THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Montecristo cigars- Cuban vs Dominican

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montecristo cigars- Cuban vs Dominican
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted
In my two previous trips to Namibia, I stopped at the Duty Free Shop in Frankfort and bought Cuban Montecristos. The first time, they were nice and fresh and tasted great. The last time (2013) they were stale and brittle and tasted bitter. Just as an experiment, I ordered some Dominican Montecristos from Thompson Cigar Co. here in the USA. They arrived this week, and are outstanding. Oh, and they're less than half the price of Cubans!!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cuban leaf can now be somewhat "mythical"
Those seeds and plants left Cuba many years ago to places like the Dominican and high quality can clearly be found many places now...
Fuentes...others...
I used to get many "straight off the boat in Ybor in Tampa"
There is still a Methos and Placebo Effect in place for Cubans

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "mail order places" were also right in Tampa too by the way and were great to visit and buy direct.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The very best production is sent to the two major consumers of Cuban cigars: England and Spain.

I've smoked Cuban cigars in South Africa, Canada, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Greece, Italy, numerous Caribbean islands, and England. England had the best of them.

That said, I've always thought Cuban cigars were overrated and overpriced.

Dominican, Honduran, and Nicaraguan cigars are far more enjoyable IMHO.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lot of factors to take into account on the variability of Cuban cigars.

The quality of a tobacco crop can vary year to year, much like wine grapes. Things like weather and precipitation can play a definitive role. You mentioned that there was a time gap in between your experiences so there certainly could have been a difference in the tobacco used.

Quality control for Habanos remains spotty - it's Cuba. Lots of things in play here - tobacco quality, skill of the torcedores (rollers), etc.

Storage conditions will absolutely affect how any cigar smokes. I have visited several Duty Free Shops and, for the most part, their humidification/storage is not ideal when compared to a well run tobacco shop. Given the DF locations though, this shouldn't be unexpected.

Method of production is also really important, especially with regards to Cuban cigars. Traditionally, they have always partially fermented their tobacco. This results in cigars that smoke very well for the first few months after being rolled. Then the leaves begin to complete the fermentation process on their own. While this takes place, the cigars take on bitter, acrid flavors which are less than pleasant. Once this process is finished, the cigars settle down and begin to develop the complexity, depth, and nuances that Cuban cigars are famous for.

Dominican, Nicaraguan, and Honduran producers usually allow the leaves to completely ferment prior to rolling so their sticks are generally enjoyable "right off the truck".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what niners fan said, plus 1!

I have gravitated to Maduro and Oscuro in the 8"x54 or larger sizes from Nicaragua the past few years. In three trips to Africa I have never gotten a bad Cuban, but some of the ones we made a 500+ mile ride on the bikes to Canada to buy were less than stellar.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
The very best production is sent to the two major consumers of Cuban cigars: England and Spain.

I've smoked Cuban cigars in South Africa, Canada, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Greece, Italy, numerous Caribbean islands, and England. England had the best of them.

I have a theory about that which is partially related to what Ninersfan had to say above. The countries like England and Spain probably have faster turnover of inventory. Given that, even with a completely homogeneous product leaving the factory, there is less time for the product to be improperly stored or otherwise mishandled (yielding cracked wrappers, etc). Given that, one is more likely to get a "worse" product in the other locales where they sit on the rack in a crap humidor for a good bit more time. This is one primary reason I never buy cigars at the Cairo duty free when I enter. One look at the condition of the box tells me that the contents are probably in less than ideal condition and got that way over several months (or more) of being shuffled around the city in 110 degree heat or otherwise fucked up by some 15 year old stock boy with a third grade education.

JMHO

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Finished my Namibian safari with 28 Dominican Montecristos, and they did an excellent job of repelling mopane bees, not to mention they tasted great while sipping a cold Tafel lager around the campfire at night.Thanks for all the input here on AR.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
what niners fan said, plus 1!

I have gravitated to Maduro and Oscuro in the 8"x54 or larger sizes from Nicaragua the past few years. In three trips to Africa I have never gotten a bad Cuban, but some of the ones we made a 500+ mile ride on the bikes to Canada to buy were less than stellar.

If you want good Cuban cigars, go to Norway. There is a little shop in downtown Oslo that has been there since WW II. It is the official importer for all of Scandinavia, and have an excellent selection of really good cigars. They are expensive, but well worth it.

I paid $80 for a Cohiba Maduro when I was there about 6 years ago. It was a brand new cigar then and it was heavenly.

A friend in Norway asked me to bring in a carton of Marlboros for a co-worker. The guy gave me 6 righteous Cubans in exchange for $40 worth of cigarettes.

Skip most of western Europe. Storage conditions are abysmal, especially in Italy.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I love a good cigar and an adult beverage but it will be a cold day in hell before I will spend $80 on a stick. If someone wants to give me an $80 stick I will definitely enjoy it but to pay that much and smoke it, I would be too racked with guilt to enjoy it. By no means am I bregrudging you for doing so my conscience is too guilty to do so. Besides my palate is not developed enough to appreciate the difference between a $15 stick and an $80 stick. And I am sure some think I would be nuts to spend $15-20 on a cigar too. We all have our little endulgences. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ggruber said...there is also a similar shop in Bergen, Norway, who pride themselves in selling the best of the best..

But I have to concurr with Mike here, there is a limit to what I will pay for a good smoke..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with a Montecristo No. 2 (sorta goes with the .450 No. 2); I think that one is about $12 which is not too bad for a premium cigar but it still makes me feel sorta guilty. But I drink cheap bourbon to make up for it.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The three best scents-the scent of flowers,cigars,and a wood burning fire.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I love a good cigar and an adult beverage but it will be a cold day in hell before I will spend $80 on a stick. If someone wants to give me an $80 stick I will definitely enjoy it but to pay that much and smoke it, I would be too racked with guilt to enjoy it. By no means am I bregrudging you for doing so my conscience is too guilty to do so. Besides my palate is not developed enough to appreciate the difference between a $15 stick and an $80 stick. And I am sure some think I would be nuts to spend $15-20 on a cigar too. We all have our little endulgences. tu2

C'mon guys. When I tell my friends what a DECENT double rifle costs, and how I would buy one in a minute if I had the bucks, they look at me like I just stepped off the short bus.

When I was in Norway it was on business. The company I was working for was picking up all my expenses. Norway is the most expensive place I have been to (except Tokyo).

3 meals a day for 2 people was around $400.00. I didn't even inquire what my hotel room (across from the new Opera House) cost.

A Big Mac was $26.

They wanted me to stay for 2-3 months. I knew I would go broke on cigars alone if I stayed.

Here at home (SO CAL), I smoke maybe 6-7 cigars a year. My favorite is a Padron 1926 Anniversary Series. I pay about $26 each for them and do not begrudge myself the cost.

And yes, if you smoke enough cigars, you can tell the difference between a $5 cigar and a $26 cigar.

However, I did smoke a $62 Padron for my birthday a couple of months ago and was not impressed.

Another favorite of mine is the Fuente Opus X. When I am on the East coast I buy them from a cigar store in a gas station near Yonkers, N.Y. run by an Indian family.

I pay $35 each for them and they are well worth the money.

When I went to Norway I brought a handful of Dominican bands with me. I purchased about a dozen nice Cubans and re-banded them.

Sailed right through customs...

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Opus X are marvelous . . . usually the challenge is finding them. I really like most of the La Flor Dominicana cigars, particularly the Ligeros and Double Ligeros.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking for Germany 99% of all the shops who offer the posh cigars as mentioned have a humidor and offer very good selections. Typically you do not have to buy a box but you can make a selection. This allows obviously selecting cigars which look best in your eyes. I agree that quality from Cuba is quite mixed and the other countries offer fantastic cigars too.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Couldn't believe how inexpensive good cigars were on a recent trip to South Carolina. In the US, it's all about the tax. The same Montecristos I paid $8 for in SC would be $25-30 in Alaska.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Joberg I picked up some Monte Cristo's, R&J's and Cohiba Cubans. Smoked them in the Zambezi Valley and didn't care about the cost, I'll never forget it.
They were wonderful. The one that really sticks out in my mind was lit sipping a couple Castles when we got back to the cruiser, re-lit during drinks, re-lit after dinner and finished while showering and shaving at Pedza.

I was going to share some with Buzz, but Al and Ray said he was trying to quit. Wink

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 442 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ninersfan:

The quality of a tobacco crop can vary year to year, much like wine grapes. Things like weather and precipitation can play a definitive role. You mentioned that there was a time gap in between your experiences so there certainly could have been a difference in the tobacco used.

Quality control for Habanos remains spotty - it's Cuba. Lots of things in play here - tobacco quality, skill of the torcedores (rollers), etc.

Storage conditions will absolutely affect how any cigar smokes. I have visited several Duty Free Shops and, for the most part, their humidification/storage is not ideal when compared to a well run tobacco shop. Given the DF locations though, this shouldn't be unexpected.

Method of production is also really important, especially with regards to Cuban cigars. Traditionally, they have always partially fermented their tobacco. This results in cigars that smoke very well for the first few months after being rolled. Then the leaves begin to complete the fermentation process on their own. While this takes place, the cigars take on bitter, acrid flavors which are less than pleasant. Once this process is finished, the cigars settle down and begin to develop the complexity, depth, and nuances that Cuban cigars are famous for.

Dominican, Nicaraguan, and Honduran producers usually allow the leaves to completely ferment prior to rolling so their sticks are generally enjoyable "right off the truck".

Bingo. You got a dried out turd.

70*/70% is key otherwise you got a turd. The best are well aged and have an ashen grey look because of the sweated ammonia salts.

Not a fan of the Montes in general. The #2 being the Marlboro Whites of the Cubans. A lot of the others are hit or miss. Cohiba and Partagas have been very steady from a quality standpoint. The R&J Limitadas have all been just wonderful cigars regardless of the vitola.

If you are a special occasion smoker I'd recommend any of the Limitadas that come out each year or the Maduro 5s. The Secretos are just a phenomenal little cigar that packs a great punch.

For daily drivers I prefer Cohiba Siglo VI, Esplendido or Partagas Serie D or P. I know nothing of non Cubans.

PS IMO the best drink for smoking is Cynar or Zucca. These are Italian bitters/appreitifs/digestifs made from artichokes and rhubarb respectively and their earthy undertones compliment cigars well without overpowering the flavor.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
quote:
Originally posted by ninersfan:

Bingo. You got a dried out turd.

70*/70% is key otherwise you got a turd. The best are well aged and have an ashen grey look because of the sweated ammonia salts.

Not a fan of the Montes in general. The #2 being the Marlboro Whites of the Cubans. A lot of the others are hit or miss. Cohiba and Partagas have been very steady from a quality standpoint. The R&J Limitadas have all been just wonderful cigars regardless of the vitola.

If you are a special occasion smoker I'd recommend any of the Limitadas that come out each year or the Maduro 5s. The Secretos are just a phenomenal little cigar that packs a great punch.

For daily drivers I prefer Cohiba Siglo VI, Esplendido or Partagas Serie D or P. I know nothing of non Cubans.

PS IMO the best drink for smoking is Cynar or Zucca. These are Italian bitters/appreitifs/digestifs made from artichokes and rhubarb respectively and their earthy undertones compliment cigars well without overpowering the flavor.

I bow in the presence of cigar greatness . . . you obviously know your stuff. tu2

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My turn.

I have been smoking cigars for 20 plus years. I prefer mild to medium bodied cigars which automatically rules out most of the Cubans. I do enjoy Cohiba Esplendido and R&J Churchill in the Cubans but not much else. IMHO, the best of the Dominicans, such as Arturo Fuente products can compete with the Cubans everyday at half the cost and with good quality control. There are a lot of great Dominicans, it just depends on your palate and tolerance.

I bring a box of Arturo Fuente 858 to Zim every time I go to Africa. A nice cigar around the fire with an adult beverage and not expensive.

Cheers,

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I made a note to pick up some of the 858's.

While we are comparing cigar notes, several other favorites of mine:

* 601 Maduro Blue Label
* Punch Rare Corojo
* My Father Flor de Las Antillas

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cohibas and Partagas for me. Hoyo de Monterrey for an everyday smoke.

And I like to stick with the classic drink, vintage Port, but a glass of Sauternes is a great match too, for after a meal.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

I made a note to pick up some of the 858's.

I made a note of that too as if and when I have one I prefer the milder cigars.

Question though - which ones do you take as give aways for guys in Africa? All I ever took was cartons of Marlboro before.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AF 858 Maduros are mild also and some folks think they are better than the naturals-- try one of them too.

