New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windhoek hotels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is a good hotel to stay in in Windhoek. Looking for a good room and decent food.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch of guest houses to choose from. Some of the more notables are:

Casa Piccolo - Just down the street from Joe's Beerhouse and Stellenbosch Wine Bar
Terra Africa
The Belvedere
Casa Africana
Villa Verdi
The Protea Hotel
The Fig Tree

Most are very simple and clean and cost between $65 to $100 per night including breakfast. Depending on the time of year, it would be wise to book well in advance. Windhoek fills up quickly. The better places are almost 90% - 100% booked during the on season - April through October.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Thule Hotel has a good reputation. If a Guesthouse (breakfast only) is acceptable, I suggest Casa Piccolo. Both are located in Klein Windhoek in SE part of Windhoek. I have stayed with Claudia Horne at Casa Piccolo SEVEN times. She has secure parking and a place for your guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For full hotel service Hotel Thule is difficult to beat. Great food and views of Windhoek.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I like Onganga Pension Hotel. It's 3.6 miles from Joe's Beer House, good rates, and a walk in vault for firearms storage Here's their website:
http://www.onganga.com

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Casa Piccolo and if you want to surprise Claudia take a little fresh New England Maple Syrup.

They also recommended a delivery service for take out food that I've forgotten the name of but a guy showed up with a fantastic multi course meal delivered on the back of a small motorcycle.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.namibia-info.com/co...-pension-new-nouveau

A Nice little pension, spacious rooms and polite staff...and a solid gunsafe.

The bar is nice with high roofs and african taxidermy on the walls....llow rates..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I too, liked Onganga. tu2 We stayed there and loved it. Had a taxi at our fingertips to go into town and to enjoy Windhoek. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Onganga. All of my stays there have been pleasant.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stayed here last year . Very nice bed and breakfast.
www.housepalme.com.na

Posts: 76 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
The wife and I stayed in the Windhoek Hilton one night in 2012, the night before our flight home. Worst value of our three week trip. Nothing awful about it, just overpriced for what we got. If I go again I'll be asking this same question so I can be closer to Joe's...(the zebra steak was excellent as well as the conversation with other tourists)

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Onganga was bought by a Chinese gentleman. Service was down lately!
Casa Piccolo is a good option, alternatively Klein Windhoek Guesthouse around the corner. They have a good restaurant which is also a good hang out of us locals.

Posts: 193 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update on Onganga!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We shade for several days at the Hotel Pension Palmquell in Windhoek. It is somewhat off the beaten path, but if the same Austrian ladies are running, the service is impeccable and the food divine. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about Onganga. It was a nice family-run operation back when I stayed there in 2004 and 2007.

Posts: 10005 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with Onganga. Great accomodations, great food and great hosts. They went out of their way to make me feel at home.
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Casa Piccolo is the best B&B in Windhoek.

Claudia and Thomas's hospitality is fantastic.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No votes for just the Hilton huh?

Ooops - I missed your tx348. I will have my younger daughter along too so I was thinking more uptown as well.

How far from Piccolo in to the main part of Windhoek?

Thanks guys.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents ...

Best hotel - Heinitzburg, great rooms, service, wifi, super pool, excellent food and superb wine list. Plus great spot for sundowners with the view over Windhoek.

Guest house - Olive Grove, great fun rooms, small family atmosphere, spa and plunge pool, great breakfasts, wifi and staff that help ! Plus 10 mins from Joes Beerhouse.

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I stayed in the Kalahari Sands. Nice hotel if you like HIV, bad food and service.

Plus side it is downtown. Badside is the above.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the Hilton Windhoek just after it opened in 2011. As mentioned above it is more expensive (about $170 per night) although not greatly more expensive than some of the other places. We had a great room with a patio and good view over Windhoek.

The hotel has a gun safe, a couple of different restaurants, one up on the roof again providing good views. The hotel is also located near the center of town and you could safely walk to the numerous restaurants and shops either day or night. There were a number of street merchants selling all sorts of trinkets and souvenirs about a block away.

As I recall it was about a ten minute drive (if that) to Joe's Beer House from the Hilton. If you're going to be in Windhoek I would highly recommend Joe's. Also, the oysters which you find all over the place are excellent as Namibia has a number of oyster farms on their coast.

Next time I get to Windhoek I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Hilton.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
My 2 cents ...

