New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lufthansa Firearm Carriage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was told by someone in the airline industry that Lufthansa has modified their firearms carriage policy to allow a passenger to carry only one firearm and only one firearm in a guncase, even if it is a double rifle case and you have a hunting partner traveling with you. Also, they are said to be limiting the amount of ammo allowed to 1 kg (2.2 pounds). That isn't much ammo if you are taking a big bore rifle. Their website still says 5 kg on ammo, but the person that told me is pretty connected with this airline. I hope it's not true...

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the Lufthansa Website

Specification

Securely boxed ammunition (cartridges for weapons) for sporting purposes in Hazard Division 1.4S.

Checked baggage: yes
Carry-on baggage: no
Carrier’s approval required: yes (1)

Rules

Weapons and ammunition must be packed in different bags. If necessary, a special luggage box must be used to separate both items from each other. Weapons must be unloaded.
Ammunition carried in passenger aircraft must be for personal use for sporting and/or hunting purposes only.
Only ammunition classified as 1.4S, UN0012 or UN0014 will be accepted.
Each passenger may carry a maximum of 5 kg gross of ammunition (must be weighed) for their own personal use.
Ammunition must be securely packaged, i.e. in standard commercial packaging.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lufthansa did not respond to a written question on one gun one case and I quickly dismissed them as an alternate to my United change in plans. They verbally answered by reading off the baggage policy that is listed on the website.

Would like to hear of any experience with Fastjet. They too post one gun one case but they provided a written response allowing more than one gun per case. Did hear of one hunter being denied more than one gun in a case and that the cost for a gun case as baggage being $170-$250.00.

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Round trip LH you are looking at USD 500-600,- in charges for weapon handling / carriage.

5 kgs ammo still valid and no limit on number of gun cases as long as you are paying !

Turkish didnt charge us a dime last time we flew with them to RSA. Beat LH hands down!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
After my last experience with Lufthansa - nothing to do with guns - they are the last on my list.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote