New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toronto Customs ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the middle of firming up flights to Deer Lake for Sept 2020. I've heard the horror stories about clearing customs in Toronto with guns, but what is it equally as difficult coming and going clearing customs without a firearm? In other words, should a guy try and avoid Toronto no matter what? Thanks.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JG,

If you can go through Halifax you'll be happier. I found Toronto not an issue going in with Canadian Customs but the airport is a zoo. Air Canada is just a mess. Going through Toronto US Customs is confusing also and a long process. I'd much rather pitch up anywhere in Africa than go through Toronto again.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12849 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So if I have no choice but to transit through Toronto, without a firearm.....

When connecting back through Toronto returning home, I know I have to clear US customs in Toronto, but do I have to retrieve my checked bags to clear customs or not?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
So if I have no choice but to transit through Toronto, without a firearm.....

When connecting back through Toronto returning home, I know I have to clear US customs in Toronto, but do I have to retrieve my checked bags to clear customs or not?

Depends....if you have a firearm, US customs will want to see it. That means, they will call your airline and ask the airline to find your firearm and bring to customs. That can take hours. Depends on how busy they are. Would not bring firearm.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:

Depends....if you have a firearm, US customs will want to see it. That means, they will call your airline and ask the airline to find your firearm and bring to customs. That can take hours. Depends on how busy they are. Would not bring firearm.

I am confused. Why would it take hours for the US customs to clear firearms?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
So if I have no choice but to transit through Toronto, without a firearm .....

one of us
posted Hide Post
JG,

Toronto is a PIA but hundreds of hunters pass through there every year. I think the most important thing if you have to transit Toronto Airport is not to make reservations that give you anything less then 3 hours between flights arriving Toronto and departing for Newfoundland and the same on the return. It takes a long time to get everything in order. You'll spend a bunch of time waiting on the return for US Customs to call you up. It is a goat rope but you can do it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12849 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah,Toronto. I have spent a lot of time in that airport, and truly love the fact that I no longer need to do so.

Canada has two official languages...which makes it all the more astonishing when you meet so many airline and other employees who can apparently speak neither of them...

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now! That was funny!

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have not been through Toronto in years, but the only problems I remember were with US immigration. They looked at my passport one time and said -- so you claim to have been born in Texas. What was the name of the hospital?

Generally the US people in Toronto were more difficult that the Canadian officials, but this was ten plus years ago.Such trusting souls.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I have not been through Toronto in years, but the only problems I remember were with US immigration. They looked at my passport one time and said -- so you claim to have been born in Texas. What was the name of the hospital?

Generally the US people in Toronto were more difficult that the Canadian officials, but this was ten plus years ago.Such trusting souls.

Funny you said this.

Last year we were in Toronto, and were met by someone working at the airport.

We got through both customs and immigration very quickly, everyone was very friendly and helpful.

We had no firearms.

But he did mention that people going to the US encounter a lot of problems with US officials.

Hew said "frankly, some of them are just a bunch of assholes"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66836 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

Customs will call your airline and ask them to bring your firearm to them to inspect. All depend how quickly airline does this. Last time,it took 2 1/2 hrs. Customs is not the issue. It’s the airline getting firearm to Customs to inspect.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Funny you said this.

Last year we were in Toronto, and were met by someone working at the airport.

We got through both customs and immigration very quickly, everyone was very friendly and helpful.

We had no firearms.

But he did mention that people going to the US encounter a lot of problems with US officials.

Hew said "frankly, some of them are just a bunch of assholes"

Unfortunately it is true.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Customs will call your airline and ask them to bring your firearm to them to inspect. All depend how quickly airline does this. Last time,it took 2 1/2 hrs. Customs is not the issue. It’s the airline getting firearm to Customs to inspect.

So how long should a guy expect to wait if he has no firearm? I appreciate the responses so far, but I will NOT have a firearm. Some connections coming home are tight, and it is important for me to know what to expect. Thanks again.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you are connecting with another airline, through an International airport, there are few points to bear in mind.

If your arriving and departing flights are in the same terminal, I usually like to have a minimum of 2 hours in transit.

If your flight requires you to go to another terminal, I prefer to have 3 hours.

If your flights are tight, it might be an idea to book one of the meet and greet services to get you through quicker.

I do that if I fly through certain airports.

Makes life much easier.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66836 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

I think there is a contingent of US customs that are assholes. Anti-hunting or something. They hold up the inspection until your plane has left, then let you go. I went to the Air Canada counter(who were very gracious and friendly) and they issued a boarding pass for the next flight. They said there is usually a seat or two because US customs always holds up some hunters which frees up some seats on the next flight.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote