Find
Notify
Tools

Qatar Airways
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted
Has anyone flown Qatar Airways to South Africa and connected in Doha? Impressions on their business class?

Thanks,
Charles

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 632 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I haven’t flown Qatar yet, but will be later this year from San Francisco to Dar es Salaam, layover in Doha, in business class. My understanding is that it is very nice with great service. I too am curious to read what others who’ve flown them think. Particularly interested in reading about your experience in their procedures and handling of firearms.

Posts: 3831 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely the best. The wife and I flew Qatar business in 2019 from DFW to Doha then on to Windhoek. The Qsuites have no comparison. The service is unmatched. 5 Star rating and I believe it was rated #1 best airline in 2019. You won’t be disappointed.

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem with firearms on our Qatar flight. Be sure you don’t pack anything that can be considered firearms related in your carry on. The Doha inspector decided my cartridge belt was not allowed and confiscated it along with a screw driver set. I could understand the screw driver as a weapon but not the cartridge carrier.

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I’ve flown with them from ATL to JNB 3 times in business and scheduled again in September. As good as it gets. They are the equal of Emirates and generally $1200-1700 cheaper. Don’t have a clue about firearms though.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We flew with Qatar Business class after Christmas, UK to NZ via Doha. Masks and visors supplied. Unlike Singapore Air they don't wake you up to tell you to put your mask back on.
As good a flight experience as you are likely to get during covid!

Posts: 282 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...sitting in one of the few open restaurants in Joburg waiting for my Qatar flight later today. Service is excellent as usual. There are a few changes though, I’ll post something tomorrow evening.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2716 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only lounge open is Emirates and it wasn’t open when we came thru two weeks ago.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2716 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update on lounges...Qatar opened at 5:00 pm.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I have a little over a year so hopefully things will have reopened. When Qatar Airways became an option for flying on my AA miles I thought that may be better than going through London. It also sounds like Qatar business is better than AA / BA business.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Here’s another thought. If you use AA miles on BA, you have to pay taxes as if you bought a business class ticket- well over $1000 for your “free” ticket.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Here’s another thought. If you use AA miles on BA, you have to pay taxes as if you bought a business class ticket- well over $1000 for your “free” ticket.

It gets expensive if all of the travel is on BA. I have done four trips round trips first class and the highest I paid was $602 by only doing one leg each way on BA. On Qatar doing business it is $75.15 round trip for the taxes vs $3500 to buy the ticket.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Jerry is correct. I can’t see why anyone would use AAdvantage miles to fly to Africa on BA. I booked AAdvantage award travel, SFO-DAR for October, using aa.com and selected the Qatar business class flights. Total cost was $96.00 and 150,000 for miles. Screw BA.

Posts: 3831 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jerry is correct. I can’t see why anyone would use AAdvantage miles to fly to Africa on BA. I booked AAdvantage award travel, SFO-DAR for October, using aa.com and selected the Qatar business class flights. Total cost was $96.00 and 150,000 for miles. Screw BA.

Qatar wasn't an option last time and I would rather pay $602 for first class and use miles earned through work than buy a coach ticket.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think I would fly ANY airline if I have a choice to avoid BA.

Used to fly them many years ago before Emirates came along.

Last time I flew with them to Canada, First Class, I was not too impressed. On the same route, I flew Air Canada, Business, in Canada, and found both their lounges and food much better than BA.

The BA desk manager at the lounge was not too impressed when I asked him why they changed their name from BOAC to BA.

He did not know.

So I told him.

Better On A Camel was changed to Bloody Awful!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66706 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In the good old days - BOAC!

Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom

Back in the U.S.S.R. - The Beatles

Both mention BOAC. Bobby calls it Bo-ack. The Beatles say Bee-Oh-Ay-See.

I’ve never had anything but the best service from British Airways, including when traveling with firearms.

I’ll be flying Qatar Airways business class to RSA via Doha in a few months.

I’ve heard that it’s better than Emirates.

But I will have to experience that to believe it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew BA many times and thought they were a little cut above the rest. When they started charging a fuel surcharge on a mileage ticket that amounted to a coach ticket in price I became disenchanted.

I'm getting good feedback on Qatar and Ethiopina has been a stellar performer throughout the pandemic.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Qatar business class is top notch.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX just flew over to Joberg via Qatar. I am heading over on Qatar the end July. He sent me a message and said the trip was "easy peasy". Hope to have more details

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
In the good old days - BOAC!

Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom

Back in the U.S.S.R. - The Beatles

Both mention BOAC. Bobby calls it Bo-ack. The Beatles say Bee-Oh-Ay-See.

I’ve never had anything but the best service from British Airways, including when traveling with firearms.

I’ll be flying Qatar Airways business class to RSA via Doha in a few months.

I’ve heard that it’s better than Emirates.

But I will have to experience that to believe it.

Michael you are dating yourself.

Come to think of it, me too as I remember all those!

I've flown Qatar Air many times on business and to SA from Boston. Transit through Hamad Airport couldn't be easier.

Don

Posts: 26535 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
Qatar business class is top notch.

Fully agree specially when you compare it to any U.S based Airline.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

Administrator
posted Hide Post
European and American airlines have lost the plot

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66706 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Simply put, the Middle East and Far East airlines are ALL superior to ANYTHING the west has to compete with. I’ve flown business/ first on AA,BA,Air France, KLM, Iberia, and a few others. No comparison....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emirates was very gun friendly ,two of us brought four rifles, but checked paperwork along the way and back. Definitely want your paperwork in order. Flew San Francisco to Dubai short overnight then to Zambia quick stop then to Harare. One of the better airlines.
Curious if Qatar is as gun friendly with the rifles as Emirates . Does anyone have experience flying Qatar out of the west coast LA, SF, Seattle to Tanzania, Zambia, or ? What aircraft does Qatar use out of the west coast?

Posts: 655 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
Emirates was very gun friendly ,two of us brought four rifles, but checked paperwork along the way and back. Definitely want your paperwork in order. Flew San Francisco to Dubai short overnight then to Zambia quick stop then to Harare. One of the better airlines.
Curious if Qatar is as gun friendly with the rifles as Emirates . Does anyone have experience flying Qatar out of the west coast LA, SF, Seattle to Tanzania, Zambia, or ? What aircraft does Qatar use out of the west coast?

From the west coast, Qatar flies A350’s. 15 1/2 hours from SFO to DOH.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew ORD to ORT via Doha with no problems, but check everything that has to do with your guns and ammo, and COVID tests.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
I flew ORD to ORT via Doha last week with no problems, but they check everything that has to do with your guns and ammo, and COVID tests.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
I flew ORD to ORT via Doha with no problems, but check everything that has to do with your guns and ammo, and COVID tests.

In the USA sure, elsewhere in the world not so much.

Posts: 746 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeDemocko:
JTEX just flew over to Joberg via Qatar. I am heading over on Qatar the end July. He sent me a message and said the trip was "easy peasy". Hope to have more details

Yep. Its much more flying time than Delta, but the food and the service was much better. 15.5 hours from IAH to Doha, then 9hours to JNB. instead of 3. to ATL then 15.5 to JNB.

The airport in Doha was first class and easy.

Had a six hour layover on the way, got a room at the Oryx hotel in the airport for a nap and a shower, money well spent.

The neatest part was arriving in joberg at 7:00 am, no overnight in joberg.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote