New
Find
Notify
Tools

VAT refunds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What type items or services are bought on a normal hunt in RSA where refunds would apply.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
See Siyabona Africa Travel for a description of the VAT refunds.

In reality almost nothing that you spend on a typical RSA hunt will be refundable. It does not apply to services, meals consumed, hotel rooms etc. You must be taking the items with you out of the country, and be able to display them to the refund personnel. So, trinkets, souvenirs, books, wine, diamonds, other jewelry,
might be refundable IF you have the original receipt and the Tax receipt from the vendor, and it all adds up to enough.

They will refund it in a check that you must cash and exchange at the airport currency exchange, getting a poor exchange rate and paying their fees as well.

The whole idea is not worth the trouble unless you have several hundred dollars worth, IMO.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The whole idea is not worth the trouble unless you have several hundred dollars worth

Thanks that's what I was thinking, too.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
We bought about $ 800 in jewelery and I think we got about $ 10 back. If you have the receipts, and time to kill in the airport, it's more like something to do.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure your receipt is in Rand, not USD. I had a receipt in USD last year for souvenirs and they refunded me as if the receipt were in Rand. Needless to say, I lost like 7 to 1 in the deal.

Posts: 104 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 April 2006Reply With Quote