carry on... way bigger that a flight sized case. one guy's back pack took up the entire bin over someone else's seats.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1572 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Larry... I have seen them in carry on... way bigger that a flight sized case. one guy's back pack took up the entire bin over someone else's seats.

The backpack I need won’t fit in an overhead bin. It is quite large.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Have you looked at KUIU system? You could put the frame which is the rigid part with luggage and carry the rest. It should compress to fit.

https://www.kuiu.com/shop/packs/pro-pack-system/

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Have you looked at KUIU system? You could put the frame which is the rigid part with luggage and carry the rest. It should compress to fit.

https://www.kuiu.com/shop/packs/pro-pack-system/

I happen to have one . Good idea!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a recent trip thru Joburg, I had no problems with a duffle other than being broken into both trips thru the airport. Stole vitmin supplements going in and a couple of T shirts on the way home.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
On a recent trip thru Joburg, I had no problems with a duffle other than being broken into both trips thru the airport. Stole vitmin supplements going in and a couple of T shirts on the way home.

Way to go for Africa.

"Self determination" in action clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, in all of our trips thru OR Tambo this was the only time we’ve realized a bag had been broken into (might have happened in the past but we haven’t noticed it) and this was the only time I’ve used a duffel, and the last.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Last time we flew to Tambo, I had a camera bag.

When we got to collect our luggage, it was not there, and suddenly an Emirates employee appeared with it.

He said they do not trust that airport with anything remotely valuable!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I don't use luggage with Zippers anymore.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I have an older "FishPond" carry on roller bag.

This is the bag I check going over and carryon returning.

It has small outside pockets, a zippered body with a fold over flap that is held in place by 4 compression straps.

This bag take some time to get into. I have it locked with my ammo case inside it. One time in Joberg two of the straps were loose, however the bag was not broken into. Gracy agents in Joberg were looking for the bag. Another reason that I forward pictures of my bags to Debbie and Bruce (Africa base) that I take along on a trip. They have them on/in a cart waiting on me to get through customs.

I just wished when I purchased 2 of the bags in Hood River, Or. I would have purchased the 3rd one also.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't use luggage with Zippers anymore.

I too, haven't used zippered luggage for years. Saves on thievery to use hard side luggage with no zippers. Last time I did use zippered luggage, I had a brand new (unused) camera stolen and a brand video camera (slightly used) stolen. It all happened within seconds, the thieves did it with a pen, and then moved the zippers back and forth to reseal them. You wouldn't have known that someone had been in your bag, if you hadn't checked it. They're still at it at O.R. Tambo, Vic Falls, etc. etc. etc.