Best hotel - Heinitzburg, great rooms, service, wifi, super pool, excellent food and superb wine list. Plus great spot for sundowners with the view over Windhoek.

Guest house - Olive Grove, great fun rooms, small family atmosphere, spa and plunge pool, great breakfasts, wifi and staff that help ! Plus 10 mins from Joes Beerhouse.

Cheers

Another vote for the Heinitzburg - a great place to visit regardless if you stay there. Great food, great views of Windhoek, and a very important historical location in Namibia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too stayed at the Hilton for 2 nights last October. Got a pretty good deal thru Priceline.com. I thought is was nice and the breakfast buffet was very tasty. Location was great for shopping, nice pool & bar on the roof, I would stay there again.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We stayed at Kalahari Sands in July and it fit our needs just fine. They picked us up right at the airport. We grabbed a cab over to Joe's for dinner that night and ate breakfast there the following morning. It was a nice buffet.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MTarcher
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Olive Grove. Very comfortable and clean guest house, great breakfast and short taxi ride to Joes!

Posts: 56 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 13 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Klein Windhoek Guesthouse around the corner. They have a good restaurant which is also a good hang out of us locals.

tu2
Have stayed there many times solid value B&B, recommendation from Janni & Anri of Gras.

The restaurant/bar, 20 meters out the side door is a great watering hole.

It pays to ask for advice on Airport transfers & local taxi service, too.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Roof of Africa, which is just down the street from Joe's is another option. Not quite the Paris Ritz but perfectly nice for a hunting trip. Can't remember how much it was but not bad at all. And maybe a three minute walk to Joe's.

Did I mention it's close to Joe's? What else would you care about in Windhoek?

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And maybe a three minute walk to Joe's ..... Did I mention it's close to Joe's? What else would you care about in Windhoek?

Rick,

Sounds like a real find to me.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Headed to Joe's in 30 minutes for a slab of Oryx and few bottles of wine. Anyone want to join us???

One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick O'Shay:
The Roof of Africa, which is just down the street from Joe's is another option. Not quite the Paris Ritz but perfectly nice for a hunting trip. Can't remember how much it was but not bad at all. And maybe a three minute walk to Joe's.

Did I mention it's close to Joe's? What else would you care about in Windhoek?

+1 for roof of Africa. Can't compare it to any others but it worked for me. Stayed one night. Very reasonable, clean, staff was friendly, breakfast buffet was tasty. But I'm not picky.

Oh yeah, it's close to Joe's.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Headed to Joe's in 30 minutes for a slab of Oryx and few bottles of wine. Anyone want to join us???

Saw your post too late!

Posts: 193 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, as usual the Kudu and Oryx were superb. One of the folks in our party was brave enough to tackle the game knuckle and another took on the 500g rump which was more like 800g. Not a pretty sight.

Unfortunately, it will be a few more weeks until I return to Joe's... Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how intown and Hotel you want to be. Etango Ranch and guest farm is right across the highway from the Windhoek airport. It is owned and operated by Volker Grellman, and family. A LONG time PH, hunt arranger. He is, or was last time I talked to him, head of the Namibia PH association, and runs a guides school. Food was great, at least to me, had a back porch eating and scenery area. Has detached rooms, and is more country. Do a search for Etango Ranch for more information. Downtown Windhoek is close to 30 miles from the airport, Etango is, maybe 2 miles.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Well, as usual the Kudu and Oryx were superb. One of the folks in our party was brave enough to tackle the game knuckle and another took on the 500g rump which was more like 800g. Not a pretty sight.

Unfortunately, it will be a few more weeks until I return to Joe's... Frowner

I remember seeing that on the menu back in 2010 but don't remember exactly what it was. Can you describe what it is?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was staying at aarebbush and enjoyed the hotel

Caçar é mais que matar, é um estado de espirito...

Posts: 82 | Location: Brasil | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

I remember seeing that on the menu back in 2010 but don't remember exactly what it was. Can you describe what it is?

It looks like something from the Flintstones. It is about a two and a half pound ham hock (pig, beef, Oryx, buffalo, etc) also known as Schweinshaxe in Germany, with bone in that takes a fair amount of testicular fortitude to tackle. Germans love it, especially the large round types.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its great in Germany; it's great at Joe's. I guess I'm one of those "round types".

Posts: 10005 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I should also add that if I were you I would not do business with any Chinese owned establishment anywhere in Africa. Seems to go without saying, but PM me if you want reasons.