THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    British Airways or SAA? Help Please!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Airways or SAA? Help Please!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have to quickly book a flight to Joberg to arrive in RSA on May 18th for a Safari. I have always used SAA before and never had a problem with guns or baggage, other than the seats. I am 6'4" and 280#. Those seats are not made for me.

I am aware that British Airways offers the same route but I have never used them. I sure don't want a hassle with my guns or ammo in London or anywhere else. I understand that BA offers premier economy seating which would make me a little more comfortable.

Could those of you with some practical insight in this area offer some quick advice

Bwana91

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Bwana,
I've flown both and much prefer BA over SAA. Their World Traveler Plus seating is about $600 more than economy but was worth it to me. I am 6'3" and 235 so I feel your pain! I had no problems with firearms and checked them through to my final destination, Lusaka Zambia. Everything arrived with me and the attendants were very courteous.

I will be flying SAA on May 15th but only because BA won't let firearms through whose final destination is Zimbabwe. The Brits stand against Mugabe and though an inconvenience for me, I applaud their resolve.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm;
I flew BA from JoBerg to Vic Falls in Zim last year. No problems with the transport of my guns into Zim. Is this a new policy that BA has adopted since last year? If so, thanks for the heads up.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Guys

It isn't an airline policy, it's a governmental one. The UK Govt has an arms embargo to Zimbabwe. There's nothing to stop you flying with firearms on BA to Jo'burg, collecting your bags and firearms there and then re-checking in for a seperate flight to Zimbabwe.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's nothing to stop you flying with firearms on BA to Jo'burg, collecting your bags and firearms there and then re-checking in for a seperate flight to Zimbabwe

Steve,
Would one have to deal with SAPS in some manner if you did this? If so, unless overnighting in Joberg, I personally wouldn't recommend it. But to each, his own!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana 91,

In my opinion BA offers the best service to Africa. I use them anytime I can and recommend them to my clients. Problems with guns in London or on BA are an urban legend. Particularly now in this time of hieghtened security they are particularly careful to take excellent care of your firearms.

Bwanarm,

You need to go through the SAPS business if you are going to Zim via JIA but that is not that big a deal. I'm doing exactly that this year so I can use BA.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm,
Could you elaborate a little on exactly how BA's premium seating differs from their regular seating. Are the seats wider, is there more legroom, etc? I'm 6'10" and weigh 315lbs. The seating in those darned Airbuses that SAA is flying now is absolute torture for me on that flight to Jo'Burg.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ron,

The BA World Traveler Plus offers considerably more room than regular BA coach and BA coach is a quantum leap over that Airbus. If you are a big guy I'd seriously consider the upgrade.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if it will affect American or Canadian travelers, but BA have started charging extra if you take more than one item of check-in luggage, regardless if its under your weight allowance..

I was told they were exluding additional sporting items from this new policy, so that should cover rifle cases..

As I said, due to the different luggge allowance regulations for North American flights, I suspect this won't apply to Americans or Canadians, but it would be as well to double check..The fees being quoted for checking in a second case are quite outrageous, and I will do my best to avoid BA in the future because of this..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
World travellor plus seats are 4 inches wider, 7 inches more leg room and 7 degrees more recline. I'm 6'3 250 and that's the way my son and I are flying in July.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Steve,
Would one have to deal with SAPS in some manner if you did this? If so, unless overnighting in Joberg, I personally wouldn't recommend it. But to each, his own!

You have to go through passport control before collecting your bags/firearms, so I guess you'd have to then clear your firearms through the SAP but I'm not sure what requirements for permitting would be needed as we don't market Zimbabwe. My guess is you'd need to do the usual firearms import thing rather than an in transit permit. Probably the best thing to do would be to pay someone like Air 2000 to take care of it all for you. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
re: transiting s.a. with firearms

you can contact edo at www.riflepermits.com to find out what is needed. he is very helpful and did a great job for me last september.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I want to thank everyone for the reassurances on using BA. I booked my flight in World Traveller Plus to arrive Joburg on 18 May and depart on 26 May. I look forward to the bigger seat and more leg-room.

Bwana91

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
be sure to let us know how your flights and your hunt went ! thanks, tom

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote