THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Most Dangerious Place You Ever Visited?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Dangerious Place You Ever Visited?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
I got lost one time in Hillbrow on the way back to Tamboo Airport. Not a fun experience!

I have a friend that just got back from Guatemala City. He and his wife visited the large trash dump outside the city. She had a woman come up and ask her to take her baby back to America. He has been all over the world and said he had never seen so much Gang Activity and it topped his list.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I would say Afghanistan, Somalia, Djibouti or Iraq, but honestly I have been shot at more in Jacksonville, FL.

So that is my top pick.

The warzone is the warzone and you expect it.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have never sought to visit a warzone, but sometimes you are in the wrong place at the wrong time:

1979, Bangui, Central African Empire, shot at (as in aiming at me)
1983, Ouagadougou, Upper Volta, shot at (caught in crossfire, don't think they were aiming at me specifically)
The above were both coup d'état situations, so very fluid. I was of course unarmed, a civilian.

I lived in Djibouti from 1985 to 1990, seemed peaceful to me, so surprised to see it on a "dangerous" list. I found Yemen in 1986 to be a little dicey however (went for Christmas holidays from Djibouti).

Several trips 2008-2011 to Juba, Southern Sudan. I advise being accompanied by some decent soldiers when going outside of town, and only in places where demining has been done.

There are a few places in Lagos I also advise avoiding, but staying on the beaten path is usually OK. Was in Abuja when a bomb went off a couple km from me, wasn't in any immediate danger. Ndjamena is not as bad as people may think, I do just fine there. Eastern border of Chad with Sudan (Darfour) is another place I try to avoid.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Upper Belize River jungle is the only situation where I was very nervous.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 860 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A Uruguay friend of mine says he does not know one person who has not been robbed in that country Confused

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66800 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chicago, without a doubt!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1095 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I just returned from Guatemala City and it is a Scary place.

Posts: 2323 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Karachi and Quetta, Pakistan.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12504 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the stall next to Mike (Beretta682E) at the shooting range :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Capt was asking about dangerous places we've found ourselves while traveling to recreate not war zones. For me I guess the most dangerous place was in the picturesque town of Hilton in RSA. The town reminds me of an English village. We were staying in a B&B while crisscrossing the country hunitng this and that. We were in the main house and Gary Kelly our PH was staying in the converted carriage house across the courtyard. While we were all having dinner in the main house a couple of knot heads with great finesse sent a huge piece of concrete through the back window burglar bars in the carriage house. They stole Garry's guns and other valuables. We heard nothing only 50 yards away. It was a little disconcerting to have that happen in what might be considered the most developed Afrcan country I've hunted in.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12846 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
In the stall next to Mike (Beretta682E) at the shooting range :-)

Biebs made a funny Wink

I would say Burkina Faso.

I don't have to travel anywhere risky for work.

I tend to choose safe or know places for vacations/hunting/fishing.

Terrorism in western world is very difficult to handicap.

Crime is easier.

I like traveling internationally - I just choose safe places.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, speaking of fear, he's still waiting for you in that deep, dark korongo :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I think the Capt was asking about dangerous places we've found ourselves while traveling to recreate not war zones. For me I guess the most dangerous place was in the picturesque town of Hilton in RSA. The town reminds me of an English village. We were staying in a B&B while crisscrossing the country hunitng this and that. We were in the main house and Gary Kelly our PH was staying in the converted carriage house across the courtyard. While we were all having dinner in the main house a couple of knot heads with great finesse sent a huge piece of concrete through the back window burglar bars in the carriage house. They stole Garry's guns and other valuables. We heard nothing only 50 yards away. It was a little disconcerting to have that happen in what might be considered the most developed Afrcan country I've hunted in.

Mark

pissers

Life experiences vary. 20 years in the military, that is what I have.

I drove through two gangster firefights in Jacksonville, FL in 2010. About a month apart, and 10 miles from one another. One at 10 am and one at 8 pm.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Well, in Yaoundé Cameroon, I got mugged while sitting in a taxi at the main train station( huge traffic jam had all traffic stalled). The next day our taxi end up surrounded by a drunken gang fight while waiting at a red light at a busy downtown intersection. Interesting city....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I Corps, Republic of Vietnam, 1966-67. Hands down. salute

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that got held up by gun point in Puerto Rico three weeks ago. They were flats fishing some of the outer islands and guy came out of nowhere with a gun while they were taking a break on a beach. Sounds like an inside job to me and curious to find out if they were with legitimate Outfitter.

I have heard the same from lots of other people that have traveled to PR. More heroin issues there than anywhere else in the US and they average a shooting every eight hours. It is the only place in the US where marine insurance companies policies do not cover you boat. Overall tourism is down and the island is costing the taxpayers billions every year.

No customs check from PR so lots of drugs and other contraband enter mainland through baggage handlers that are either paid or threatened by cartels. Here we are in 2017 and that island still has a problem with Pirates!

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nigeria hands down. Specifically Warri and Port Harcourt. Lagos is an open sewer.

I have been in a riot in Moscow and all kinds of issues in Pakistan, but Nigeria is easily the most dangerous.

Posts: 10106 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Karachi and Quetta, Pakistan.

Amen on Karachi.

Posts: 10106 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Kafue river.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9847 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
I felt the most uncomfortable in Nairobi, we were followed through a market place until we got to the armed guards at out hotel entrance. Once we were in the bush Kenya was amazing.

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would have to say Oakland for the states and Burkina Faso while out of country

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
So far so good
But I felt bit uneasy in Tijuana and one time in Brownsville Brooklyn in 80's -'literal warzone with whole blocks burned out and I had flat tire, black kid helped me but said, " watch for these niggers around here, nasty bunch "

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Belize was a bit dodgy but Nairobi was downright scary.

Posts: 70 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 19 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Burkina.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paris 13/11/15

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PK5 and also the thieves market (marche des voleurs) both in CAR Bangui end of 80s and beginning of 90s ...

being shot at by yaringas (road blockers)out of Bangui ...

Posts: 1723 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
The local train at night between Trenton, NJ and Philadelphia. Rio, Beijing 1989.

Posts: 751 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mindanao, PI.

Up in the highlands.

DRSS

Posts: 1898 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
pissers

Life experiences vary. 20 years in the military, that is what I have.

I drove through two gangster firefights in Jacksonville, FL in 2010. About a month apart, and 10 miles from one another. One at 10 am and one at 8 pm.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's disconcerting.

Wife & I moved to JAX 2 1/2 years ago due to job transfer she was offered. Got us out of Atlanta, which I'd been trying to do for 20 years.

I was genuinely surprised about the murder rate in JAX. It's an exception NOT to hear of at least one overnight shooting/killing.

Most crime is concentrated on the north side of downtown, or to the far west, but it can occur anywhere.

We live in Mandarin, in southeast JAX, a fairly safe area. But we have had car break-ins with autos parked in owners' driveways. Also, too much door-to-door soliciting (illegal, but still done) which can be a ruse to case the property.

Still, I'm glad we moved--Atlanta makes JAX look like Sunnybrook Farm.

Bad folks everywhere, it seems.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1544 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably Cali Columbia in the 90s. We had a car bumper come through the window of our office there, from a car bomb.
Our office was on the 7th floor.
I was not there that day. But traveled the countryside with an armed guard.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2630 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rio.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Wedding chapel in Santa Fe.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
dancing dancing dancing

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably not a great comparison, but Baton Rouge, La. is getting that way. I don't keep a tally, but seems as tho they kill at least one a night ever since Katrina. I definitly carry when I go to town. GW

The possibilities for disaster boggle the mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:

Big Grin animal

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
Chicago, without a doubt!

SE DC!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goatwhiskers:
Probably not a great comparison, but Baton Rouge, La. is getting that way. I don't keep a tally, but seems as tho they kill at least one a night ever since Katrina. I definitly carry when I go to town. GW

One of my co-workers said the invasion of New Orleans to take the city back by special forces was worse for him than the 2nd invasion of Iraq.

In a 6 block area around the stadium they found 205 dead bodies with gunshot wounds in them.

They personally disarmed and arrested over 50 police officers that were involved in looting businesses. He said there were deadly firefights on a regular basis, until the tide shifted enough for people to start acting right.

He told me that he had no hope for humanity in a big city if there was another natural disaster like that.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Being Walters friend for almost 40 years! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66800 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being Walters friend for almost 40 years! clap

Hands down winner right there! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by Goatwhiskers:

One of my co-workers said the invasion of New Orleans to take the city back by special forces was worse for him than the 2nd invasion of Iraq.

In a 6 block area around the stadium they found 205 dead bodies with gunshot wounds in them.

They personally disarmed and arrested over 50 police officers that were involved in looting businesses. He said there were deadly firefights on a regular basis, until the tide shifted enough for people to start acting right.

He told me that he had no hope for humanity in a big city if there was another natural disaster like that.

Little doubt that New Orleans is a really bad place. If you go to the wrong area, you are in real trouble.

Posts: 11917 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote