THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Need a SAPS form just passing through Jo'burg?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a SAPS form just passing through Jo'burg?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I was re-reading T. Carr's encyclopedic travel tips post, and came to the part about needing a SAPS Form 520 if traveling to or through Johannesburg. I'm flying Dulles to Jo'burg to Windhoek, with only a short layover in Jo. and assume I do not need a SAPS form. I am correct?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you never leave the internatonal terminal and check your baggage straight thru to Windhoek you are correct.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im also in that situation, thanks for the answer Wink

Odin

Posts: 188 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Die Ou Jagter is correct. I did exactly what you are describing last month. I checked my guns through from the US to Harare, did not pick them up in RSA, and did not need a SAPS form. Similarly, I flew from Harare to Windhoek, through Jo'berg, checking the guns to Windhoek. Again, I did not need a SAPS form in Jo'berg, as I did not pick up the guns or leave the airport. And one last time, I flew from Windhoek, back to the states, with a short stop in Jo'berg. Again, the guns were checked all the way to the US from Windhoek, and I did not need any SAPS form in RSA.
Don't worry.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So that also means there is no point in hiring Optima or some other similar service?

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
As Die ou Jagter said if you do not leave the international airport terminal and made sure you checked luggage and rifles straight through to Windhoek you should be fine. No SAPS 520 or Optima if it is a straight forward connection flight. More important is to check you turn around times as these can sometimes be a pain.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote