Find
Notify
Tools

LUGGAGE FOR SAFARI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,

Someone earlier this year on here recommended the PELICAN AIR 1615. Sadie and I both bought one and they are the bomb. We've tried several types of luggage for international travel. These PELICAN AIR cases are spacious and just about bullet proof. We put the heaviest TSA locks on them that we could find and I can't see unless the thieves had bolt cutters how they could get into these cases. I like them so well I bought a carry-on in a smaller version. At about $260 each I think these cases are well worth it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a step ahead of me. After Ethiopian Air ripped the zipper off my Boyt wheeler duffel this August I decided not to replace it and buy a Pelican. I am very happy with pelican gun cases and since I take less stuff each time I go to Africa I think I can fit all that I need in a Pelican.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

Someone earlier this year on here recommended the PELICAN AIR 1615. Sadie and I both bought one and they are the bomb. We've tried several types of luggage for international travel. These PELICAN AIR cases are spacious and just about bullet proof. We put the heaviest TSA locks on them that we could find and I can't see unless the thieves had bolt cutters how they could get into these cases. I like them so well I bought a carry-on in a smaller version. At about $260 each I think these cases are well worth it.

Mark

Mark, after you packed your new case, what did your case weight?

I also have been looking at the Pelican Air case 1615. I was looking at the different colors, and the color I was wanting to get was out of stock.

I have found that you need have a bag with marking identification on them for ease of finding.

I was in Joberg with my Tuff-Pak and I had had the orange and the lime green luggage tags that Gracy has provided over the years, plus I had added a red and Purple tie to the handles. I was at the firearms area with Bruce (Gracy man on the ground in Joberg) getting ready to show my rifle and shotgun to match up serial number for my SA520 that had been pre-approved. When A fellow hunter on the same flight was trying to wheel my case off as he thought It was his gun case. He did not get very far, and had the lame excuse that he thought it was his. He had saw the case and just knew that it was his.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drongo,

We were gone about 3 weeks. We hunted, fished and toured around. We brought all the clothes and footwear for everything and still had plenty of room if we'd needed it for more stuff. We ordered PELICAN AIR with no dividers and I think that is the way to go. Only downside is because it is a Pelican Case it may show up at oversize baggage instead of the baggage carousel even though its dimensions fit the normal size luggage limits.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Not a safari guy but i bought this to lug stuff to/from the range. it smaller, carry-on size, 9.5 lbs empty.

It's not pelican but is 1/3 the price. also bought the smaller pistol size case that I use twice a week.

https://www.smkw.com/surelock-...series-22-ss3h20g022

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana

My scale shows the PELICAN AIR at 15#. Fully loaded for our trip I think they came in at 36# and 37# respectively when weighed at check-in. If you're on the 50# limit that gives you quite bit of leeway. We bought one case in gray and one in yellow. There was no mistaking them from anyone else's luggage. The cases also have a built in address holder that would be nearly impossible to rip off by accident.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
“would be nearly impossible to rip off by accident.”

I like that. Been thru Joburg with it Wink?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2742 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a great idea. I suspect this will hold up to having an ammo can inside. $274 and free shipping at pelican.com and the code ADDINGTON15 will get you 15% off.

Posts: 109 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark for the luggage tip! tu2 Just ordered one in Black and also used England's discount code and saved myself about $20 overall with tax figured in after the discount was applied (Thanks England!). Can't wait to use it on my next trip to Alaska! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
“would be nearly impossible to rip off by accident.”

I like that. Been thru Joburg with it Wink?

Karl,

We did transit OR TEMBO in both directions.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
England,

An ammo can will not damage one of these Pelican cases. I promise.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 674 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Surefire here,

Mr. Surefire took his new Pelican 1615 to Zambia recently and he reported it was the BEST! Secure, roomy and light enough for the 50# limit with all the needed travel items. He got the black but with tan handles and latches to stand out a bit on the carousel. He got me the grey one with blue hardware for Christmas. Can’t wait to try it out!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I mentioned the Pelican 1615 Air here before and I was very happy with it. I bought the RED handle set for it so it would stand out at the carousel. Pelican hit another home run with this case.

I had the 11 pounds of ammo in a smaller locked Pelican case, all the clothes, spare shoes, snacks etc. for the Safari and still had weight to spare.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to Africa 14 times hunting . My checked luggage is functionable but looks like a Salvation Army reject . With a broken zipper on pouch and several pieces of duct tape . It is roomy does not weigh much and any thieves in Johannesburg or any other third world country for that matter will pass it by for the more fancy ones that promise better stuff .

It goes with saying place all neds and cameras and change of clothing in carry on bag. Binoculars in gun case Amo in checked luggage with lockable box with extra lock . My gun case while very functionable looks warn and used

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shotgun46:
I have been to Africa 14 times hunting . My checked luggage is functionable but looks like a Salvation Army reject . With a broken zipper on pouch and several pieces of duct tape . It is roomy does not weigh much and any thieves in Johannesburg or any other third world country for that matter will pass it by for the more fancy ones that promise better stuff .

It goes with saying place all neds and cameras and change of clothing in carry on bag. Binoculars in gun case Amo in checked luggage with lockable box with extra lock . My gun case while very functionable looks warn and used

100% agree. Meds and optics are in my carryon. My checked bag looks like I bought it on the streets of Bulawayo. Ammo in a small locked case in checked bag. I use an SKB for my rifle case as it is roomy to store lots of miscellaneous items.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tanks,

Thanks for pointing me toward the PELICAN. It is the best thing out there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Mine will be here on Sunday. Can't wait to get it and inspect it! tu2

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Where are yall seeing these at $260?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Where are yall seeing these at $260?

I think you are finding prices with different orginzation options.
The $270 price is for the bare case with no accesories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PELICAN AIR 1615

I don't know about flying, but I have swapped over to
a pair of Pelican Airs for off road driving with my photography gear. I just love them. No moon dust or moisture gets in and they are just tough as all get out. Something catastrophic would have to happen for the gear to get damaged because they have been bumped pretty good.

Posts: 319 | Location: SW Idaho, USA | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I travel light.. am I doing my self a disservice purchasing the next size down ??

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote