THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Transiting JNB with a rifle--what to expect?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transiting JNB with a rifle--what to expect?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In late September I'll be flying into JNB on Emirates then connecting to SAA for a flight to Bulawayo with one suitcase and a checked rifle in a second case. What should I expect?

Will Emirates be able to check the bags through to Bulawayo? If not, what is the process? Will I have to claim the rifle case or both bags in JNB and then re-check with SAA? Do I have to go through customs and immigration?

Travel With Guns has me applying for the SAPS permit since I'm transiting South Africa with the rifle. There is a VIP service available. I'm fairly cheap but don't look forward to being hassled when tired and jet lagged. Is this expense worthwhile when simply transiting JNB or is it reasonably staightforward to manage this myself? Thanks!

Posts: 110 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hire the service, whether Air 2000, Rifle Permits or whoever its money we’ll spent. I’ve used Air 2000 many times and they can/will make your airline transition very smooth and easy. I’m sure the other providers can do the same, just have no experience with them.
Doing the same as you in about 3 weeks and have hired a meet and greet service.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2744 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
England,

Get the VIP Service. You will thank yourself. They will meet your flight as you leave the jetway, whisk you through customs, pick your bags up and deposit you at the SAPS office to get your guns. TWG will have a representative there to assist and check you and your gear onto your next flight. You'll love it and you'll know where your stuff is.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always use Rifle Permits when going to JNB! It takes all the stress out of it. Well worth every penny.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
England,

Get the VIP Service. You will thank yourself. They will meet your flight as you leave the jetway, whisk you through customs, pick your bags up and deposit you at the SAPS office to get your guns. TWG will have a representative there to assist and check you and your gear onto your next flight. You'll love it and you'll know where your stuff is.

Mark

Yep!

We were flying to Toronto, Canada.

A friend from there suggested we get the VIP service.

We did, and sure glad we did.

When we arrived, we were kept on the plane for about 15 minutes - because the arrival hall was too crowded!!

Got off the plane, and the arrival hall was packed liked the proverbial sardines!

We were met at the door, whisked through a side desk, where an immigration officer took less than 30 seconds to stamp our passports!

Money well spent!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66933 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So to clarify, what happens if you fly into JNB and change airlines (Emirates to SAA)? Does your rifle get transferred seamlessly? Or do you need to claim your rifle and go through customs/immigration? I was hoping I might avoid that goat rodeo.

I'm flying into JNB but then taking SAA to Bulawayo.

Posts: 110 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by England:
So to clarify, what happens if you fly into JNB and change airlines (Emirates to SAA)? Does your rifle get transferred seamlessly? Or do you need to claim your rifle and go through customs/immigration? I was hoping I might avoid that goat rodeo.

I'm flying into JNB but then taking SAA to Bulawayo.

Logically, one would expect the rifles to get transferred automatically, as you will be in the International Transit section of the airport.

One does not clear customs until after passport control, and in my experience one does not go through passport control on International Transit transfers.

Posts: 66933 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest that you contact Emirates and possibly SAA to see if your guns/baggage can be checked through to Bulawayo from your departure airport. If you don't take possession of your guns in JNB you don't have to go through SAPS. I've done this several times on trips to Zim, Namibia and Botswana but all my flights were on SAA.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Emirates and SAA are code sharing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are not overnighting in Johannesburg, check your rifles all the way through to Zim or to your final destination.You should not have to pick up your rifles in Johannesburg.When purchasing your airline ticket make sure you do not buy separate tickets.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
England,

If you are checking your guns and luggage all the way to Zim you don't really need the VIP but it would be nice. I always recommend you get the VIP and gather your guns and luggage in JNB and physically check them onto the Zim flight with assistance from TWG rep. You will have assistance through the whole process and it will not be a hassle. Plus the point is you'll know your kit made it to JNB so if it does not arrive Zim you'll know where it is. Otherwise you don't know where your stuff is.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you pick up your rifle VIP in Johannesburg it will cost you an extra 500 if not more.There is no need to do so.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

Your putting out bogus info which is not helpful. I will get back shortly with the real costs.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
From Travel With Guns this AM concerning meet/greet JNB: Meet at end of jet way upon departure from flight, assistance through Customs etc, luggage pick up, gun permit/retrieval of guns from SAPS office and help with checking onto next flight $240.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Are we not missing something here?

TRANSIT means you do NOT have access to your onwards luggage!!

Or is it different in South Africa??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

In the scenario I outlined above you would go through Customs and "Enter" RSA. If you choose to check your guns and luggage through to Zim or wherever you stay in transit and do not "Enter" RSA.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I've always checked mine all the way thru.. Did it on Emirates >> SAA to Harare and the Emirates flight was delayed arriving and I missed my connection. My gun and bag stayed in transit until the next day when I got a flight to Harare..

Worked out fine but I was admittedly worried about whether I would have bags when I got to Zim.. I did and all was good...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
From Travel With Guns this AM concerning meet/greet JNB: Meet at end of jet way upon departure from flight, assistance through Customs etc, luggage pick up, gun permit/retrieval of guns from SAPS office and help with checking onto next flight $240.

Mark

I wish it had cost me only 240.I have it here on my contract it says "weapon clearance paper work 450." That is not including all the tipping that accompanies it.Three people to tip one way.I am not making this complicated.You are the one suggesting he not check his rifle all the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used TWG to arrange travel and Rifle Permits in SA to do the exact program outlined by Mark on two separate trips. 240 is what I paid. I think I ended up paying a little extra to have Anna meet me next morning and assist with check in for my connecting flight. I figured with tips I spent roughly $300 bucks each time.

Would for sure check bags through Joberg and stay in transit if that was an option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just because airlines "code share" does not mean luggage (including guns) get transferred seamlessly. My last trip, to SA in 2018 I flew United out of San Antonio to Houston (First Class) then Emirates to Joberg through Dubai. My wife was making her first trip to Africa with me. Kathi of Wild Travel (highly recommended) was told, and told me, that since United and Emirates were "partners" that all bags, including gun case, would be checked through to Joberg. When I arrived at SAT on the morning of departure-guess what-I was told that I would have to claim everything in Houston and recheck with Emirates. You can imagine how thrilled I was with that news since I had my checked duffle, my gun case, plus my wife's bags. Upon arrival in Houston I sat waiting for my gun case for over half an hour and the United people could not tell me why it had not arrived at their office yet. I happened to look down a hallway and there it sat with some golf club cases. I retrieved it, then our checked bags, then had to haul everything across the airport to the Emirates terminal, where we had to go through the check in process all over again, to include removing my guns from the case.
On the return trip three weeks later after claiming my bags in Houston the United people (at least three of them) told me I did not need to see TSA even though I insisted. Then United would not allow us to access their lounge since we did not fly international with them (but were flying First Class with them). You can guess what happened-they called my cell phone about twenty minutes before we were to board telling me they needed to get in to my gun case. Met a United supervisor and a TSA agent the other side of the airport and they refused to let me go with them to open the case-insisted I give them my key. Barely made the flight.
Next morning at home I was unable to open my gun case-somebody broke my lock. Had to haul my loaded gun case back to the San Antonio airport. Met with a United supervisor and she could tell I was not happy. Ended up going to a locksmith who was able to pick the lock and showed me the broken pins. United eventually reimbursed me for the locksmith expense but nothing else. I will never fly United again with firearms, and probably not without firearms either.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Just because airlines "code share" does not mean luggage (including guns) get transferred seamlessly. My last trip, to SA in 2018 I flew United out of San Antonio to Houston (First Class) then Emirates to Joberg through Dubai. My wife was making her first trip to Africa with me. Kathi of Wild Travel (highly recommended) was told, and told me, that since United and Emirates were "partners" that all bags, including gun case, would be checked through to Joberg. When I arrived at SAT on the morning of departure-guess what-I was told that I would have to claim everything in Houston and recheck with Emirates. You can imagine how thrilled I was with that news since I had my checked duffle, my gun case, plus my wife's bags. Upon arrival in Houston I sat waiting for my gun case for over half an hour and the United people could not tell me why it had not arrived at their office yet. I happened to look down a hallway and there it sat with some golf club cases. I retrieved it, then our checked bags, then had to haul everything across the airport to the Emirates terminal, where we had to go through the check in process all over again, to include removing my guns from the case.
On the return trip three weeks later after claiming my bags in Houston the United people (at least three of them) told me I did not need to see TSA even though I insisted. Then United would not allow us to access their lounge since we did not fly international with them (but were flying First Class with them). You can guess what happened-they called my cell phone about twenty minutes before we were to board telling me they needed to get in to my gun case. Met a United supervisor and a TSA agent the other side of the airport and they refused to let me go with them to open the case-insisted I give them my key. Barely made the flight.
Next morning at home I was unable to open my gun case-somebody broke my lock. Had to haul my loaded gun case back to the San Antonio airport. Met with a United supervisor and she could tell I was not happy. Ended up going to a locksmith who was able to pick the lock and showed me the broken pins. United eventually reimbursed me for the locksmith expense but nothing else. I will never fly United again with firearms, and probably not without firearms either.

My question is with a drive time of approximately 3 hours between San Antonio and Houston, why fly that leg of the trip. By the time you drive to the SAT airport, park, check in, go through security, wait for departure, then arrive in IAH, wait for the connection, etc, you've not made any time at all?

I have the same issue living just west of Fort Worth. When I fly out of Houston, by the time I drive to DFW and go through all of the predeparture hassles, I can drive to IAH (4.5 hrs) and make the same flight with roughly the same departure time from my house.

Just a thought especially with how badly your UAL experience was.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have been told code shares do not check baggage through and have been told it is the law for hazardous goods but have never found it. However, every time I have flow with code share connections I had to go get my baggage. Even when told it would connect through I did not believe it and went to collect my bags. That has always been my experience.

Safe travels.......LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd: Great advice for any future travel. Thanks for the suggestion.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's well worth the money to ensure your sanity, and if there's a problem, then you have a contact in Jo'burg to sort it out for you.