New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refund question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We recently cancelled our SA trip. Trying to get a refund rather than a credit. Delta cancelled our flight between ATL and EZE probably due to Argentina closing down all international travel.

We booked our flights through Pranha(sp), a SA travel agency. Upon checking with Delta, they advised us we had to go through the travel agency for a refund. It appears they are stonewalling us. Has anyone got any good advice on recourse or remedy?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no advice for you but was in a similar situation. We booked some flights through travelstart in south Africa. Big mistake. They would not issue any refunds either no matter what I tried. One flight was on British Airways and their rules are clear. They should have issued a refund for a canceled flight. They kept trying to tell me that because it was operated by a subsidiary that they didn't have to issue the refund. But my flight was actually a BA coded flight, and I kept arguing that, and got nowhere. Learned a good lesson that day, which is never book through an agent like that again. I will always book direct with the airlines since I know 100% what the rules are for refunds, delays, and other issues.

Hopefully you have better luck than I did. We didn't lose the money, just out only option was to book later on. That assumes the airlines still exist when we try and go.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, best to find someone on the ground that can beat their doors down. This is not uncommon as many places are going out of business. Times are pretty bleak at the moment so only squeaky wheels will get any attention.

If that fails, go back to Delta and raise a stink. That's about the only recourse you have.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The airlines don't have the money for all refunds.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you book with a SA booking agent when there are some very good ones in the US that specialize in hunting. Get any refund out of South Africa for anything is impossible

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 263 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
We hear all the time on this forum that you should always book through a reputable travel agent. Well, maybe time to rethink that. A lot of travel companies are probably in bad shape. As an aside, I always book direct with the airline. Qatar Airways refunded my cost for two ATL-JNB business tickets with no problem. In fact, the email I received when the flight was cancelled included a link to apply for the refund.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I'm with Spooksar. Why would anyone book a flight through an out of country travel agency when we have travel agencies like Gracy Travel and Travel With Guns here in the US that specialize in safari travel. I've just cancelled my own itinerary that included three separate airlines through Gracy Travel and I expect to get refunded or have a credit for future travel shortly.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

I'm with Spooksar. Why would anyone book a flight through an out of country travel agency when we have travel agencies like Gracy Travel and Travel With Guns here in the US that specialize in safari travel. I've just cancelled my own itinerary that included three separate airlines through Gracy Travel and I expect to get refunded or have a credit for future travel shortly.

Mark

Looking for a cheaper price may be??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We couldn't get the conections for the flight.

Lesson earned

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
We couldn't get the conections for the flight.

Lesson earned

Jim, either travel agency that’s Mark Young mentioned will give you great service, especially when there is a problem. I use Shawn Kennedy of Gracy Travel, whom Mark recommended to me. Last December, my son and I were in Tanzania and were not going to be able to make our return flights home, as the airstrip near camp was so muddy that our charter flight couldn’t land. We were able to reach Shawn from camp thanks to WiFi in camp, and she went to work on changing our flights. Literally on a few hours notice, she had us booked on Ethiopian, which was the only airline we could fly with guns as a last minute booking.

She saved our butts. Something to think about.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I had a similar snag this spring. I was taking my wife to Spain and Portugal on a tour (prepping for the next Africa trip) which was shut down by COVID-19. I had booked our flights through Expedia. The airlines consider Expedia a "travel agent." Expedia melted down and I could get no help other than a computer message telling me I could cancel the flights and get a credit on Expedia. I had paid a bit more to American and British Airways for seat assignments on the overseas legs, and Expedia wasn't involved with that.

I had paid with my Mastercard and even with Expedia doing the booking, the charge was listed as "British Airways." I gave up on Expedia (burned that bridge and dynamited the footings) and disputed the charges with my card issuer (Citibank). I did end up getting all the money refunded. Took about 6-8 weeks but I'm cheap and stubborn.

Posts: 109 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I went to my Credit card company and disputed the charges with Delta. Talked to the agent for a bit and she said it would be taken care of.
They told me that all of my payments to Delta had been refunded, simple and easy, don't know why I didn't try that earlier.

Thanks to all for the info.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it taken care of.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Yesterday I went to my Credit card company and disputed the charges with Delta. Talked to the agent for a bit and she said it would be taken care of.
They told me that all of my payments to Delta had been refunded, simple and easy, don't know why I didn't try that earlier.

Thanks to all for the info.

Glad you got it taken care of. We were not getting service from our "Cheap" online company after a Mozambique hunt was postponed. We went to the credit card company and they credited our account. It was much simpler.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yep. I ALWAYS go to the credit card company first and dispute the charges. Then go from there.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Typically they won’t refund if you cancel, but will give you a credit that you can use for two years. They will refund if they cancel.

You did well.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote