THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Cost of Malaria medications and Cipro tip

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of Malaria medications and Cipro tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picke up my medications yesterday for an upcoming trip to a "malaria area", got an antibiotic for treatment in the event of an intestinal disorder and a malaria tablet, in this case Antovaquone Proquanil (Malarone). My wife's prescription cost $0.00 at Walgreens and mine cost $123.00 at CVS. Last year mine was $16.00 at the same store, same insurance and same stores. Kind of ridiculous.
We've always carried Ciprofloxin (Cipro) for any intestinal isues and I have used it on one occasion. While on a hunt in SA easrlier this year, also in camp was an ER Dr and I am still limping a bit from tendon repair surgery last December, after a couple of days he asked why I was limping. I explained the problem and the fix and the first question he asked was if I had taken Cipro. He said I should be aware of the possible side effects, which include spontaneous tendon rupture (which is what I had), mostly in those of us us over 55 years of age. So,those of you in my age group might want to read the warnings regarding the use of Cipro before taking it, I wish I had known this before I used it. Just a hint that might help some of you avoid what I had.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Good info, thanks.

I’m highly resistant to taking about any medication, but got a z-pack just in case. In the interim I did some research and learned about products using bovine colostrum to prevent or treat travelers diarrhea, some of which have been tested by the army with good results.

I found a product called Dia-ResQ, which is a powder you reconstitute with water then drink. The main ingredient is colostrum. I bought some and also a travelers probiotic which had a lesser amount of colostrum. I took that before meals. One day at Shaba I woke up with a dodgy/loose gut and it seemed i’d be chasing my tail all day after a morning a acquainting myself with the loo. I took a dose of the Dia-Resq, told my guide we might be making unexpected stops, then hit the bush. Was fine all day. Took another dose in the evening just to make sure. Things firmed up and I was in tip-too shape the rest of the trip.

I know it’s anecdotal, but I’ll be taking this stuff whenever I travel.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the tips. tu2 Quite useful! tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hahahaha!

I called my doctor and asked for Malarone for 7 people going on a 21 day safari.

He said "send your driver to collect them"

I did.

I asked my driver how much he paid.

He said "They did not ask for any money"

I called the doctor and asked how much I owe him.

He said "A steak dinner"

Nice to have friends who never give you anything for nothing! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Thanks for all of the tips. tu2 Quite useful! tu2

Ditto

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Hahahaha!

I called my doctor and asked for Malarone for 7 people going on a 21 day safari.

I did.

He said "A steak dinner"

Maybe the Doctor was one of the 7 going on the safari?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Hahahaha!

I did.

He said "A steak dinner"

Maybe the Doctor was one of the 7 going on the safari?

No.

I don't think he has ever shot a gun either! rotflmo

Someone here suggested he was glad to be free of us for 3 weeks! rotflmo

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If doctors in Dubai make house calls, maybe you should have him come to your house so he can admire your reloading room and correct his lack of shooting by shooting your . He could become a “Hero” (and treat his own shoulder)!

Karl Evans

Administrator
posted Hide Post
He is too nice to play tricks on! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He is too nice to play tricks on! Big Grin

Hah! But a steak dinner can be extremely pricey!
Sounds like a good man.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote