THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    OK...So When are we Going to Africa?;)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK...So When are we Going to Africa?;)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Even in hotspots like NYC they are talking about opening things back up in stages and new cases and deaths are dropping as well.

Nobody is saying much about Africa and there doesn't seem to be much going on there...or the media just isn't interested.

So my thoughts are, When are we going hunting??

Are the Airlines opening back up soon?

Is late 2020 in play??

I'm ready to go

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what country you are able to enter right now. However, you appear to be getting edgy and maybe you and a few friends would be able to charter a jet to take you over and back on your time line after you have all your ducks in a row. I am thinking that is your ticket to your African experience, and you would not have to wonder about where to sit on the jet.

Some countries in Africa are starting to grow in cases Covid-19 cases. And yes daily testing is not taking place, however when they do test the number are growing. But they could be the defective test kits that china is providing to the world, so who knows.

The countries locked down early like Namibia and Botswana, and they are opening up some restrictions in a 5 part opening up plan so you could follow along, and maybe slip in their later this year.

Sounds like Zimbabwe is extending its lock down for another 2 weeks, and possible further out. So maybe they have more going on than what is being reported. Getting there will be the difficult part, so look for something to fly you direct into Zimbabwe and or maybe Zambia.

It appears that the posturing with SAA is playing out and the airline will be saved in some way, they are working on union contracts and pay. So things are on hold for now, more will be out later this month.

Some countries like South Africa are starting to see a rise in Covid-19 cases (300+ cases a day), the people are standing lines miles long to receive food from the government. The government can no longer keep the masses locked down and the cases are spreading.

As mentioned dead is dead from the virus or starving so which do they chose, to stay locked up and starve or go out daily to find something eat and become infected.

It is looking like some countries in Africa will be seeing a wealth tax on the wealthy to pay for the shut down.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No country is accepting visitors.

They are only accepting their own citizens back.

And frankly, despite my love of hunting in Africa - been going there every year for many many years.

I will not venture out of my country until I am certain free travel is actually working.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely no private jet for me so hopefully things with SAA will work out.

Yes Saeed same here. I have already been exposed to the virus so I guess?? that I have some immunity but since RSA and Zim aren't accepting visitors now it really doesn't matter at this point

I AM HOPEFUL for later in the season though

one of us
posted Hide Post
I leave July 7 for Zim. I AM GOING all 75 years on this ole bag o bones! I do NOT plan on being quarantined along the way just open up that country. We have a leopard waiting!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all want to get to Africa and do our safaris this year but........

Reality is that there will not be flights available for quite a few months...

Then the problem of mandatory quarantine in an African country isn’t very enticing to me..

The facts are that 2020 is a no go as I see it..... no matter how much we really want to go!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I do not think that I could wear an N-95 mask throughout an entire 18 hour flight.

Everyone is at high risk of being exposed but it tends to become serious if you have the below conditions.
Over 60
Have asthma or any respiratory issues
Diabetic
Obese
Heart Disease
Had any kind of cancer

Look at the stats of survival if you have to be put on a respirator. How many respirators do you think are in Zimbabwe?

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WR500:

Then the problem of mandatory quarantine in an African country isn’t very enticing to me..

The facts are that 2020 is a no go as I see it..... no matter how much we really want to go!!!!!!!

Sorry to say, but totally agree !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
Everyone is at high risk of being exposed but it tends to become serious if you have the below conditions.
Over 60
Diabetic
Obese
Heart Disease
Had any kind of cancer

Look at the stats of survival if you have to be put on a respirator. How many respirators do you think are in Zimbabwe?

A friend's father in AZ just passed from the virus, funeral is Wednesday. He was in perfect health except for a pacemaker.

Any kind of weakness of the body and the virus seems to strike fatally. Something to ponder for those that have had health issues that are manageable under normal conditions.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
Over 60
Diabetic
Obese
Heart Disease
Had any kind of cancer

A friend's father in AZ just passed from the virus, funeral is Wednesday. He was in perfect health except for a pacemaker.

Any kind of weakness of the body and the virus seems to strike fatally. Something to ponder for those that have had health issues that are manageable under normal conditions.

First off, sorry for your loss!

I also had a friend that died from it but he had diabetes and high blood pressure, so yes I agree that it does kill people with health issues more readily

You said that, "he was in perfect health except for a pacemaker." Having a pacemaker IS a pretty big health issue....needing a device implanted into the body to make sure that the heart beats properly is a pretty big deal.

But I know what you mean...my friend seemed perfectly healthy too

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:

Morten

I am calling it 2023 before I start looking at going.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
quote:

Morten

Ugh...seriously? Don't you think that you are being a bit pessimistic?Wink

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I had 2 hunts scheduled this year. I’m combining them and pushing them to next year. At least it will save airfare by only going over once next year.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it will open up by 2021 when I'm booked.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still hoping to go this year. Once it's OK'ed I'm getting on a plane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alfredo,

Are you still going if you are to be put into mandatory isolation for 2 weeks in Jberg or Harare????

(Not me that’s for sure!)

I believe you are on a leopard hunt. If the season opens at all it will be very late in the year which
means the very hot weather..... not conducive for a cat hunt because of baits not keeping long etc...

What about moon phases???

Have you thought about any of these things????

I think you need to rationally consider many things before making a decision....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alfredo,

Are you still going if you are to be put into mandatory isolation for 2 weeks in Jberg or Harare????

(Not me that’s for sure!)

I believe you are on a leopard hunt. If the season opens at all it will be very late in the year which
means the very hot weather..... not conducive for a cat hunt because of baits not keeping long etc...

What about moon phases???

Have you thought about any of these things????

I think you need to rationally consider many things before making a decision....

Thanks for the reply! NO, I wouldn't go if I had to quarantine in Africa, that's for sure. Only if travel is free by then. And yes I thought about bait's so I guess that I should have said that I would go up to mid October

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have hunted, and shot, many leopards.

Never paid attention to how long baits last or moon phases!

The more baits are needed, the more animals I hunted!

Works great!

A couple of years ago we found an old tom lying in the bush.

Got out and shot him.

No bait! clap

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Works great!

Got out and shot him.

No bait! clap

How many leopard have you killed Saeed? Just curiousWink

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Morten

I am personally not going on any hunts I can't drive to. We aren't going on cruises, or to Disneyland, I have a enlarged heart, and it isn't worth it to me. We have 3 young children at home, and an adult child and two grand children.

Do what you want, but until things are a ton better I just can't risk it.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Works great!

Got out and shot him.

No bait! clap

No idea.

Never kept track of anything I shot.

Always look forward to the next one, whether it is elephant, lion, leopard or buffalo!

On my very first safari my PH picked us up from Victoria Falls, and driving to the concession he asked what animals I was after.

I said “everything on license”

He said “anything we should concentrate on?”

I said “yes, everything!”

He laughed, and I think I ended up shooting almost 30 animals.

Never looked back!

One year we hunted two separate concessions, ended up shooting over 70 on that one.

We normally went at the end of the season, and shot everything left on quota in Zimbabwe.

In places like Chete, it was great, as many hunters were not able to shoot much!

Worked great for me and Roy!

Finding a bunch of bulls and shooting all 4 at once was great.

Couldn’t shoot more because of the boys in the butchery wouldn’t be able to butcher them!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Works great!

Got out and shot him.

No bait! clap

No idea.

Never kept track of anything I shot.

Always look forward to the next one, whether it is elephant, lion, leopard or buffalo!

On my very first safari my PH picked us up from Victoria Falls, and driving to the concession he asked what animals I was after.

I said “everything on license”

He said “anything we should concentrate on?”

I said “yes, everything!”

He laughed, and I think I ended up shooting almost 30 animals.

Never looked back!

One year we hunted two separate concessions, ended up shooting over 70 on that one.

We normally went at the end of the season, and shot everything left on quota in Zimbabwe.

In places like Chete, it was great, as many hunters were not able to shoot much!

Worked great for me and Roy!

Finding a bunch of bulls and shooting all 4 at once was great.

Couldn’t shoot more because of the boys in the butchery wouldn’t be able to butcher them!

That’s awesome Saeed lol!

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good for you, I am sure that you enjoyed it.

While hunting one year in Zimbabwe, there were 3 leopard hunters arriving the day after I was to depart. My PH asked me if I minded shooting some bait animals for pre baiting for the 3 leopard hunters. No cost to me, they would have done it if I would have said no. So sign me up, and I had a great time.

I have plenty of ammunition and we proceeded to shoot and hang bait animals for the 3 leopard hunters. Zebras, impala and wart hogs. If memory serve me, it like close to 21 animals. Lucky me, We set trail cameras and built a few blinds for the incoming hunters, where a nice leopard was feeding. I am thinking we had over 7 different leopards on bait for the incoming hunters. Just to think, I was part of their hunt and they did not even know it.

Long story short, all 3 leopard hunters were able to bag their leopard in the first or second day of their hunt.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Morten

I am personally not going on any hunts I can't drive to. We aren't going on cruises, or to Disneyland, I have a enlarged heart, and it isn't worth it to me. We have 3 young children at home, and an adult child and two grand children.

Do what you want, but until things are a ton better I just can't risk it.

In your situation I wouldn’t either!

Don’t take any chances, allot of people depend on you

One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Received the below information from a South Africa outfitter. He explains that they are now in a Level 4 lockdown and no international travel is allowed until they reach a Level 1. That will be some time from now. It is very tough on many of the outfitters, PH's and others in the tourism industry that don't have anything else to fall back on.

I do not want to go into too much detail but in short our lockdown “works” as follows:
Our government has divided the lockdown into 5 levels of restriction.
Since March 27 we were in level 5 which meant total lockdown.
From May 1 we went into level 4 and thereafter it will be lowered pending the containment of the virus.
Until we reach level 1 international travel will not be allowed. Who knows when this will be?

All is well but unfortunately it is very quiet – especially the cash register!

On the Safari side we are staying optimistic, positive and patient (something us hunters can all do well!), but realistically we cannot see that the situation will change within the following month or two that will allow International travelling. The hunting and tourism industry in South Africa has been hit really hard with this virus – as it is seen as recreation, which is not allowed.

Most of our neighbours in the Tourism industry as well as outfitters here and across Africa have been forced to close down completely and retrench their staff with no pay or hardly any pay due to the loss of income during this time. Guides and PH’s are sitting at home with dire financial consequences which is very sad, as it is traditionally a “seasonal worker” industry. It is really tough out there.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
If you went to Zim would you have a 14 Day Quarantine in S.A. and then a 14 day Quarantine in Zim?

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post