THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Taking Brass Into South Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking Brass Into South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted
Are we allowed to bring empty brass casings into South Africa? If so, is there a limit?

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No idea.

But, if you are transferring through other countries, don’t do it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66903 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaizer:
Are we allowed to bring empty brass casings into South Africa? If so, is there a limit?

I am not sure if the laws have changed.

In 2011, I packed 50 new un-primed/empty brass cases to take to South Africa. I packed the brass in a green plastic case that one uses for reloading ammunition, stuffed the case with cotton balls so that the empty brass would not rattle. Placed the box in my ammo case for transport.

I did not have any issues.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
quote:

I am not sure if the laws have changed.

In 2011, I packed 50 new un-primed/empty brass cases to take to South Africa. I packed the brass in a green plastic case that one uses for reloading ammunition, stuffed the case with cotton balls so that the empty brass would not rattle. Placed the box in my ammo case for transport.

I did not have any issues.

Don’t do this if you are traveling through Dubai or Doha.

You WILL get arrested.

Posts: 66903 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
Just curious but why would you get arrested for carrying empty brass through Dubai ? Seems like if it is not loaded it wouldn’t be a problem.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took new, unprimed brass to SA a couple of years ago but we flew on Delta.
Saeed is 100% right about having serious problems trying to take brass thru Dubai or Doha...in 2019 one of our traveling companions dropped a single .270 brass as we were leaving the hunting camp for OR Tambo, picked it up and slipped it into his bino case. All good until we went thru the second (of three) security checks in Doha, then all hell broke loose when they discovered that single brass in his bino case. He was detained and they had about a dozen officers going over everything he and his wife had. Luckily, we had about a 4 hour layover or he would have missed his flight. There were two officers that walked him and his wife to the door leading to the airplane. They don't fool around...I told him to leave the brass, but he didn't listen.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2742 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Embarrassed and a little shaky on my return from Bulawayo thru Tambo. I collect brass from animals killed. Did not have checked baggage so I had three FIRED BRASS in my carryon. Four “authorities” and thirty minutes later and ten or more pics taken of me my passport and the brass. I was released to travel on to Doha/USA. One of lawsogs whistled across the tops of empties as I was interrogated. Never told what was wrong and by the time I was released I really didn’t care.

NOT RECOMMENDED.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to leave brass handload whatever caliber you want the brass for and use those on your hunt. Leave the empties behind. I think otherwise you might be asking for trouble.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is a language problem.

RASAS is Arabic for LEAD.

RASAS is Arabic for AMMUNITION.

AMMUNITION to customs means anything part of the a round.

Trying to be clever and tell customs officers in other countries this is not the case?

Good luck!

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I agree if going through Dubai or Doha don’t do it.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A friend had an empty 12 gage shotgun in his bag going through Thailand.

Was detained and missed his flight.

They let him go the next day.

Carrying anything related to firearms and ammunition without the proper permit today is like playing Russian roulette!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Let me further the question. We all know about the Far- and Middle East. How about directly into South Africa from the US, non stop?

I have brought brass into Zimbabwe and the bags are examined and no issues. I purchased old Kynoch ammo in Zim and returned with it no problem and is examined as well.

Where I hunt I return with spent brass and any bullets I recover.

Entering South Africa I have never had my bags examined and am asked the number of rounds of ammo. Never an issue.

My checked bags are examined by TSA and the ammo in the small hard case has never been in question.

Your thoughts, fellas.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Let me further the question. We all know about the Far- and Middle East. How about directly into South Africa from the US, non stop?

I have brought brass into Zimbabwe and the bags are examined and no issues. I purchased old Kynoch ammo in Zim and returned with it no problem and is examined as well.

Where I hunt I return with spent brass and any bullets I recover.

Entering South Africa I have never had my bags examined and am asked the number of rounds of ammo. Never an issue.

My checked bags are examined by TSA and the ammo in the small hard case has never been in question.

Your thoughts, fellas.
Cal

Were you traveling with firearms?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Yes, and the brass or purchased ammo was of a different caliber. Nothing hidden, all shown and inspected and no problems.

Brass, ammo coming in was explained it was for my PH. Ammo going out was explained it was purchasesd for my collection and it was antique. Done this many times and no issues. Maybe the reason I had no problems is I was forthright and offerd it to the officer rather than waiting for it to be discovered.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This totally different.

If you were transporting any component without you having a firearm I think things would have been different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This whole empty brass,recovered bullets and loaded ammo coming home has caused me more grief than its worth in the value of the product. I leave all the above behind and just the guns come home.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I take all my empties home, and recovered bullets.

I always get ask at the departure airport if I have any loaded ammo.

I never do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting it out of the USA can get you into trouble ... exportation of ammunition, brass, bullets etc all subject to export permitting.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was bringing some projectiles into Zim for his PH (100). He ran into the wrong 'official' and was detained/charged with being an 'arms trafficker'. Was booked into a jail but his PH friend got him out on bond (bribes?) and under house arrest at his residence. Took a couple weeks and more 'fees' before he was allowed to leave the country.

I'd just give the PH an extra 200 USD and not risk it.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How the world has changed!

In the 70’s and 80’s people were traveling from the US to all parts of the world with everything, from rifles, pistols, powder, primers and bullets.

Never stopped.

Nothing bad ever happened.

Now our nanny state is protecting us to death!

How very sad!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why would you take the chance. The empty brass could be construed as fire arms components if you get the wrong custom agent. True the chances of customs checking your checked bag and and calling your empty brass fire arms components is remote . But if it happens you at best could miss your flight at worse spend some time in the local jail. This to do a small favor for your PH .Depends on what your risk tolerance level is

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The thing is, don’t give a chance to any silly customs officer an excuse to treat you like a criminal.

I was flying through Munich.

I only had hand luggage, got through security, and was waiting for a friend who is on another flight.

I waited just inside the security area.

Suddenly all hell broke loose, so being curious, I got closer and tried to understand what was going on.

A Spanish family, with two young kids, a boy and a girl.

Both below 10.

The boy had a tiny Swiss Army knife in his bag.

The knife was hardly an inch long.

2 armed police officers were called in.

They had MP5 sub machine guns.

I could hear the father telling them to keep the knife.

They were having non of it.

One of the officers was being so obnoxious, I honestly had a very hard time restraining myself from thumping the bastard.

I was there for almost an hour.

No change.

He was still being questioned when I left!

One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The thing is, don’t give a chance to any silly customs officer an excuse to treat you like a criminal.

I was flying through Munich.

I only had hand luggage, got through security, and was waiting for a friend who is on another flight.

I waited just inside the security area.

Suddenly all hell broke loose, so being curious, I got closer and tried to understand what was going on.

A Spanish family, with two young kids, a boy and a girl.

Both below 10.

The boy had a tiny Swiss Army knife in his bag.

The knife was hardly an inch long.

2 armed police officers were called in.

They had MP5 sub machine guns.

I could hear the father telling them to keep the knife.

They were having non of it.

One of the officers was being so obnoxious, I honestly had a very hard time restraining myself from thumping the bastard.

I was there for almost an hour.

No change.

He was still being questioned when I left!

Sounds like he used to work for TSA here or was trained by TSA. I had a 2 cavity bullet mold confiscated once by TSA. I was told it was a tool and exceeded certain dimensions. My wife who was travelling with me pass through security with no problem with her curling iron that was larger; and a kid with his skateboard. It all depends on who is doing the interpretation of the law.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I must have been lucky. I normally bring back my fired brass and recovered bullets.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote