THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Question firearms, ammunition through Dubai

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question firearms, ammunition through Dubai
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All,
Back in June I posted a question about transiting with a firearm through Singapore en route to Douala, Cameroon.
This was on Air NZ, connecting at Singapore with Ethiopian Air for onwards to Cameroon.
Firstly, allow me to say to all who expressed doubts of this being possible through Singapore may be entirely correct. My travel agent jumped all the hoops and it looked looked like we had the process down pat so flights were booked. Anyway, I don't know now whether Air NZ and Ethiopian are getting cold feet but both want to distance themselves from a firearm through Singapore. Mutually, my travel agent and I are unhappy with this so we are now looking at Emirates to Dubai, possibly overnighting there before connecting to Ethiopian for onwards to Cameroon, via Addis Ababa.
So, my question ( hoping some AR members have actually done this ) is whether Dubai Airport security will automatically hold my firearm and transfer it to my connecting flight next day ? And, what about ammunition which is usually in my checked in bag. Do I have to retrieve this and hand over to security also ?
At this stage I'm considering overnighting in the hotel/s within the airport to avoid immigration / customs processing but I don't know the costs yet. Any suggestions on this also would be appreciated.
I think the Dubai layover is about 20 hours or so and I don't know if an economy flight booking qualifies for the free hotel night from Emirates I know some travelers received.
Thankyou all in advance.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1988 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
First of all bear in mind that each authority, whether an airline or a country, have their own regulations relating to the carriage of firearms.

Your travel route involves several airlines, and several countries.

Some countries, the UAE for example, will only deal with airlines carrying firearms, as I am not aware that you can actually get any permits directly from them.

Transferring your guns to another airline, will have to involve that airline in obtaining any relative permits.

You might be better off dealing with a travel agent who is familiar with this sort of route.

Not sure whether Emirates would provide you with a free hotel room while in transit to another airline.

They do if you are flying Emirates after your transit.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66714 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew DFW-Dubai-Johannesburg in April. Secured gun permission ahead of time and had no problems. But, our layovers (coming and going) were only about 4 hrs.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
I flew DFW-Dubai-Johannesburg in April. Secured gun permission ahead of time and had no problems. But, our layovers (coming and going) were only about 4 hrs.

He is flying multiple airlines.

Which does complicate matters.

It means each airline has to be aware that he is traveling with firearms, and each airline has to obtain permission to carry them.

Posts: 66714 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were able to fly Emirates all the way then this would be no problem. Their firearms handling, even with overnight layovers, is absolutely first rate.
Any fare price differences would, in my mind, be far outweighed by the efficiency and reliability of their service.
Their regional offices , both Oz and NZ have always been helpful when I’ve had enquiries. Talk to them.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Pancho, Ridgeman
Thankyou for your comments.
After twice flying Emirates with firearms I have total confidence in their system. It works.
Checking all baggage through to Douala would be my preference but unfortunately Emirates does not fly to Cameroon, hence the need to connect to Ethiopian after a long Dubai layover.
My travel agent is trying to sort how to get my firearm from one carrier to the other at Dubai. Currently waiting on airlines advice.

Posts: 1988 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had only frustration so far trying to get this sorted. Both I and my travel agent sent multiple emails to several parties asking specifics but just getting waffle basically. We can't really make sense of answers from Dubai Police and Emirates, and Ethiopian Air seems to have a policy of very minimal email response.

Specifically, what I would like to know, preferably from someone who has done it, is what the procedure was from arriving in Dubai with a firearm on Emirates, laying over for a day then connecting to Ethiopian Airlines. I know the firearm goes into Dubai Police custody but cannot for the life of me find out if Police automatically collect the firearm or if I collect and present to Police, then whether Police deliver the firearm to me for check-in with Ethiopian or whether I first collect from Police somewhere just before check-in.

Can anyone help, please ?

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
I've had only frustration so far trying to get this sorted. Both I and my travel agent sent multiple emails to several parties asking specifics but just getting waffle basically. We can't really make sense of answers from Dubai Police and Emirates, and Ethiopian Air seems to have a policy of very minimal email response.

Specifically, what I would like to know, preferably from someone who has done it, is what the procedure was from arriving in Dubai with a firearm on Emirates, laying over for a day then connecting to Ethiopian Airlines. I know the firearm goes into Dubai Police custody but cannot for the life of me find out if Police automatically collect the firearm or if I collect and present to Police, then whether Police deliver the firearm to me for check-in with Ethiopian or whether I first collect from Police somewhere just before check-in.

Can anyone help, please ?

I have a similar situation, as my son and I leave in just over a month, flying Emirates from SFO to DXB, about 36 hour layover to see Dubai, then taking Fly Dubai over to JRO in Tanzania. I’m not worried. Gracey Travel is obtaining my firearms permission with Emirates, Dubai police will take custody of the guns and put them on Fly Dubai. I’m not worried about our rifles showing up in Arusha. Each leg is a direct flight, so opportunities to stuff things up are minimized, though possible.

Posts: 3832 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 20 October 2019 06:16

I have a similar situation, as my son and I leave in just over a month, flying Emirates from SFO to DXB, about 36 hour layover to see Dubai, then taking Fly Dubai over to JRO in Tanzania. I’m not worried. Gracey Travel is obtaining my firearms permission with Emirates, Dubai police will take custody of the guns and put them on Fly Dubai. I’m not worried about our rifles showing up in Arusha. Each leg is a direct flight, so opportunities to stuff things up are minimized, though possible.

DLS,
Thankyou for your comments. A couple of questions if I may...
How do Dubai Police take custody of your firearm ? Do they collect from baggage or do you collect and present to Dubai Police ?
Do I understand correctly that when you check in with Fly Dubai the Dubai Police will have already delivered your firearm and that you don't yourself have to have the firearm at the check-in counter ? Is this how Gracey Travel said it happens ?
If you don't see your firearm at Fly Dubai check-in I'm wondering how they check total baggage weights but maybe that's not a concern..??

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The airport police handle all firearms, including storage at the airport.

They are delivered to the plane as the passengers are boarding.

I actually asked the officer at the airport last night as we arrived from Dar about this.

He said it is up to the airlines involved to sort it out between them, as it makes no difference to the police which airline they collect and deliver the firearms to, as long as they have their paperwork done.

Passengers in transit never see their guns in Dubai.

They are collected from their arriving flight, and delivered to their departing flight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness in taking time to check with Dubai Police.
Funny how clarity on my original question eventually comes via experienced local folks and AR members yet couldn't be answered concisely when directed to the actual authorities. Just shows the great value, again, of the AR info resource.

DLS, must also thank you Sir for a very helpful PM.

Cheers Gents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to have UPS or some other carrier to ship the firearms to your destination and then back to your home? Of course with all the new terrorist rules it may be impossible but might be worth looking into

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote