THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Travel to ZIM and a COVID test

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to ZIM and a COVID test
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
A friend is traveling to Zim at the end of may for an Elephant hunt, Ethiopia air I believe, and here is his question.
As he understands it so far, a negative COVID test is required for entry regardless whether or not you have been vaccinated. What kind of COVID documentation is required for entry into Zim? He had his shots and has his Vac card.. He is getting conflicting information from the airline, outfitter, etc. about this.
Anyone have any SOLID info on this? Or where to send him to get a definitive answer?

Thanks

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1958 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have him book his hunt through a safari savvy travel agent like Gracy or TWG. They will know all the latest twists and turns.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As of mid March a negative test is required, no exemption for those who have been vaccinated. A document from the testing facility showing results was required.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Mark,

This is his seventh elephant hunt and probably well over his 25th visit to the dark continent. The question is strictly about the COVID testing requirement.

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1958 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
As of mid March a negative test is required, no exemption for those who have been vaccinated. A document from the testing facility showing results was required.

Karl,

Thanks. The question is the timing or date of the COVID test results. He is being told a negative test must anywhere from 48 hrs to 3 days to a week before his arrival. He has been unable to get a consistent or straight answer.

NRA Benefactor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Requirement states 48 hours prior to arrival in Zim. Some people have been able to get by with 48 hours prior to first departure others pulled off the plane in JNB.
Is he going into Harare?
You can fly a US carrier with a Vaccination Card but you will still need a negative PCR test. Try and do one as close to departure as possible.
We are going United and Ethiopian to JNB and the chartering in through Buffalo Range. We are doing a PCR to get into SA and one in SA to be compliant with Zim.
Things may change as tourism is way down and the pressure is on the government. If they do I will adjust. Leaving end of May.

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at several different sources and saw different “requirements”...48 hours vs 72 hrs. US State Dept says within 72 hours, other sources say 48 hours.I had my PCR test the day of departure and made it to Harare with about 10 hours To spare. My wife had her test the night before departure and was about 6 hours past the 48 hour requirement for SAirlink. They allowed her to travel because she was on a continuous itinerary and had not left the secure area of the airport (we flew thru Joburg, your friend shouldn’t have that worry). Others who had overnighted in Joburg were denied boarding. When we arrived in Harare the lady checking Covid documentation didn’t say a word about the times on the documents. I would suggest to him to gave the test the day of departure.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe requires a 48 hour test.

People flying through Dubai take their test here a day before their flight.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KLM exercises mandatory FOC rapid test on all its departure flights from Dar prior to counter check in, irrespective of the negative certificate in the passenger's possession.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
KLM exercises mandatory FOC rapid test on all its departure flights from Dar prior to counter check in, irrespective of the negative certificate in the passenger's possession.

Another screw up in this saga!

If you are vaccinated, you need a test.

Now you have had a test, and you need another one!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:

Another screw up in this saga!

If you are vaccinated, you need a test.

Now you have had a test, and you need another one!

Am not sure about someone from abroad who has been vaccinated and visited TZ but in view of the fact that TZ does not have vaccine (yet) anyone travelling must have the mandatory 48hr test certificate (negative); hence KLM's rapid test requirements.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I was tested on March 29th
Received the results by email on the 30th
Left Mich on the 31st
Arrived in Dubai April 1st
Arrived in Harare April 2cd

Every time i showed the papers all was fine.

Return trip
Tested in Harare same day as we flew out.
Arrived in Dubai next day
Arrived in Chicago the next day

Never had a problem at all.
Could not have been easier

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Zim requires a 48 hr Neg COVID test prior to first embarkation point. I just returned, had my test on 04/06, left Houston 04/07 arrived in Harrare 04/09. I also had copies of my vaccine- not that it mattered.

Here is the link for all countries given to me by TWG:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That link is outdated as Zim updated their rules upon reopening. You are likely one of the lucky ones but the guidance and rules are not crystal clear and open for interpretation.

Some are making it and some are being turned away in their connection city. For anyone going there they should be aware of the actual policy and rules so that they can make an informed decision about how they want to proceed and be prepared with contingencies if it doesn't work out.

You can take a chance and go in with a negative test taken 48 hours before first flight departure, but what if they stop you upon boarding in Dubai, Addis or Johannesburg as they are currently doing. What if you hit Zim and you are put into Quarantine?

https://zw.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-2/

"As of December 1, the Government of Zimbabwe requires all new arrivals to the country to present a negative COVID-19 test result issued within the previous 48 hours. Persons without a test result or displaying COVID-19 symptoms may be denied entry"

In the Zim rules it is a little unclear but seems to refer to the flight that is last headed to Zim, especially as they amended the rules regarding neighboring countries to 48 hours.

no passenger may board an aircraft unless he or she exhibits a PCR COVID-19-free certificate issued within 48 hours of boarding;

Prior to Easter there was an amendment

Travellers coming to Zimbabwe from neighbouring countries 26C (1) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this order, for the duration of the Easter Holiday, which is to say from 1st April, 2021 to 6th April, 2021, all travellers from neighbouring countries coming into the country must undergo a valid COVID-19 PCR test not more than 48 hours from the time of their departure for Zimbabwe

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
48 hours from first point of embarkation is not the same as persons without a test result. The reason I did not leave DBX to stay at the free Emirates hotel and stayed instead at The International Hotel on my dime is to preserve my "transit" status and not need a second test to maintain my 48 hours for my subsequent flight to Harare, which would have then been greater than 48 hours.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FMC. That is from the Zim regulations. I’m not arguing with you.

Staying in transit hotel may have worked for you however there is no definition of transit in the rule and it clearly states 48 hours and upon arrival. Zim wants your business but someone may run into a situation where someone has taken for gospel something from the internet and they are up a creek.

Staying in the airport may work but as you pointed out you were over the 48 hours and could have been denied entrance or put into quarantine.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I think the ambiguity lies in the fact that the regs were written in essence for ground travel as the majority of ingress/egress is via that route.

The clients who followed my hunt also arrived in Humani using the similar MO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I'm flying to Harare via Dubai at the end of May, I just did a "double check" with the Sunbird Guest House (where we are staying on arrival) and they said:

"Covid Test Results: Port Health Authorities have been making allowance for travel time with the 48hr stipulation, so you should be fine"

Again, not an iron-clad guarantee, but made me feel like we'll get through okay.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
I just got back from ZIM. A negative PCR test is required to be taken within 48 hrs of first departure flight. Careful on any overnights as leaving the airport negates that and you will be required to get another covid test. Had to change reservations in Dubai to stay in airport hotel or I would have been required to get another test. Testing in Harare for leaving is quick and easy. 2 hr rapid test was $60 and a quick swap

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote