THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    What to do - 9 Hr. layover in Doha

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do - 9 Hr. layover in Doha
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
I've been looking online at flights on Qatar out of Philadelphia to Windhoek. All the flights have an approx. 9 hour layover in Doha. Doesn't seem like enough time to leave the airport for any sightseeing and to much time to just sit in the airport. Are there any hotels in the airport where I could get a day/short stay room?

I've always flown SAA out of New York in the past and made connections through Joberg without an overnight stay thereby avoiding the SAPS hassle.. I've decided to forgo the pleasure of flying on SAA due to their newly imposed gun handling fees. I also want to avoid transiting through Joberg.

Any suggestions?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Oryx hotel is central to the airport and is very comfortable for a shower and a quick sleep between flights - make sure you book beforehand. Also, there are several very good restaurants to enjoy as well. All make the trip much easier.

I do not miss Johannesburg whatsoever and Qatar Air is awesome.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
If you are flying business class, the lounge is huge. You can find a place to nap, several places to eat, and nice shower facilities.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The Business Lounge is great.

I have been there many times on transit.

But, for 9 hours, you might wish to take a tour of the city.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Oryx hotel is the way to go. Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately for me I'll be flying cattle class.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Souq Waqif, in the city, is worth a visit for shopping and some great food.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I stayed in the Oryx coming home from TZ and another hotel, on the waterfront, en route to TZ.

I was in Biz Class with a long layover, so the rooms and the driver were comped by Qatar.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I doubt if they'll comp someone flying coach. Wink

Tom Z

NRA Life Member