New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast PCR COVID tests
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have found a place that turns around the PCR tests pretty quickly. It is called Passport Health. The have 270 locations in the US.

I got test results back in less than 24 hours.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have 2-3 locations in the DFW area and also administer “travel” immunizations, used them last year and are easy to work with.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2711 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That makes total sense since they are a travel-focused clinic. They also are authorized to administer the Stamaril replacement for YF-VAx

Great to know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
They have 2-3 locations in the DFW area and also administer “travel” immunizations, used them last year and are easy to work with.

Very true. They also either dispense or prescribe travel related medications.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Thank you Larry for the information.

The travel clinic I use does not provide the quick COVID tests.

Passport Health is also a Travel clinic to check to make sure all your meds are in order for travel.

There are 2 facilities located in New Mexico.

Santa Fe & Albuquerque.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1558 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Passport Health is a great option, if you have one near you.

I'm headed to Ethiopia in 3 weeks but do not have a Passport Health anywhere nearby. I've decided to try the Covid Consultants. They have both nasal swab and saliva PCR test kits. I bought a test kit which includes an FedEx Overnight Priority return label. They offer a 24 hour turn-around time upon receipt of your sample in their lab. In a few weeks, I guess I will find out (fingers crossed). Thus far, I've heard good reviews on this company but will give updates on their service as soon as possible.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
CVS Pharmacies have a nationwide, robust test system. It is 30 minute from test to results. Just look on your computer for one near you. You can even make appointments on-line at some locations.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3312 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of the tests at CVS and Walgreens are not PCR based tests. Some countries require a PCR type Covid test and will reject travelers with the rapid test.
Buyer beware...
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAGuardian:

I'm headed to Ethiopia in 3 weeks but do not have a Passport Health anywhere nearby. I've decided to try the Covid Consultants. They have both nasal swab and saliva PCR test kits. I bought a test kit which includes an FedEx Overnight Priority return label. They offer a 24 hour turn-around time upon receipt of your sample in their lab. In a few weeks, I guess I will find out (fingers crossed). Thus far, I've heard good reviews on this company but will give updates on their service as soon as possible.

I used the Covid COnsultants for my November trip to Zimbabwe. Did the saliva test and sent it in, got the results back in 18 hours after they received it. I also used Walgreens last month and got the results in 4 hours and it was a PCR test. Only certain locations had the rapid PCR testing so I can't say if there is one near you. Our local hospital take 6 to 8 days to get results.

Posts: 746 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
quote:
Originally posted by PAGuardian:

I used the Covid COnsultants for my November trip to Zimbabwe. Did the saliva test and sent it in, got the results back in 18 hours after they received it. I also used Walgreens last month and got the results in 4 hours and it was a PCR test. Only certain locations had the rapid PCR testing so I can't say if there is one near you. Our local hospital take 6 to 8 days to get results.

I was sick a few weeks back. Went to a local Walgreens. A week later the results showed up.

I think a lot of this is luck of the draw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, you can buy an FDA approved saliva test on Amazon and mail it in. 24 to 48 hrs

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
Many of the tests at CVS and Walgreens are not PCR based tests. Some countries require a PCR type Covid test and will reject travelers with the rapid test.
Buyer beware...
Bill

I had to look up the different covid test that are out there.

Airlines are now starting to deny boarding to passengers who do not have PCR based test. I did not know that before , however I do not have any travel scheduled at this point.

So when you are getting your Covid testing done make sure you are getting the PCR one that will allow you to board the different airlines for your flight. You may want to bring along a copy or two.

Now the cost shocker that goes with the COVID testing is wide. I just had one scheduled for a procedure and it was through the hospital, and I is covered. The issue becomes it takes 4 days to obtain your results.

Shop around and ask what your cost will be for the test. It could be anywhere from $20 to $6,000. I found where some were in the $400 to $800 range. Receiving a $6,000 statement in the mail for having a Covid test performed would be eye opening for sure.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1558 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I was told the test that gives results in minutes is not reliable. The 24 to 48 hr one is the real test to have.

I also believe it takes 4 or 5 days to test positive from the day you got infected. So with a 72hr test you can happily fly to another country and enter negative to only become positive later in country!

And don't confuse being positive with how you feel. You could be positive and have 0 symptoms.

Posts: 2528 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
From what I was told the test that gives results in minutes is not reliable. The 24 to 48 hr one is the real test to have.

I also believe it takes 4 or 5 days to test positive from the day you got infected. So with a 72hr test you can happily fly to another country and enter negative to only become positive later in country!

And don't confuse being positive with how you feel. You could be positive and have 0 symptoms.

Yup.

One of my partners had it . She had zero symptoms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting the vaccine next week ,I've seen the card issued with the CDC.Anybody had any issues so far traveling or do you anticipate problems out of country due to other governments.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, the airlines or country you are entering want the PCR COVID testing (tests for genetic material of the virus). The tests listed as "rapid" are not a PCR, rather, they test for viral antigens. The PCR test just plain takes longer to process. I work within a large hospital system and our lab can get results as fast as 12 hours (that is a best case scenario). Unfortunately, turn around times have been notoriously variable across the country which is why I chose to go the route of the Covid Consultants. PCR test sent to me with a guaranteed turn around upon receipt of my sample for about $225. For the peace of mind, seems well worth it...

As for the vaccine, I'm hopeful that airlines and other countries will accept proof of vaccination but I think we are at least months away from that being a reality. As new strains emerge, it is in question how effective the vaccine will remain against the virus with new mutations so I'm sure PCR tests for travel are going to be standard practice for the time being. However, when that time comes I will have my CDC card in hand (getting my second dose of the vaccine soon).

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:

Yup.

One of my partners had it . She had zero symptoms.

my five neighbors had it. Only two had symptoms...

oddly enough I know more people who have had presumed positives based on symptoms only to test negative than those who tested positive and had symptoms...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lady that works for my wife had covid, her husband did ,too, we were in close contact with her for several days before she knew she had been exposed and tested positive. My wife and I both tested negative with the "quick" test and I fell ill a couple of days later and had another test, this time PCR that took 4 days to get results, negative again. I received the vaccine (Moderna) this morning.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2711 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
GETTING VACCINATED AND PROVING IT.

And yes Airlines are requiring a PCR Covid Test and international travelers may soon be require to have a vaccination certificate. The following information was found and will help international travelers share their covid records. That be the Covid vaccination record and your covid test, this should help you in ticketing and boarding flights.

International Air Transport Association (IATA)
https://www.iata.org/en/progra...ssenger/travel-pass/

Questions and answers
https://www.iata.org/contentas...travel-pass-faqs.pdf

IATA Travel Pass Initiative

To re-open borders without quarantine and restart aviation governments need to be confident that they are effectively mitigating the risk of importing COVID-19. This means having accurate information on passengers’ COVID-19 health status.

Informing passengers on what tests, vaccines and other measures they require prior to travel, details on where they can get tested and giving them the ability to share their tests and vaccination results in a verifiable, safe and privacy-protecting manner is the key to giving governments the confidence to open borders. To address this challenge IATA is working on launching the IATA Travel Pass, a digital platform for passengers.
Current challenges to accurate health information

Complexity and variety
The fragmented and diverse set of COVID-19 testing requirements for entry and exit as well as the range of different types of tests (PCR, LAMP, antigen and spectroscopic) required by governments have created a challenging and complex environment for immigration authorities, passengers and airlines to navigate.

Information gap
Passengers are confused and need accurate information. But they do not know where to find it – or understand it, even if they do find it.
Inefficiencies, errors, fraud

Check-in agents need to follow extensive entry requirement guidance and try to determine the authenticity of multiple non-standard test documents passengers present to them. This leads to health check inefficiencies, errors and fraud – an increasing problem around the world.

The information flow infrastructure that is needed for systematic testing must support:

Governments with the means to verify the authenticity of tests and the identity of those presenting the test certificates.
Airlines with the ability to provide accurate information to their passengers on test requirements and verify that a passenger meets the requirements for travel.
Laboratories with the means to issue certificates to passengers that will be recognized by governments, and

Travellers with accurate information on test requirements, where they can get tested or vaccinated, and the means to securely convey test information to airlines and border authorities

Solution: IATA Travel Pass
A global and standardized solution to validate and authenticate all country regulations regarding COVID-19 passenger travel requirements. IATA Travel Pass will incorporate four open sourced and interoperable modules which can be combined for an end-to-end solution:

REGISTRY OF HEALTH REQUIREMENTS
Enables passengers to find accurate information on travel, testing and vaccine requirements for their journey