Cheers,

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
The three best scents-the scent of flowers,cigars,and a wood burning fire.

I will agree with shootaway on this one. I would argue hard for number 4 being the smell of dew on grass on an early morning before a hunt.

Cohiba Siglo II for me. Aboard a cruise ship in their cigar room, next to a dry river bed in Africa, a campfire under the Texas sun, and - hopefully - one day on mountain next to a 60+ in argali with a view of the middle east to my left and russia to my right.

There are lots of cigars, not enough hunts.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Butch.
IMO the problem with the milder Cubans is that they are the ones with the most "variability" within the same box, esp the longer vitolas- churchills notorious for that. The shorter ones not so much (kinda hard
to fuck up rolling up a robusto........)

Y'all forgot the smell of a hot cup 'o joe. Best part of deer huntin is waking up from your nap, lightin up a cigar, pourin a cup o' joe from the thermos and just enjoyin the morning. No cover scent needed.

Rifle kinda stinks after the season, but oh well.

Honorable mention: Don't forget about that distinct aroma that sets apart Cohibas from the rest.

PS For all of you out there when you read this. Tell your wife you love her. You just never know what lies around the corner...........

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Reflections of a cigar smoker . . . I think one of the joys of smoking a good cigar is that it forces you to slow down, to pause and enjoy life. Everything we do is so fast paced and hectic, smoking a good cigar is like having to sit in big boy time out. Big Grin

P.S. Butch, smoked an 8-5-8 maduro yesterday. Very enjoyable.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJ,

we are in absolute agreement on that.

Move to the patio, get a bottle of good Gin or Vodka and some tonic water. Plenty of ice.

Clip the end, take a minute or so to fully light a good Maduro or Oscuro, state side the Nicaraguans seem to have the most body; and just watch the tree squirrels for about two hours.

Last week, one of the neighbor's cats caught one. It may have been the worst five or six minutes of his life.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike is correct. Smoking a good cigar forces you to slow down and relax-- makes the cigar/cigar experience much more enjoyable.

One of my favorite places to smoke is in the duck blind or standing in flooded timber, makes the wait that much better.

Good hunting

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
some dutch cigars ( tobacco comes from SE Asia ) are not bad.
In bind, swisher sweets will do it every time, especially on ski slope hauling ass down hill

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I know you are someone looking for a nice combination of quality and value. Try the Arturo Fuente Curly Head Deluxe Maduro Lonsdale. They look a little rugged on the outside, but that actually adds a hint of charm. A mild to medium cigar. I think you would be impressed. Best part, $65/box or well under $3.00/stick.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a try.

Just ordered a box from JR.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bitter taste the OP mentions is a strong clue the cigars were dried out. Cigars that are too dry usually taste bitter because they burn too fast.

Cuban Montecristo No. 2 and No. 4 are among my favorite smokes. I like them better than the Cohibas. The Dominican copies are not competition for the Cuban brand. Punch and Quai de Orsay are other great Cuban smokes.

Cuban cigars usually do best at 66-68 percent humidity, just a bit drier than the 70 percent recommended for most cigars. I've kept some for several years without their losing taste. Most cigar shops over-humidify their smokes, making re-lights a necessity.

In order to avoid fakes (which are rampant in many countries) when traveling, go to the nearest Casa de Habanos franchise, the official Cuban distributors. I don't know what's in Africa, but fakes are pretty much assured in Mexico, the Caribbean, and other countries, outside a Casa. Anyone know of one in Johannesburg?

Posts: 6102 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only Cubans I ever experienced were in Berlin. They were very good.

Since then, I have quit tobacco and really can't go back.

It's rather sad.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Not stocking Cubans, but the best cigar shop in Colorado (and a large number of the other states) is Stag's in Colorado Springs. A huge inventory and some surprises on rare cigars that they do carry. Oh, and the place is gun and hunting friendly with the prettiest owner anywhere.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
As someone else mentioned, the Habanos of better condition will be at the Habanos SA stores or cigar stores rather than a duty free store.

My personal favorite is the Bolivar Belicoso Fino, closely followed by the Cohiba Siglo 6.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This probably old news:
The Paiute Cigar Shoppe in Las Vegas is an excellent place for quality/selection, price and service. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote