THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Texas Hunt Co T.H.E. pack too big for carry-on

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hunt Co T.H.E. pack too big for carry-on
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going to Zimbabwe in September and I need a bigger carry on. Currently have a blackhawk hydrastorm.

Is the Texas Hunt Co T.H.E. pack too big for a carry-on. I have looked at the measurements, but I am looking for some real-world experience.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I have used one as a carry on for the last three trips to Africa the latest being last month to Zim. I've had no problems with United and South African Airways.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure it fits in the little box they make everyone with a questionable size bag put their carryon in. Also, I've noticed/heard of several airlines weighing the carry on too....easy way around that is the travel vest stuff to the max, take it off once on the plane, put it in the carryon trick. rotflmo

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I've traveled with one for five years now - full disclosure, it was a free journalist gimmie. That being said it's the best thing to take on a plane. Even shoved to the max it still fits under the seat. I use it to carry my laptop, camera, magazines, notebook, etc. being able to put it on is also great for long trips between terminals.
I've gotten a lot of free bags over the years. this is the only one I use and have commented on in an open forum.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best thing i have used is the new cheapo Swiss Gear 10 zipper back pack. You can fit a weeks worth of clothes, boots, binos and medications plus all your travel documents. I also wear a travel vest with tons of pockets.

Dean

Posts: 67 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 30 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Jeff's THE Pack on my last few Africa trips......Great carryon and doubles perfectly for daily duty on the Cruiser while in the bush.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to the little box they have to check carryon size, getting it into the box is one thing, getting it out is another. I spent several minutes helping a lady get her bag out of that box recently. Every external pocket hung on something and while it went in, it took quite a bit to get it out. They made her check it.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
Just make sure it fits in the little box they make everyone with a questionable size bag put their carryon in. Also, I've noticed/heard of several airlines weighing the carry on too....easy way around that is the travel vest stuff to the max, take it off once on the plane, put it in the carryon trick. rotflmo

Good Plan.

My carryon is the Patagonia MLC [Maximum Legal Carryon].
I have never had any problems with its size on African or domestic flights.

However I put everything in it I legally can, like rifle scpoes, binos, cameras, flashlights, power adapters and rechargers. It always weighs between 40 and 49 lbs.

I am always prepared to use the vest to pt some of te heavy things ion to ligen the weight of the carryon and I also have a seperate bag, Filson, with the things I want to actually use on the plane, snacks, books, medicine as well.

Only one time were they weighing carryons, so I loaded up m vest, but they did not weigh my carryon.

The Patagonia MLC has some very comfrotable back pack straps, that are out of the way when not in use, and the back of the pack is padded making it comfrotable to carry.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many bags can you carry on? One or one bag plus a laptop bag/briefcase?

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always carried on the Patagonia MLC and then a second smaller Filson bag.

I have used either the Filson medium Field bag, or the small carry on bag. The small carry on bag has the advantage of a zipper, that you can lock closed. I use the Filson bag on the Safari Vehicle when in Africa.
I use these Filson bags quite a bit here in the States as well when traveling in a vehicle.

Never had any problem. It is just like a woman with a carryon and a purse.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:

Good Plan.

My carryon is the Patagonia MLC [Maximum Legal Carryon].
I have never had any problems with its size on African or domestic flights.

However I put everything in it I legally can, like rifle scpoes, binos, cameras, flashlights, power adapters and rechargers. It always weighs between 40 and 49 lbs.

I am always prepared to use the vest to pt some of te heavy things ion to ligen the weight of the carryon and I also have a seperate bag, Filson, with the things I want to actually use on the plane, snacks, books, medicine as well.

Only one time were they weighing carryons, so I loaded up m vest, but they did not weigh my carryon.

The Patagonia MLC has some very comfrotable back pack straps, that are out of the way when not in use, and the back of the pack is padded making it comfrotable to carry.

The idea of schlepping a 45-50 lb carryon from Terminal A to Terminal Z plus a smaller bag just doesn't sound that appealing. it sounds like you travel with 60-70 lbs of luggage inside the cabin

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it can be a little heavy.

However, I KNOW that even if ALL my other baggage gets lost of delayed, I will have the things in my carryon.

And even if the other bags arrive, I know the things in my carryon will not have been stolen...

So, getting to my final destination, with as much as my stuff as I can, is appealing to me.

A while back I made a trip overseas, and ONLY carried my carryon, no other luggage...

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
so the 60-70 lbs of carryon luggage isn't everything? you also check in a bag???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, on most trips I am carrying guns and ammo, so I must have a checked bag.

And the carryon is under 50lbs. Some times just under, but under 50 lbs.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you mentioned 2 carryons- a large one and a smaller one. that's why i mentioned a total of 60-70 lbs of carryon luggage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the smaller bag I will have only a paper back book or two, some snacks and I usually buy a bottled water before I get on the plane after I go through security, little stuff like that.
Anything I might want to use while on the flight. That way I do not have to ever get my primary carryon down out of the overhead.

Or, say when on smaller planes, doing connector flights and they put all the primary carryons in the baggage hold anyway.

I use the Filson bag on the Safari Cruiser as my "day" bag.

I could also put some stuff in it if they are weighing the primary carryon.