THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Question on Firearms through JNB

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Firearms through JNB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Planning for a trip next year to Eastern Cape of South Africa.
(Hoping this global pandemic subsides!!!)

Looking into airfares and planning a stop at the Afton House.

I found that South African Airlink is the only airline that transports firearms.

BUT they have a limit of "ONE" checked bag, and the gun case counts as a bag as well as the mass limit being 20KG max. My gun case plus two guns masses out above that 20KG limit.

I reached out to Afton House to get their thoughts, as I will be using them to help with the SAPS permit. They said only one bag is correct and that I should try to pack everything else in my carry on (Carry on limited to a mass of 8KG). They also said the excess baggage and overweight fees are excessive.

Has anyone had any experience on guns through Johannesburg.

Last two trips, the wife and I flew Business class but this time I am in the back of the plane and will be flying alone.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
I am a bit perplexed and confused.

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
After doing it in 2018, I have decided to rent next go-round. They have got it down to a science getting maximum tipping opportunities for all the buddies. You also need a separate, locked case for ammo for internal travel to P.E. (Even the cops have their hands out.)

Connecting to international terminal from domestic on the way back is a trial -- letting a porter chat you up while taking you through is worth a tip (to me.)

The weights are definite and serious. Expect a 200 buck charge for exceeding it. Not sure that applies to "sport equipment" which your gun case will be.

At the time an overnight stay was required if making an in country flight. Hence Afton House etc.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can take a second bag, they just charge you extra. Ditto if overweight.

I’ve travelled on Airlink numerous times and this has been the way I’ve done it.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years since I've flown on Airlink but I've never been charged for an extra bag if it was a direct connection in JNB without an overnight stay. Bags and guns would be checked through to my final destination from my departure airport (JFK) I flew out of JFK so I could avoid an overnight in Joberg. Since it was a direct connection with the international flight the international flight baggage limitations applied.

What will happen once flights resume is presently unknown. You might want to check if you can make it to Port Elizabeth without an overnight stay in Joberg.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Damn sad that traveling has become so costly. When I started traveling to Africa, internationally, two bags of 70 lbs each were allowed, plus your carry on and another small item. Seems that they are going to charge themselves out of business. Unfortunately, SA Airlink is the only game in town with firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to stay Afton House, contact them and they will handle everything. Paper work will be sent to you to fill out, they will get preapproved, when you get there, Mr. X will meet you and take you through. That way you can just relax .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
If you are going to stay Afton House, contact them and they will handle everything. Paper work will be sent to you to fill out, they will get preapproved, when you get there, Mr. X will meet you and take you through. That way you can just relax .

They are the ones that told me about the hassle.
The excessive fees for the overweight and extra bag.
They said my gun case should be my only checked bag, and EVERYTHING else should be in my 8KG carry on.

That is why I reached out here...

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Bixby:
They said my gun case should be my only checked bag, and EVERYTHING else should be in my 8KG carry on.

I don't see how that is possible if you have your own ammo.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't over think it "just yet", as by next year, SAA may be back in the game to PE.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! I agree with Terry. All of this may change for next year. I would just wait on any arrangements for a few months.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Don't over think it "just yet", as by next year, SAA may be back in the game to PE.

Yep...and I know PHASA has been actively working on other solutions. May be a couple of options by next year, I hope so.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would just wait on any arrangements for a few months.

In the meantime, why don't you also contact Africa Sky and get their thoughts on this? Should be free for the asking. They have similar services and I have found them to be quite excellent. FWIW: I have also used Afton House many times as well. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Firstly, I recommend getting tickets, SAP Import documents and all "Meet and Greet" services arranged through Gracy Travel, or Travel With Guns all in one stop shopping. They will also have the correct answer regarding baggage and weight limits!

Then, do you NEED two rifles? [the outfitter surely will have a spare or rental if something happens to your primary].

I have stayed repeatedly at Africa Sky and recommend it.The City Lodge in the airport also seems a reasonable choice for a quick overnight and early morning departure.

Finally, as others have noted, I think things will evolve quite a bit up to and through early 2021.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
With all the hassles imposed by airlines, government entities and TSA, I have a two word solution: Camp Rifles. My last three trips to Namibia, I used a suppressed.308 and a very accurate Mauser 8 X 68 mm both topped by Leupold scopes supplied by my PH, Jan du Plessis. I no longer even check luggage, I carry on a Red Oxx bag containing toiletries, meds, underwear and 3 pairs of pants and 3 heavyweight cotton Cabellas Serengeti shirts. I zip through customs in London, JoBerg and Windhoek and beat the lines at baggage claim to get in the front of the line at Customs.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
In addition to the items mentioned earlier, I buy some Cuban Montecristos at the Duty Free Shop at LHR.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JNB has become such a pain in the ass that it's good to avoid it if you can. They do make camp rifles a more attractive option.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been transmitting JNB with firearms pretty regularly since 2007. In the last couple of years several times a year......it seems to me it's getting easier, not harder. I use gracey travel to handle my temporary import permits and it's pretty seamless.

ICE not ATL is a little cumbersome, understaffed in my opinion. But I take two and sometimes three firearms each trip. Sometimes my gun case is overweight, oftentimes not. To me it is worth the charge to have guns and ammo that i,know well and trust.

Also, to me guns are more than just tools, they gain value for me with experience!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote