THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Cell or sat phone rental in SA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell or sat phone rental in SA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Two friends and myself are leaving the 28th for SA for our 1st trip and like a crack head getting everything ready. Our question is in reference to phone rental once we arrive and which is better. We got a quote today for a sat phone out of Florida that is $100 dollars for the rental and I believe it was $100-$110 for 60 minutes. Can someone else weigh in on renting one of the phones at the airport and what is the fee for doing so. Also is the phone charged to a credit card in case it's not returned? Thanks

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't think you need a sat phone in South Africa, as most of it is covered by cell reception.

Also, you might look into the possibility of asking your PH to purchase for you a pre-paid sim card with the amount you might think you need while there.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
100 % , most of SA has cell phone coverage. Check with your outfitter which service providers service works there best. Apparently Cell C's rates to the US are the cheapest and one can make international calls from a pay as you go with them . It might be worthwhile having your outfitter get you a cheap cell phone ahead of time and top it up with a cell C pay as you go card -- if Cell C has good reception in his area. The other service providers are MTN and Vodacom.
Some camps have Wi Fi which would open up comms for you with a US smart phone.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that you already have a US cell phone, make sure that it has been unlocked by your carrier. The easiest way is to call them and then submit an on-line form. They will give you or text you an unlock code - hang on to that number. Most carriers will do this in a day or two but best to do it a week before you leave.

When you arrive Johannesburg and are walking out of the international terminal, hang an immediate right. You will see the MTN office on the right. Plop down a whopping $20 to $30 bucks for a prepaid SIM card including a data plan. That will get you 2 to 3 hours of time and 10 MBs of data.

Remove your old SIM and insert the new card. Enter the unlock code for your phone that your US carrier gave you, then enter the new SIM 4 digit number (memorize your 4 digit MTN code because you will need to enter it every time you turn your phone off and back on) and Bob's your uncle.

If you run out of time, just about everywhere in SA sells reload PINs and many hunting camps keep an inventory of them for their staff. DO NOT FOLLOW the reload directions for MTN. Instead, dial *132*, the new PIN number, followed by # (no spaces). The MTN directions are wrong - TIA.

Remember to KEEP YOUR OLD SIM card safely tucked away. You will need it when you return to the states. Also, get a new battery for your cell and make sure you have a 12 volt charger. Just about everyone in SA has a cell so you can always borrow a charger if needed. Also, if you do not already have Skype on your phone and/or computer/Tab, do it. When you have access to WIFI, use it rather than your MTN card.

The only time I rely on my sat phone is in a few places in Namibia, parts of Botswana, most of Zim and most of Mozambique. I don't know about Tanzania or Zambia but would imagine a sat phone would be quite handy there.

I sold my Extreme and switching over to Iridium GO. IGO is a little more bulky than a handset, but much more flexible.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for suggestions and the issue with the sim card is I have a I-phone. As far as I know I can't replace the sim card like you could with the older phones. Didn't think about using skype, been looking into that as we have a couple kindles and lap tops. That might be the best option, thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just call your cell carrier and explain that you will be going to RSA. They will give you a temporary 30 day international plan for like 30 bucks which will include a number of free texts and charge you about $1.00 per minute or so for your roaming long distance. Turn your data roaming off as that stuff will kill you in costs. Get data for your phone, iPad, laptop etc when you can use the camps wifi. Most camps in RSA have Wifi. Also, you should get phone service about most of the time when traveling in RSA as you will be roaming and using other providers local towers.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or just pick up a used cell that takes a SIM. Will cost you a few bucks and you will make that back in no roaming fees and lower cost calls. Just buy a new battery.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I have an iphone and the contract with my carrier was so easy that we used it in SA..no problem calling and texting is SA. I could even send photos from the phone back to the states for everyone to see.Check with your carrier and see if they have a one month or less contract for fixed rates. there is an app called viber that works in WiFi areas in SA over the internet.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a I phone call your carrier and tel them you are going to SA they will hook you up with a plan

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will call my carrier and see what they can do.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I got a SIM card from Telestial. I put it in an old unlocked Blackberry and it worked great in Paris and South Africa.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had good Verizon reception in July in the Limpopo.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote