New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vaccine card for SA entry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was told last night that entry into South Africa requires either a vaccination card with a QR code or a PCR test as in the past, also with a QR code. I checked this morning and apparently this in true, my vaccine card doesn’t have a QR code.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

My son and I just went through this process. Depending on where you got your vaccine they may or may not be able to issue you a QR code for Vaccine certification. Rite Aid pharmacies in the US for example will do that, just go to their website and search for vaccine certification. Check the place where you got your vaccinations first.

Alternatively, you can download and install an Android and Apple phones app. The app is called CLEAR, search for it on your app store.

When you install CLEAR and create an account, there will be an option (scroll to look for it) titled Covid Vaccine Certification. Open that section and it will walk you through the process. You will scan a copy of your ID (passport or Driver's License) and then have to take a photo of yourself against a plain background. After that process, you can enter in your vaccination dates and manufacturer, etc including multiple vaccination and boosters. Once you do all that it will generate your ID photo and the QR code for certification. Everything is done while in the APP so have all your vaccine cards, DL, etc ready.

I will note that we have created that certification but don't arrive in RSA for our hunt until the 23rd of May so I can't guarantee that it will work. However, researching this at various covid websites shows that only one QR code is generated based on your ID.

Good luck, PM me if you have questions.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FROM SHAWN AT GRACY TRAVEL TODAY

Hi Guys,

They need to have a QR code on their vaccine card to avoid testing.

If they cannot get a QR code for their vaccination card they will have to do a rapid test 48 hours prior to departure with a QR code.

The QR code is key.

If they are not vaccinated they will still need the PCR or RT-PCR test 72 hours prior to departure with a QR code.

Stay safe,

Shawn

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, thanks! Already checked where we got our jabs and the don’t do that, yet. We still have about 45 days so I’m sure we can sort it out.
Thanks again.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have asked this a couple of times and still have not gotten an answer so maybe someone will know here. Just because I have a QR code, what makes me know that people at passport control in South Africa can read it with their QR code reader?

A lot of places in the US have the ability to have their vaccine data put into what is called a Smart Health Card that is a QR code. CVS can provide a Smart Health Card QR code, as well as a bunch of other bit name providers. So getting the QR code doesn't seem to be a problem. But from what I can see, that QR code is not readable by just any code reader. It seems like just because I can get a QR code, doesn't necessarily mean I am good to go here for my June trip. Do we really expect customs in Joberg to just change from code reader to code reader to find one that might work?

Now, with this said, I will be the first to admit I don't have the slightest clue how this QR code stuff all works. Maybe someone works in this field and can give us some insight on it?

Posts: 58 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike B.:
I have asked this a couple of times and still have not gotten an answer so maybe someone will know here. Just because I have a QR code, what makes me know that people at passport control in South Africa can read it with their QR code reader?

A lot of places in the US have the ability to have their vaccine data put into what is called a Smart Health Card that is a QR code. CVS can provide a Smart Health Card QR code, as well as a bunch of other bit name providers. So getting the QR code doesn't seem to be a problem. But from what I can see, that QR code is not readable by just any code reader. It seems like just because I can get a QR code, doesn't necessarily mean I am good to go here for my June trip. Do we really expect customs in Joberg to just change from code reader to code reader to find one that might work?

Now, with this said, I will be the first to admit I don't have the slightest clue how this QR code stuff all works. Maybe someone works in this field and can give us some insight on it?

It’s been my experience that the QR code is read by both immigration officers and airline personnel, the immigration officers at OR Tambo could certainly read the QR code on our PCR test results last October as could the ticket agents for Qatar and SA Airlink. Maybe we just got lucky, but they were able to verify. Also, Immigration “detained” a passenger right before us because her QR code was apparently fake and they were going to put her back on a plane to wherever she came from.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Good morning. I am sitting in Africa Sky typing this.

We arrived in Johannesburg at 0345 local time this morning (14 May) on Qatar airlines.

We were the first ones to enter the stanchions leading to immigration and halfway through was an official and he was taking down chains on the ends to allow faster access to immigration. He told us to get our passports and proof of vaccination or covid test ready and he would review it when we got to the end of the next stanchion. When we got there, we showed our passports and US CDC cards. He politely asked, "do you have a digital copy with the code?" I opened my phone and showed him the digital copy with QR code that I had downloaded from Texas Health (our medical center). He did not scan it with anything or really even read it closely. I said, "here is mine, and here is my wife's". He said thank you and that was it. No one else asked for any more proof.

I did not see anyone getting pulled out of line, but we went through very fast. I will add everyone was very friendly, professional and polite at immigrations, customs and the police office where you go to pick up your rifles.

Gilbert from Africa Sky was there to get our guns and take us to the guest house. Talking to Gilbert, he said it appeared the "QR code" was the latest scheme to shake down travelers to purchase another covid test.

Well, we are so happy to be back in Africa! Looking forward to a wonderful month.

FYI: I was able to get an electronic proof of vaccination with QR code from our medical provider's website as well as the Walgreens website. We only received our boosters at Walgreens yet both sites had all our vaccinations. From what I understand, all vaccinations are supposed to be logged into a Big Brother data base. The recent "QR code panic" motivated us to get a PCR test the day prior to travel as a backup plan. We did not need it. In our recent entry experience, that test was an unnecessary expense.

Safe travels.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We just learned that anyone, including US citizens, regardless of vaccination, must have a negative PCR test taken no more than 1 day before departure to get into the US!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Last week when we entered the US from Jamaica, we only needed an rapid antigen test, not the much slower PCR. And the test result was only showed to the clerk at the airline check in counter. No one at CPB in Miami asked to see test results. What a cock up…

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Rapid antigen and supervised self-checks are acceptable for return to the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru...gnostic-testing.html

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I got vaccinated by the Oklahoma Health Department. I come right up on their website. Apparently they don’t give a QR code.

For the life of me…I have not figured out how to get one. I will call the OK health department today and see if they have ideas.

I do think the Clear App is a viable option. Just trying to figure out different route without having to buy an app service.

Some folks have told me that the Walgreens website will make you one even if you weren’t vaccinated there — I thus far have not been able to get that to work either.

If anyone has good solutions…I would greatly appreciate the help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Take a PCR test and be done with it.

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
How do we know what QR codes will be accepted. A QR code is simply a type of barcode. The contents can be as simple as a URL to a website or can contain a few kilobytes of data. If the QR code contains your actual vaccination record there would need to be a standard format for the data. Otherwise they may be able to scan it, but see it as gibberish.

I think Saeed has the right idea. If the requirement is still in place in September I will just get a PCR test. Do they require the results to be in a QR code? I am ready for this to be over!

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Saeed has the right idea. If the requirement is still in place in September I will just get a PCR test. Do they require the results to be in a QR code? I am ready for this to be over!

I think we are all ready for this to be over, when I heard about this earlier this month I checked and saw where a PCR test form required a QR code. We have taken a couple of trips in the past few months that required PCR tests and the forms have had QR code’s. Test taken in US, Zim and Moz.

Karl Evans

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Three friends are flying to SA this morning.

Fully vaccinated, but took a PCR test just to be sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one cares to spend a few minutes, one can get a vaccination QR code from CDC…if your vaccine provider submitted the info. I already have the QR code but tried this one and it worked, did it as “guest”.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
If one cares to spend a few minutes, one can get a vaccination QR code from CDC…if your vaccine provider submitted the info. I already have the QR code but tried this one and it worked, did it as “guest”.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/c...ent-certificate.html

Forgot the link…

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have clients leaving Friday who have waited until just now. Years ago I use to travel with all of my medical info to show certain vaccinations. Seems like Botswana was particular and required proof of vaccines.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I got vaccinated by the Oklahoma Health Department. I come right up on their website. Apparently they don’t give a QR code…..If anyone has good solutions…I would greatly appreciate the help.
Lane I used VaxYes to get a QR code, simple and cost was just a five dollar donation. People are currently using this to clear South Africa customs.

We are flying through Joburg, not entering, but I thought it a good idea for us to have just in case.

It is not an app, and it can be easily uploaded to Apple wallet from their website once crested. Can also login to their website and retrieve it.

https://gogetdoc.com/vaxyes

Cheers!

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Also, the SMART Health Cards seem to be the standard. Here is a website that mentions the large pharmacies and States, but also a button that expands to show all health facilities that are capable of issuing these SMART Health Cards.

Lane your Oki healthcare facility is not listed but this would be the first place I would check if I didn’t want to go the route of a different provider like Clear or VaxYes although from what I can tell at least right NOW a QR code is a QR code.

https://smarthealth.cards/en/issuers.html

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
It seems that the problem is where you got your vaccine. The local pharmacies and county health departments don't appear to participate in the SMART card or CDC Vaccine Administration Management System (VAMS). I am sure that all of the vaccinations are in one database or another. It's just a matter of knowing where to look and hoping they offer a QR code to access the data.

I couldn't find myself in VAMS and SMART didn't list our county health department. So I downloaded the CLEAR app. They offer free access to their Digital Vaccine Card. I completed the application last night and this morning my app is displaying a QR code and showing my vaccination record. It's probably a combination of the information I entered and data from one of the databases.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
The wife and I used VaxYes to get our QR code. Stored on the wallets of our IPhones. Sailed right through OR Tambo Tuesday night

Posts: 261 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I got vaccinated by the Oklahoma Health Department. I come right up on their website. Apparently they don’t give a QR code…..If anyone has good solutions…I would greatly appreciate the help.
Lane I used VaxYes to get a QR code, simple and cost was just a five dollar donation. People are currently using this to clear South Africa customs.

We are flying through Joburg, not entering, but I thought it a good idea for us to have just in case.

It is not an app, and it can be easily uploaded to Apple wallet from their website once crested. Can also login to their website and retrieve it.

https://gogetdoc.com/vaxyes

Cheers!

Got it done! Thank you kindly sir.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

Has anyone had any trouble with the gogetdoc QR code?

I saw today anyone under 18 now needs a birth certificate along with your passport.

I'm taking my family including my daughter who is 15 early in June and I am worried about the QR code.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Surefire here, I just completed the VaxYes application and got a QR code after struggling with MyColorado and a provider site. The VaxYes in Gogetdoc was very straightforward!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Came through OR Tsmbo about 10 days ago. Looked at the “negative” on our phone. Had no means to scan an “QR” code. Total joke. I would not worry.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta just sent me a note about our 25 June departure saying that we need a pcr test to get in to JNB. Shawn Kennedy's pre-departure note says vaccination with a QR code and you're in. Which is it?

Posts: 117 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shawn is correct. I should have known after 4 trips.

Posts: 117 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Just went into OR Tambo with 8 people roughly two weeks ago. 5 had a vaccine card only. 3 no vaccine and a test within 72 hours. No problem. Seen a couple people using a self test they brought standing on the sidelines for 15 or so min and they let them in. In our group of 8 they only looked at docs for 5 of us going in.

Went back through to home yesterday. No one asked for anything in Bots or SA to get home.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
It looks like they have scrapped testing and vaccination requirements to enter South Africa.

https://www.sapeople.com/2022/...health-restrictions/

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member