New
Find
Notify
Tools

O R Tambo/SA Airlink issues
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I just returned from a hunt in Coutada 11 in Mozambique with Zambezi Delta Safaris, a very good hunt which will be reported on in the hunt reports section. This post regards the goings on at OR Tambo and with SA Airlink. We flew Qatar from DFW to Joburg, no problems whatsoever but the problems started in Joburg. Our luggage, rifle case and all, was checked thru to Beira, Mozambique so all that was needed was an in transit permit from SAPS. We had the same Qatar flight in March going to Zim and had an issue due to the permitting company we hired insisting SAPS check my permit. Same thing this trip, and this required my rifle case coming out of the secured area, necessitating the rifle being rechecked. Menzies Aviation handled the moving of the rifle case and it wasn't touched by SA Airlink until they put it on the plane, They charged me a R600 "firearms handling fee" for nothing, extortion I know but I paid it.
We arrived on time in Beira and when our luggage came in the door my suitcase was standing open. In March my suitcase was broken into in Joburg so I bought a new one with "ink pen proof zippers", I guess they worked because the bastards cut the zips off of the suitcase. All that was missing was a bore snake, a T15 driver and deodorant.
On the return trip we were one suitcase short so we left quite a bit of clothing and shoes inorder to travel in one suitcase and two carry on's. Upon check in at the SA Airlink counter in Beira the same "handling fee" was assessed and my wife was told her carry on was 2kg over weight and she would have to remove stuff (the plane was very small and had no overhead bins, so everything was going in the hold anyway). I asked the agent what difference it made since the bag was going in the hold and he just said it was overweight. There was a local guy from Safari Air that was assisting us and said that a few dollars would make the problem go away. I told them both that I wasn't paying and we would check that bag and everything suddenly was OK. They didn't weigh my carry on and it was by far the heaviest. Next problem...the Moz police took me into a room off of the check in area 6 different time to check my ammo, the same female cop did it 3 times, they were fishing for a bribe, too. I finally ran out of patience and told them that if there was a problem with the ammo that they could just keep it and I'd report it to the US embassy. Suddenly, the ammo wasn't much of a problem. Upon arrival in Joburg, we were met and taken to the main SAPS office. I've left SA with firearms quite a few time and know the drill and told the guy as much, didn't matter. He told the cop in the SAPS office that my permit needed to be checked and, no joke, the cop took one look at it and said that the permit looked fine! We had to recheck luggage and clear the outbound firearm check, no problems. The flight home was long but uneventful, we claimed our luggage at DFW and found that my wife's bag had been broken into the same way as mine, by cutting the zips off and ruining the bag. On future trips I'm either avoiding Joburg and if I can't get where I want to go except thru Joburg, then I'll likely cancel that trip and will make sure the outfitter knows why. I've sent an email to PHASA about this and I know there is very little they can do about it but I hope they will realize this problem might cost some of their members a hunt or two and will complain loudly to the powers that be.
By the way, there was another hunter in camp with us whose bag received the same treatment as mine and I bet there are more than a few others.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Karl. Back in 2008, I and my wife had our luggage ransacked when we flew from Vic Falls back to Joburg. The two white stewardess' asked us to allow them to place our carry ons underneath the plane due to storage issues. They were locked, zippered carry ons. We also had zippered checked bags on as well. When we got to Joburg in the in transit area I opened my carry on bag to discover that the shitheads had popped the zippers with a pen, ransacked the carry on and stole two brand new cameras. They then moved the zipper slider back and forth and resealed it so that it didn't look like it had been opened. We also discovered that they had gone through nearly every one's bag on that flight when we reported the incident. Nothing was ever done by SAA or anyone else. It was our problem. We subsequently purchased Samsonite hard side luggage with no zippers and have traveled with them ever since without any issues, other than a broken wheel on one luggage bag that had to be replaced.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
South Africa customs is run by most probably the most stupid idiots in the industry.

What is the point of interfering with anything passing in transit with a hunter.

Many years ago, we used to ship our rifles and ammo to Zimbabwe ahead of us.

They all had to pass through South Africa.

For a number of years, this went smoothly with no problems.

Then suddenly they started requiring payments and senseless forms to be filled in, including inspections.

Luckily, that was towards the end of us having to fly through South Africa.

One time we were going on a photo safari to South Africa.

A friend at Emirates informed me to put all my cameras in a specific bag, and they will look after it.

He said there were an extraordinary number of thefts at ORT.

He just wanted to make sure mine do not get the special South African treatment.

When we got there, we arranged for a meet and greet service.

They got us through immigration very quickly, and our bag with the cameras was not on the belt, but was hand delivered by Emirates to us there.

My suggestion is avoid South Africa if you can.

We don't have to put up with this.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I guess I was lucky. Returned from Namibia last Friday. Outbound ATL- Doha- ORT on QA, then ORT to Kasane on Airlink. Then truck into the Caprivi. Same trip in reverse coming home. No problems at all for me or my stepson. We used zippered duffels that were unlocked, contained nothing but clothes. Anything valuable was in our carryons. No damage, nothing taken. I never travel with a rifle anymore and that simplifies things….

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I guess I was lucky. Returned from Namibia last Friday. Outbound ATL- Doha- ORT on QA, then ORT to Kasane on Airlink. Then truck into the Caprivi. Same trip in reverse coming home. No problems at all for me or my stepson. We used zippered duffels that were unlocked, contained nothing but clothes. Anything valuable was in our carryons. No damage, nothing taken. I never travel with a rifle anymore and that simplifies things….

Glad to hear it.

But hunting without our own rifles is not complete for some of us.

And we don't have to put up with the South African bullshit either.

I will avoid South Africa like the plague, until they get themselves sorted out.

Lots of places which are more welcoming, they will have my money.

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fall in the “hunt with my own rifle” group, I spend quite a bit of time loading ammo, shooting off of sticks and plinking with reduced loads with whatever rifle I’m taking, and enjoy it. I have friends that hunt with camp rifles and are very happy to do so, the one and only time I tried that it didn’t work out too well.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
The problem with avoiding the cesspool of ORT is that it is almost impossible to get to Moz or Bots without transiting Joberg…. Mad

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Cannot one fly to these countries through Tanzania?

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Did I see one of those shrink wrapping machines at ORT for luggage? I wonder if that would deter the losers from tampering with the luggage?

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

That's horrible to hear particularly since I've had more clients through ORT this year than any other with no issues. I don't know how without a lot more cost and time that ORT can be avoided when accessing Mozambique or Botswana and to a lesser degree Zim and Zambia.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WLW:
Did I see one of those shrink wrapping machines at ORT for luggage? I wonder if that would deter the losers from tampering with the luggage?

That helps when leaving ORT but does nothing to prevent theft on arrival or transit.

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WLW:

That helps when leaving ORT but does nothing to prevent theft on arrival or transit.

Good point Jerry.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Ethiopian Airlines is worth looking at for destinations in Africa. I’ve flown with them 4 times and it’s been good. Ok, a bit of minor grief transiting Addis Ababa with firearms but a good airline.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of ways to get to Southern Africa but almost none go to Moz or Bots except through ORT. Try finding a flight to Beira, Maun, or Kasane that doesn’t originate in Joberg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are plenty of ways to get to Southern Africa but almost none go to Moz or Bots except through ORT. Try finding a flight to Beira, Maun, or Kasane that doesn’t originate in Joberg.

You are correct, those flights are few and far between. I believe Emirates flies to Maputo (thru Lusaka, but I could be wrong). I also thin Ethiopian flies to Maputo, both would have required a flight to Beira innMoz for my last hunt. Would have been on Moz Air (or Air Moz) who operates a flight daily that makes several stops, sort of like riding a Greyhound bus in the old days…stop at every little town between where you started and where you ended up.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
The deal with the zippered luggage is why I switched to Pelican Air 1615 bags with padlocks (2) for luggage.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Theft in OR Tambo has been going on for years.

The South African government has no wish to stop it.

As simple as that.

Did not happen before the name change!

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Ethiopian fly to Harare, Vic Falls, Lusaka, Maun, Windhoek,Beira and Maputo to name a few. Jo,burg and Capetown also if someone wanted to visit S.Africa

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought two hard side suitcases with latches and no zippers just for international travel. I've transited OR Tambo 9 times and have never had a bag broken into.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I bought two hard side suitcases with latches and no zippers just for international travel. I've transited OR Tambo 9 times and have never had a bag broken into.

That is not the point.

An airport run by criminals should be avoided at any cost.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have been through Joberg a few times.

We all see different thing and let others slide, like we never saw them.

On one trip, off loading of luggage was delayed, I am not sure why, my meet and greet had to go find my checked bag, it was still in the back, and they were not sure why it was not placed on the carousel for pickup. While this was happening, I was able to watch the travelers claim their bags as the luggage rounded the loop. About every other bag, both hard sided and soft sided were laying open and items that were packed were out and about on the carousel belt. Passengers were trying to round up their clothing and items placed in their luggage. You could tell that they were not happy campers. Airport personnel were standing off to the side watching this process happening. It was interesting what one observes while standing back and watching. My checked bag was found and we were off to firearms control.

This observation brought back the old traveler adage, to not place anything of value in your checked luggage. This experience also showed that soft and hard sided checked bags can and will be opened if the airport workers want to see what you have in your bag.

I have had my bags opened up and small items taken, usually something I was bringing along as camp gifts. However, some friends have let there thinking slide and have lost their, cameras, recorders, knives, range finders and binoculars, plus other small packed items.

So from my observation, yes, Joberg has an issue with thievery.

Tank, thanks, I was looking at the pelican case, however it weighs 18 pounds empty. I have seen padlocks cut off also, I was not sure who did the cutting of the locks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the warning Karl, though I'm sorry this happened to you. I'll be heading through Joberg next week to Mozambique and this will certainly change the way I was planning to pack (more valuables in the carry on).
This may be a stupid question (first time traveling with a rifle), but is it okay to pack other items inside the gun case other than the rifle? I understand that the ammo typically has to be seperate, but I have a large Pelican that I could easily fit bino's, hunting knife, camera, etc. I'm assuming this piece of luggage is fairly safe from tampering and if it did get lost in transit the other items would be the least of my concern.

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
Thank you for the warning Karl, though I'm sorry this happened to you. I'll be heading through Joberg next week to Mozambique and this will certainly change the way I was planning to pack (more valuables in the carry on).
This may be a stupid question (first time traveling with a rifle), but is it okay to pack other items inside the gun case other than the rifle? I understand that the ammo typically has to be seperate, but I have a large Pelican that I could easily fit bino's, hunting knife, camera, etc. I'm assuming this piece of luggage is fairly safe from tampering and if it did get lost in transit the other items would be the least of my concern.

Yes, you can place other items with your Rifle.

Items with a battery will need to be in your carry on. Like, your computer or tablet, phone & camera.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338: Yes, you can place other items with your Rifle.

Items with a battery will need to be in your carry on. Like, your computer or tablet, phone & camera.

Correct, if your luggage is checked all the way thru to Moz, Menzies Aviation will “move” the rifle case so I think that should be pretty safe. If you are flying SA Airlink from Joburg they will likely charge you a R600 “handling fee” on your rifle case. And, “normal size” carry ons wouldn’t fit in the overhead compartment on the aircraft we flew on, carry ons were gate checked into the hold, flew with binos, cameras and iPads/computers in our laps.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
carry ons were gate checked into the hold, flew with binos, cameras and iPads/computers in our laps.

Smart move.

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:

Tank, thanks, I was looking at the pelican case, however it weighs 18 pounds empty. I have seen padlocks cut off also, I was not sure who did the cutting of the locks.

Actually it weighs 14 pounds empty without foam (which you do not need if using as luggage). I was well under the airline limit with with gear for 21 days including 11 pounds of ammo, 2 pairs of boots and shooting sticks.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

Actually it weighs 14 pounds empty without foam (which you do not need if using as luggage). I was well under the airline limit with with gear for 21 days including 11 pounds of ammo, 2 pairs of boots and shooting sticks.

THANK YOU TANK,

my checked bag now with ammo weights about 30 pounds at checkin, and the bag weight is 7 pounds.

So 14 pounds and 23 pounds puts me at 37 pounds. It looks like it has a good set of wheels, my current bag has one wobbly wheel now, however the bag is 14 years old and been on many trips, flying and driving.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Yeah, at 37 pounds you'd be way under.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

That is not the point.

An airport run by criminals should be avoided at any cost.

If you don't transit African airports that are run by criminals you wouldn't be able to visit Africa Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
One way to avoid theft is to not take so much shit and have everything in a carry on..... ammo n gun case obviously have to be checked.....

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robncolorado:
One way to avoid theft is to not take so much shit and have everything in a carry on..... ammo n gun case obviously have to be checked.....

Good idea if your airline of choice will allow ammo in your gun case, not sure how many will allow that (possibly tuff pack but that sort of defeats the carry on only idea), the ones I’ve recently flown won’t allow ammo in the gun case.

Karl Evans

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robncolorado:

I am not going to allow thieves to dictate what I take when I travel.

If the idiots running country turn a blind eye to crimes like these, there are plenty of countries which are safer and more welcoming.

Theft at Johannesburg air port has been going on for years.

And as far as I concern, they can carry on, without me financing their crime syndicate!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Karl,

That's horrible to hear particularly since I've had more clients through ORT this year than any other with no issues. I don't know how without a lot more cost and time that ORT can be avoided when accessing Mozambique or Botswana and to a lesser degree Zim and Zambia.

Mark

I guess I'm your first client who has had issues then. My bag was ransacked both ways. On the way over they grabbed a fixed blade knife that belonged to one of my grandfathers but it didn't really mean anything to me. On the way back, because I'm a slow learner, they nabbed my leatherman multi tool that my parents gave me when I was 10 or 11. That one bothers me. I obviously should have put it in my gun case but hindsight is 20/20.

What a horrible airport.

Edit: On my return trip, for some unexplained reason, they checked everyone's carry ons and personal items at our gate. Asked all sorts of questions and confiscated people's drinks even if they had purchased them after security.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19:

What a horrible airport.

Edit: On my return trip, for some unexplained reason, they checked everyone's carry ons and personal items at our gate. Asked all sorts of questions and confiscated people's drinks even if they had purchased them after security.

On the return trip that has been Going on for 10+ years. As far back as I have traveled to Southern Africa.

I asked the question one time on why the recheck prior to boarding and was informed that it was something the US government (State Department) had them do.

Some times they have a men's line and women's line for the inspections.

Sometimes you have to remove your Shoes for inspection.

Ticket is check against your passport and questions concerning your travel. And times they ask to see your checked bag tags. So I learned that you keep them handy for the check.

Carry on bag check, sometimes you have to empty it and other times they just do a visual scan and ask you what you have in the bag. I make a list before I travel and mark off any items that are no longer in the bag and give them the list.

Sometimes they take your bottle of water and other times they let you keep it.

It all comes down to who you are being interviewed by.

I have found that the process is different for the different airlines that I have flown out of Joberg.

Be calm, follow the simple instruction, and you will not have issues.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19:

What a horrible airport.

On the return trip that has been Going on for 10+ years. As far back as I have traveled to Southern Africa.

I asked the question one time on why the recheck prior to boarding and was informed that it was something the US government (State Department) had them do.

Some times they have a men's line and women's line for the inspections.

Sometimes you have to remove your Shoes for inspection.

Ticket is check against your passport and questions concerning your travel. And times they ask to see your checked bag tags. So I learned that you keep them handy for the check.

Carry on bag check, sometimes you have to empty it and other times they just do a visual scan and ask you what you have in the bag. I make a list before I travel and mark off any items that are no longer in the bag and give them the list.

Sometimes they take your bottle of water and other times they let you keep it.

It all comes down to who you are being interviewed by.

I have found that the process is different for the different airlines that I have flown out of Joberg.

Be calm, follow the simple instruction, and you will not have issues.

The horrible airport comment referred to the fact that I had my suitcase ransacked twice and two knives stolen, not because of the extra gate check. My guess as to why that happens is probably because they have too many unscrupulous people working there and they are worried about things being smuggled. Taking people's drinks is still ridiculous.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19: What a horrible airport.

The boarding ramp check has happened to us a voie of times, but never when we flew Qatar or Emirates, only Delta. One time that comes to mind involved a folding table set up about halfway down the jetway, a guy was manning the table and was randomly picking passengers to check, he emptied carry ons and patted the chosen passenger down. As luck would have it, we were among the lucky chosen few. He emptied our carry ons, rummaged through the contents and stuffed it back in our bags. He then gestured for me to raise my arms to be patted down, I did with no problems. He then motioned for my wife to do the same and I told him “hell no, get a female”. He looked at me like I was crazy and sent us on to the plane. I guess he thought he would get a free feel.
Just 3 weeks ago we didn’t experience this.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Bwana338 said. In addition, on one occasion years ago when we were returning home, they were splitting the men and women into two lines for inspection for the return Delta flight. Suddenly four buff looking men, with crew cuts, in civilian clothes and carrying aluminum cases walked up and started to bypass the lines heading for the jetway. When they were asked to stop, they pulled someone over and sternly talked with them. They then proceeded on board with their aluminum cases. I can only assume. . . . .