THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Problem transporting rifles on AA connecting to Qatar Airways

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem transporting rifles on AA connecting to Qatar Airways
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted
A cautionary tale for anyone traveling with rifles on Qatar Airways, connecting from their “partner” American Airlines:

I’m writing this en route to Dallas on American Airlines, where I’m connecting to Qatar Airways this evening to fly to Harare via Doha. (I’m hunting with CMS in the DSA for buff.) Unfortunately, my rifles went home with my wife because AA staff in Stillwater, Oklahoma refused (politely) to load them. I spent over an hour at the counter while they checked and re-checked the rules on their internal website, called their help desk, etc. The sticking point was that their internal website says that firearms transiting Doha must have permission from the Qatar Ministry of the Interior, and I had to show proof of this permission, which I don’t have. They also refused to check them only as far as Dallas and insisted that that was not possible.

Several calls to TWG (who I used to book the flights, and of course, paid a fee to handle the rifle paperwork) didn’t resolve the situation. TWG’s position was that permission is not needed for transiting passengers, and, even if it were, AA should be willing to check the bags as far as Dallas. TWG also said that another passenger originating in Tucson had the same problem, but AA agreed to check the rifles as far as the QA connection. TWG has sent an email about the situation to AA and QA, and I hope for others’ sakes this will be resolved soon.

I had to make a quick decision as my flight was the last flight to Dallas today, and when I had checked earlier, the Doha-Harare flight only went a few days each week. So, rather than shave days off the safari and hope I could resolve the situation, I texted my PH to make sure I could rent a rifle.

I had checked with TWG last week about checking in with AA and they assured me that it was routine. I got to the airport a half hour before the AA agents came to the check-in counter and was first in the “Priority” line. I read and filled out all the forms... not sure what else I could have done, but I imagine someone will tell me below.

Very disappointing after spending a lot of time in the last 6 months developing loads for both a 375 and 458 with softs and solids that would shoot to the same place, buying a new rifle case and a lot of 375 and 458 reloading components! Not to mention all the time wasted studying the forms and procedures. Sigh...

My Plan B is to go have a good time using a rental rifle.

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to read of your difficulties. Seems these days we are hearing ever more tales of woe involving travel with firearms. Seems to me this whole thing is spiralling down into a no-win mess for hunters.
For my Cameroon hunt in 2020 I ended up deciding to use a camp rifle due to nil communications from Ethiopian Airlines on firearms carriage policies. I got my game but would have performed much better and more happily with my own rifle. Always in the first instance I would always take my own rifle but, as said, the way things are going nowadays one may have to swallow hard and resort to camp rifle use.
Wishing you the best of luck for your hunt and hope the outfitter rifle works as well as yours.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Every single report of anyone having problems like these points to an individual at check in who is an idiot!

Probably boils down to someone who hates guns and hunters, and they would anything to disrupt their travels.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your difficulties. I flew Qatar for the first and last time last year. Nothing about the firearms process was easy. I lost count with how many phone calls and time spent trying to get the approval. All I got was “Mr David you are good” never an email or any document.

Then in Doha I was detained as they went through my checked bags and items confiscated as they said it was illegal ammunition. It was new in box empty brass for my PH. My actual ammo they never even checked.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was new in box empty brass for my PH

This has been discussed here many times.

Different countries have different laws regarding anything to do with guns and ammo.

NEVER take anything related to this not on your permit.

NEVER.

In Germany checking my hand luggage they found a DVD with pictures on the cover of people shooting our T.Rex.

Had a job trying to convince them I am not a terrorist!

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar unprofessional and almost trip ending firearm-issue with TWG on our Emirates firearms declaration permits. Many will come on to say how wonderful TWG is and say how professional Steve Turner and his TWG business is. I found just the opposite. I found TWG unresponsive, having a total lack of sense of urgency, and a complete lack of attention to detail. Dealing with TWG was a professional nightmare. TWG never did get our Emirates firearms permits . TWG had over three weeks to get our Emirates firearms permits for my son and my Zimbabwe trip . After too many phone calls and emails to count, Steve Turner and his staff still did not have our Emirates firearm permits one day prior to our flights. I found Turner and his TWG staff so nonchalant and unprofessional about our deadlines regarding the required permits that I will now go out of my way to describe TWG’s total lack of help for what professional service we paid TWG for. I ended up spending the entire stressful night prior to our flight with a very helpful Emirates Group Security team. I ended up receiving our authorized Emirates Firearms Declaration Permits , a stressful eight hours before needing to leave for the airport, doing all on my own with zero help from TWG, along with the very professional help from a member of Emirate’s Global Security team. I never heard from TWG prior to our flights out or after the trip.

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
I had a similar unprofessional and almost trip ending firearm-issue with TWG on our Emirates firearms declaration permits. Many will come on to say how wonderful TWG is and say how professional Steve Turner and his TWG business is. I found just the opposite. I found TWG unresponsive, having a total lack of sense of urgency, and a complete lack of attention to detail. Dealing with TWG was a professional nightmare. TWG never did get our Emirates firearms permits . TWG had over three weeks to get our Emirates firearms permits for my son and my Zimbabwe trip . After too many phone calls and emails to count, Steve Turner and his staff still did not have our Emirates firearm permits one day prior to our flights. I found Turner and his TWG staff so nonchalant and unprofessional about our deadlines regarding the required permits that I will now go out of my way to describe TWG’s total lack of help for what professional service we paid TWG for. I ended up spending the entire stressful night prior to our flight with a very helpful Emirates Group Security team. I ended up receiving our authorized Emirates Firearms Declaration Permits , a stressful eight hours before needing to leave for the airport, doing all on my own with zero help from TWG, along with the very professional help from a member of Emirate’s Global Security team. I never heard from TWG prior to our flights out or after the trip.

Good grief, what a nightmare!

“I had checked with TWG last week about checking in with AA and they assured me that it was routine”

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew Qatar Airways through Doha in May and had no issues. Travel Express booked the flights and took care of notifying the authorities in Qatar of my rifle and ammunition. I had in hand a confirmation email that covered each of the four flights.

I will say the check in clerk at Dulles had no clue what to do with me. It took about 30 minutes for a supervisor to appear who then handled the paperwork. I had no trouble checking in at OR Tambo. The women there knew exactly what to do.

I will remind everyone to not have empty brass when flying on Qatar. I don't know why it's a problem but when leaving SA the clerk was very clear that I was not to have empty brass in my luggage.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wwgreener:
I flew Qatar Airways through Doha in May and had no issues. Travel Express booked the flights and took care of notifying the authorities in Qatar of my rifle and ammunition. I had in hand a confirmation email that covered each of the four flights.

I will say the check in clerk at Dulles had no clue what to do with me. It took about 30 minutes for a supervisor to appear who then handled the paperwork. I had no trouble checking in at OR Tambo. The women there knew exactly what to do.

I will remind everyone to not have empty brass when flying on Qatar. I don't know why it's a problem but when leaving SA the clerk was very clear that I was not to have empty brass in my luggage.

Some reports indicate a lot of the problems originate Statewise.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
So much for paying extra to have TWG book your flights and handle permits. rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used TWG twice with little to no issues but my friends had significant problems last year using their services. I'm seriously considering on using a different company on my next trip. Hopefully they get their issues resolved.

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lpankratz:
I have used TWG twice with little to no issues but my friends had significant problems last year using their services. I'm seriously considering on using a different company on my next trip. Hopefully they get their issues resolved.

I have been using Travel Express since 2014 with no issues on many flights. Taking off in 3 weeks via Qatar Airlines as well.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

I have been using Travel Express since 2014 with no issues on many flights. Taking off in 3 weeks via Qatar Airways as well.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

1pankratz:

What kind of significant problems did your friends have with TWG last year?
4WD

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know who to contact (what division) at Qatar Airways corporate who handles Qatar’s firearms declaration permits?
As I mentioned in my earlier post, Emirate’s Airlines division that handles the firearms declaration permits is Emirate Airlines Global Security division . I imagine Qatar would have a similar division . It’s pretty frustrating paying a company (TWG)to handle the semi complicated firearm permitting process and have them not perform that task. Next time I will try Gracy travel but will have the needed backup corporate Airline firearm permitting information on hand for contacting the airlines directly if necessary .

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Call Qatar airlines in the US and ask them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Saeed,
I learned from my past experience having to obtain my own firearms declaration permits in the final day before my departure that you need to contact the source who has the authority and can authorize and give you the permits. In my case I contacted Emirates in the USA and they did nothing to help us obtain my sons and my Emirates Firearms Declaration Permits, I wasted two days waiting for the Emirates USA office, and they did not help. It was not until I contacted Emirates Global Security in Dubai that a higher level representative helped me obtain our firearms permits. If I would have waited for the Emirates USA representative we would never have received our permits in time. Just as any business , dealing with people at levels who do not have authority and can not make decisions is a complete waste of time.

I have also found in my business experience , calling a satellite business office, the mid management employees are many times, unknowledgeable ,unwilling and or unauthorized to give you the information you request. This was the case of Emirates in the USA.

Still would like the name of the division and a email address for Qatar Airlines in Qatar that handles firearms declaration permits from someone that has contacted Qatar Airlines in Qatar regarding Firearms Declaration Permits. Glad to share my Emirates GlobalSecurity contact in Dubai if anyone is in the need.
4WD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Saeed,
I learned from my past experience having to obtain my own firearms declaration permits in the final day before my departure that you need to contact the source who has the authority and can authorize and give you the permits. In my case I contacted Emirates in the USA and they did nothing to help us obtain my sons and my Emirates Firearms Declaration Permits, I wasted two days waiting for the Emirates USA office, and they did not help. It was not until I contacted Emirates Global Security in Dubai that a higher level representative helped me obtain our firearms permits. If I would have waited for the Emirates USA representative we would never have received our permits in time. Just as any business , dealing with people at levels who do not have authority and can not make decisions is a complete waste of time.

I have also found in my business experience , calling a satellite business office, the mid management employees are many times, unknowledgeable ,unwilling and or unauthorized to give you the information you request. This was the case of Emirates in the USA.

Still would like the name of the division and a email address for Qatar Airlines in Qatar that handles firearms declaration permits from someone that has contacted Qatar Airlines in Qatar regarding Firearms Declaration Permits. Glad to share my Emirates GlobalSecurity contact in Dubai if anyone is in the need.

4WD

Try this: 011 974 4010 6666 (Doha)
Or this: contact-us@hamadairport.com.qa

Had decent luck with both, better luck calling.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Karl and other members who sent PM’s. Not sure if the next trip will be booked with a travel company, one thing for sure it will not be booked with Steve Turner’s TWG.
4WD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is alarming. I booked Tucson (AA) to Dallas (QA) to Arusha via Doha 15th of September.

Sent an e-mail to TWG with a link asking for comment on their service and AA policy. Previously (last week), when I asked them if there was a problem checking rifles through from Tucson to Arusha, they gave a vague answer. I do NOT want to have to claim my luggage in Dallas and re-check in to QA to get my gear to Arusha. I'd rather fly another link to Dallas if AA is a problem.

BTW I have over 1 million miles on AA.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
This is alarming. I booked Tucson (AA) to Dallas (QA) to Arusha via Doha 15th of September.

Sent an e-mail to TWG with a link asking for comment on their service and AA policy. Previously (last week), when I asked them if there was a problem checking rifles through from Tucson to Arusha, they gave a vague answer. I do NOT want to have to claim my luggage in Dallas and re-check in to QA to get my gear to Arusha. I'd rather fly another link to Dallas if AA is a problem.

I can’t imagine you NOT having to claim and re-check your bags given the stringent requirements Qatar has.
Be interesting to see how this plays out, please update.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:

I only have 670,000 miles on AA so perhaps you'll do better with a million! Confused

Seriously, if I was booking a trip in the near future I would take Scott Powell's advice, which he posted on another thread in this sub forum:

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
The 2022 answer to leaving the US with guns is simple..

I have a simple system that has worked year after year without issue to multiple locations around the world.

NEVER check them all the way through! I am fortunate to live 5 hours from Dulles so sometimes I drive and sometimes fly, but have friends that always fly in - we buy a round trip ticket to Dulles and a round trip ticket to the international destination.

Land, gather luggage and go to the hotel. Since we arrive a day early, we have a nice dinner and overnite at the Dulles Airport Hilton. We take the shuttle the airport the next day and catch our international flight.

99% of the issues are baggage transfer from domestic to international - so we AVOID that issue. Also it can take anywhere from 30min to 4hrs to clear customs on return - this way its no stress since we are just heading to the hotel afterwards and coming back the next day to catch the domestic flight home..

I book my international flight with TWG but make my domestic reservations myself like any other flight I would take..

Does it cost more? Probably.. But it is worth it and Dulles has just about any international flight you need.

I've done this to Africa, Asia and Europe with guns and never had an issue - not once...

Turkish and Emirates are my favorites although I used to take the SAA flight to Joberg if I was by myself simply because it was direct..

It would be nice to know if this problem is fixed so please let us know what you find out. good luck!

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I followed up with TWG afterwards and asked if they had had any reply from either Qatar Airways or American Airlines. TWG forwarded the reply from Qatar Airways. Both TWG and Qatar Airways placed the blame on American Airlines.

I then politely complained to American Airlines, who offered me 5000 frequent flyer miles to assuage my disappointment. I found the offer to be pathetic. But, at present, many US airline customers have a lot worse problems than the ones I described. So I really didn't expect much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know who to contact (what division) at Qatar Airways corporate who handles Qatar’s firearms declaration permits?
As I mentioned in my earlier post, Emirate’s Airlines division that handles the firearms declaration permits is Emirate Airlines Global Security division . I imagine Qatar would have a similar division . It’s pretty frustrating paying a company (TWG)to handle the semi complicated firearm permitting process and have them not perform that task. Next time I will try Gracy travel but will have the needed backup corporate Airline firearm permitting information on hand for contacting the airlines directly if necessary .

Call Kathi Klimes who posts here. She gets this sorted properly.

Posts: 10152 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Just back from Africa, on both Qatar and AirLink. DFW to Doha to Jo'burg on Qatar. AirLink from JNB to Windhoek. It was a challenge....even though our bags were checked through to Windhoek.

Qatar struggled at the boarding gate to find out if I had presented all the right paperwork. I had, and after a few minutes of calls to the counter personnel,I was allowed to board. Disconcerting, but OK. No one seemed certain as to whether or not I should reclaim my bags in Jo'burg before boarding AirLink. Turned out that was not a problem - let 'em through just fine.

Flight was 2 hours late leaving DFW, so my wife and I had 15 minutes to catch the connecting flight in Doha. Made it. Appears her bag did not....at least when we claimed luggage in Windhoek, hers was not there. It showed up a few days later, and we had to have (hire and pay for) a courier bring it to camp, about 350 kilometers from the airport.

I was thnking that maybe Qatar isn't ready for seamless interfacing with code sharing partners.

On return trip, having checked bags through to DFW on AIrLink, I then got paged in Jo'burg to redo the paperwork. An agent found me in the lounge, took photos of 4457, passport, and the two AirLink-issued baggage claim checks for guns and ammo. Said he had to call Doha to be sure it was all OK. Wow !!

Then got paged again at boarding gate. They needed to reissue the boarding passes on Qatar forms rather than the AirLink forms. Same flights, same seats. Just new forms.

Yup, they're not ready for seamless handoffs with other airlines, especially when firearms are involved. Won't fly them again. Promise.

And Kathi Klimes was indeed a help in this adventure. Highly recommend her. Just can't recommend Qatar.

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
Just back from Africa, on both Qatar and AirLink. DFW to Doha to Jo'burg on Qatar. AirLink from JNB to Windhoek. It was a challenge....even though our bags were checked through to Windhoek.

Qatar struggled at the boarding gate to find out if I had presented all the right paperwork. I had, and after a few minutes of calls to the counter personnel,I was allowed to board. Disconcerting, but OK. No one seemed certain as to whether or not I should reclaim my bags in Jo'burg before boarding AirLink. Turned out that was not a problem - let 'em through just fine.

Flight was 2 hours late leaving DFW.

I was thnking that maybe Qatar isn't ready for seamless interfacing with code sharing partners.

On return trip, having checked bags through to DFW on AIrLink, I then got paged in Jo'burg to redo the paperwork. An agent found me in the lounge, took photos of 4457, passport, and the two AirLink-issued baggage claim checks for guns and ammo. Said he had to call Doha to be sure it was all OK. Wow !!

Then got paged again at boarding gate. They needed to reissue the boarding passes on Qatar forms rather than the AirLink forms. Same flights, same seats. Just new forms.

Yup, they're not ready for seamless handoffs with other airlines, especially when firearms are involved. Won't fly them again. Promise.

Pretty much mirrors our experience last month, except they required me to claim baggage (firearm and ammo) in Joburg and recheck, I firmly believe Airlink did this in order to collect their “firearms handling fee”.
I’m pretty much soured on Qatar as well, if there is a viable alternative.

Karl Evans