THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    JoBerg & Port Elizabeth...Later arrivals?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JoBerg & Port Elizabeth...Later arrivals?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
All, I'm headed to SA for my first ever safari and really running my head off trying to figure out the flights and the like.

My current (tentative) flight schedule has me leaving LAX on July 22nd, arriving in JBerg at 545pm on Monday. I am planning to use Delta.

I have no idea how long it would take to check through immigration/customs/permits/firearm checks etc. even with a Gracy/Air2k meet & greet.

The issue is that the joining flight to PE is at either 745pm or at 630 am. Both flights give me the willies on the timing. If I catch the late connector to PE I'm twisted on a shorter timeframe to check firearms, etc. If I take the early AM flight out I'm not sure about checking firearms for a domestic SAA connector.

BTW, planning to use Delta. It seems to be the preferred airline...Lufthansa is useless, British Air is a nickel-and-dime madness, and SAA is...well...SAA.

Sorry if I'm not making sense...I'm rather confused in a big way...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Immigration will likely take you 15 to 30 minutes and your bags will probably be waiting for you. In July, I would strongly suggest using Gracy or someone to clear your guns and let them know you will be connecting so they can give you prority.

If I were doing the same, I would probably use Gracy and make sure Bruce would be there to assist me in getting my guns cleared and on to the next flight. There is no way I would risk a 6:30 flight but I would feel comfortable with Bruce's help in making a 7:45 flight.

You're going to be dogassed tired when you get into PE that evening. Spending the night in JNB wouldm't be a bad idea.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert: Based on my limited experience (8 trips) I think you would be better served to spend the night in Joburg (I prefer the new City Lodge at the airport) and book the SAA 10:15 am flight to PE the following morning. Even with Air 2000 expediting things it still takes at least and hour to claim bagged and go thru customs and the SAPS office. Domestic check in and firearms check in takes quite a while, too, probably 45 min to an hour. On my last two trips we stayed at the City Lodge and simply walked across to the airport and checked in with no worries about traffic and so forth and will be doing it again this June. Simply my opinion; but you will have a blast and be addicted like so many of us on this forum.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Safari Club, near the airport and it is small and very informal, good breakfast if you don't have to leave in the early morning. Honor bar on the second floor and usually two nice selections for dinner. They will even bring your dinner up to the bar. Rooms are clean and nice size. Prices are good.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another vote for flying out the next morning. My advice is to stay overnight in Joburg and make sure that you use a reputable meet and greet service. It's worth the money, and it will spare you from a any potential disaster by doing it on your own. The reputable meets and greets are all recognized by veteran airline employees and others, and they make it so much easier to get you there in one piece, with your guns and luggage and without any unnecessary hassles. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for flying the next morning. All it would take is for one thing to go wrong and you will miss your connecting flight if you only have 2 hours to make it. Flight could get in late and my last time thru there it was over 2 hours before our guns made it to the SAPS office to even start the permit process.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue and thought we could make it. Well, our Dulles-JoBerg was delayed for hours dues to a battery issue. Obviously, we missed our connection and SAA put us up and rebooked us for the next morning. It was a pain, however trying to get with the outfitter picking us up in PE upon our scheduled arrival time.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you just check everything through to your final destination?

Or do all firearms entering SA have to be cleared in Joberg? No SAPS in PE?

Overnight in Jo'berg is gonna cost you $3-400 when all said and done.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to clear customs In Jo burg If you do not have a 3 hour layover it is best to stay the night. Use one of the clearing services associated with the lodge you are staying at if possible

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote