THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Current Info on Knives Through Amsterdam

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current Info on Knives Through Amsterdam
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted
Does anyone have any current intel on transiting Amsterdam with a knife in checked baggage?

I found some old threads from 2011 that suggested folding knives could be a problem but fixed blades were either OK, or at least no one reported any problems with a fixed blade in checked baggage.

I've got an upcoming trip to Tanz and will be going through Amsterdam for the first time. As if the firearm transit permit wasn't enough to worry about, now I'm concerned that if I put my everyday folding knife in my baggage I'm going to get a hassle - or worse, they just won't put my bag on the flight to Dar.

If anyone has any current information I'd be appreciative.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to get a definitive answer on this question if that is any comfort. I wouldn't carry a folder and I wouldn't carry a fixed blade I cared too much about through Amsterdam.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
with all this BS, I wouldn't even transit Amsterdam.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13137 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
These silly rules are becoming more stupid by the day!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff:

You might check with Steve Turner at Travel with Guns. He's a good source of information but as of October of last year, there wasn't a firm answer. Folders are a definite NO-NO in Amsterdam -- I have no idea why. Fixed blades, noone seems to know.

What I'd do personally, which is not advice, is put a small, cheap but decent quality fixed blade in my duffle and leave it upon departure, but I never said that.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
with all this BS, I wouldn't even transit Amsterdam.....

+1

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I take literally dozens of knives with every year. Both that close and straight ones.

In fact, the customs men at the airport joke about me using the knives to hunt with.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with Christy at Gracy Travel about a week ago. She told me: NO folding OR FIXED BLADE KNIVES in checked baggage (or carry on) thru Amsterdam (includes in transit)
That's what I was told, anyway.
So I am advising all my clients of this.
If anyone finds out otherwise, please post it.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
This will be my first - and last - trip through Amsterdam. Any and all future trips to Tanz will find some alternative route, no matter the cost or additional time required.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I believe this applies to broadheads as well, if bow hunting.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote