THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    TSA Real ID Compliant Driver's License

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA Real ID Compliant Driver's License
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Beginning October 1, 2020, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

REAL ID-compliant cards are marked with a star at the top of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

State-issued enhanced driver's licenses are marked with a flag. These documents will be accepted at the airport security checkpoint when the REAL ID enforcement goes into effect.

This is sure to cause a few surprises next year...

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They've been warning us for 5 years and I know that next year I'll be behind people in the security line who will be screaming that they didn't know anything about it.

To get my real ID driver's license, I had to get a new social security card. The one that I was issued over 50 years ago was suddenly no good because it listed my first name, middle initial and last name, instead of all three names.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
and its all a crock of crap making up special licenses for proof of id. The states should quit issuing licenses to people who they KNOW are not US citizens, like the hordes of illegal immigrants from whatever countries they all come from.

Posts: 574 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a Passport that will work fine also.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I always take my passport and thus avoid any issues. Even flying domestic it's with me. My state issued driver's license has the gold star and is a REAL-ID issued license, but it just seems so much smoother in checking in and going through to the gate to use the passport. With all of that said, I also have Global Entry, TSA Pre-check and CLEAR.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Isn’t this racist? Confused

After all it is a racist infringement to require any kind of ID to vote. Roll Eyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
For the Minnesota application my wife checked the square that said she had used a different name in the past. The name in question was her maiden name that she hasn't used in 51 years. No matter....she has to supply an official, certified, state issued, copy of our marriage license before she can get the EDL. I assume the state of Washington can supply same.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a passport you are fine. kY has an exemption until 2020 unless KY gets another extension.

We are not very good at implementing new tech.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't have my SS card with me just the stub that came with it when I applied for my new license----they would not accept it !

WHAT HAPPENED ABOUT THE sOCIAL SERICURITY WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USED FOR ITENTIFICATION ?

WHAT A CROCK OF SHIP !

Hiop

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Isn’t this racist? Confused

After all it is a racist infringement to require any kind of ID to vote. Roll Eyes

And they use a Star to identify you. Hitler did that too... Eeker

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the use a Star to identify you. Hitler did that too...

Different star. Five pointed, not six. Maybe the Driver's License star has something to do with the devil Big Grin Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.tsa.gov/sites/defa...realid_factsheet.pdf

IDs that fly.

Acceptable forms of ID for air travel include:

• REAL ID driver’s license or other REAL ID compliant state photo identity card issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
• U.S. passport
• U.S. passport card
• DHS trusted traveler card (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
• U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
• Permanent resident card
• Border crossing card
• DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license
• Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
• HSPD-12 PIV card
• Foreign government-issued passport
• Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
• Transportation worker identification credential (TWIC®)
• U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
• U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
My current license expires October, 2020, so
I must renew. The problem is that the local DPS offices have been understaffed and ridiculous wait times. At least I have a year to figure it out.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I must renew. The problem is that the local DPS offices have been understaffed and ridiculous wait times. At least I have a year to figure it out.

Mine expires next month, the renewal notice said I may need to bring my SS card, if they don’t have a copy on file (I don’t know how in the hell id know if DPS has a copy or not).
You’re probably aware, but there’s a DPS license office inside City Hall, first floor, left hallway if you enter off of Ervay St.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonhunter1:
and its all a crock of crap making up special licenses for proof of id. The states should quit issuing licenses to people who they KNOW are not US citizens, like the hordes of illegal immigrants from whatever countries they all come from.

Colorado spends 10s of thousands of taxpayer dollars setting up special licensing offices for illegals to get a Colorado Drivers license!

It’s like setting up firearms training for bank robbers.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff:

Maybe I'm all set then,
renewed mine Monday morning.
Nothing was said about the star.

They did half shock me. My red
hair they called it gray this time!

WTH?? Ha! Guess it's catching up
with me, UNLESS they're colorblind
maybe.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...se-deadline-n1138811

Airports warn of chaos with looming Real ID license deadline

Without a special Real ID driver's license or card, airline passengers will be required to present a passport, military ID or Global Entry card to pass through security, even for domestic flights, starting in October.

Airports warn of Real ID crisis as deadline looms

FEB. 19, 202002:02
Feb. 19, 2020, 3:31 PM CST / Updated Feb. 19, 2020, 6:17 PM CST
By Tom Costello

WASHINGTON — The nation's airports are warning of chaos for passengers if the White House doesn't postpone the looming Real ID deadline.

The law requires airline passengers to present a Real ID-compliant driver's license or ID card at Transportation Security Administration checkpoints in airports as of Oct. 1. Those licenses require more proof of identification than regular licenses and are generally marked with a star on the top.

But while states have already issued 95 million Real IDs, that represents just 34 percent of the total, leaving two-thirds of the country with about seven months to get them if they hope to use a license to board a plane.

Without a Real ID, airline passengers will be required to present a passport, military ID or Global Entry card to pass through security, even for domestic flights.

The Airports Council International-North America, which represents the nation's airports, warned that thousands of passengers could be denied boarding and left stranded.

ACI-NA President and CEO Kevin Burke told NBC News that "this is a crisis waiting to happen."

"If the government doesn't make a definitive statement now that they're going to extend this, then we're going to have a real crisis on our hands come Oct. 1," he said.

Congress passed the Real ID law after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to create a single, robust national standard for all states and territories.

Across the country, motor vehicle offices have been flooded with people trying to upgrade to Real IDs. Everyone is required to present four pieces of identification, including a passport or a birth certificate, a Social Security card or a tax return and two documents that provide proof of residence — a mortgage or a rental receipt and a utility bill.

To handle the rush, state motor vehicle offices have staffed up and are allowing people to make appointments to present their documents for review.

But many states say they're overwhelmed and can't keep up.

Sue Fulton, chief administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, said, "Demand outstrips the number of available Real ID appointments."

Oklahoma officials say only a handful of DMV offices will begin issuing Real IDs on April 30. The rest of the state will follow over the summer.

Oregon authorities said it will take until July before they're able to issue the first new IDs.

"If we worked 24/7, we'd have to do seven a minute to get the number of licenses out by October. But there's no way that we could do seven a minute," Tom Fuller, a spokesman for the state transportation department, said.

Oregon and Washington state are now urging residents to get a passport card or book, saying the process will be far quicker.

Kaiya Arroyo, standing in line at a Manhattan DMV office Tuesday, said: "It's packed in there. The line is out the door. People are very upset, frustrated."

Eric Silver added: "It's pretty chaotic. There's just — people are everywhere. It's impossible to know when you're going to go up."

Asked for a response to the Airports Council's demand for a delay, the White House declined to comment. So far, the Department of Homeland Security has given no indication that it's open to a delay, although it is considering options to speed the verification process.

With the clock ticking to the Real ID deadline, travel pros are urging airline passengers to upgrade their licenses as soon as possible or plan on using passports, military IDs or Global Entry cards starting Oct. 1.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:

Mine expires next month, the renewal notice said I may need to bring my SS card, if they don’t have a copy on file (I don’t know how in the hell id know if DPS has a copy or not).
You’re probably aware, but there’s a DPS license office inside City Hall, first floor, left hallway if you enter off of Ervay St.

Karl,

I know your post was 4 months ago, and you’ve probably renewed since yours expired 3 months ago (happy belated birthday). I used to office about three blocks from City Hall. The last time I had to renew, I walked over to learn they had closed. I suppose this was five years ago. It sucked, as my prior renewal was a breeze there.

Instead, I had to go to a huge place in East Dallas and wait forever. I suppose I will have to do that again this year.

What’s also fun is that my passport and GE expire in October (technically April because of the stupid rules). I might do what you did and head to Houston for both. I have to wait a bit until my black eye heals, but that’s a long story....

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marcus,
My GE expires in November (Rebecca’s, too)but we’ve already applied for renewal, we got a response saying renewal could take up to a year!
I’d like to hear the black eye story...bound to be a good one.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a CCW license is considered a valid ID. Getting it is much more stringent than a DL.

From the TSA site, guess it answers my question.

quote:
A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification. A temporary driver's license is not an acceptable form of identification.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Marcus,
My GE expires in November (Rebecca’s, too)but we’ve already applied for renewal, we got a response saying renewal could take up to a year!
I’d like to hear the black eye story...bound to be a good one.

I was reminded of two things the other day:

- Don’t get involved in domestic disputes of others.

- I’m not as young and quick as I used to me!

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
I wonder if a CCW license is considered a valid ID. Getting it is much more stringent than a DL.

In Texas, it counts for when any ID is needed. However, TSA is ruled by federal law, so I doubt it.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://thepointsguy.com/news/...precheck-as-real-id/

This bill may allow you to use TSA Pre-check as real ID.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
An official National ID Card, opposed by all privacy-loving conservatives, until it wasn't. Your papers, please...

I got one, took a little effort as I had not seen my Social Security card for 50 years (it was maybe in an old wallet with my draft card).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a passport is good enough identification to board a plane, why is it not enough to obtain a Real ID license? Why are the additional documents also necessary?

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.knoe.com/content/n...AL-ID-568531801.html

Sen. Kennedy asks President Trump for deadline extension on REAL ID

By Rachel Thomas | Posted: Thu 3:38 PM, Mar 05, 2020

WASHINGTON (WAFB) - Sen. John Kennedy has written to President Donald Trump requesting a one-year extension on the deadline for Americans to get the REAL ID. The current deadline is Oct. 1.

The Department of Homeland Security says at this time, about 100 million Americans have gotten their REAL ID.

“To expect 125 million Americans to obtain the REAL ID before the October 1 enrollment deadline seems nearly impossible. Achieving that goal within seven short months becomes even more unlikely given nationwide reporting that the process for obtaining a REAL ID can be overly bureaucratic and take hours upon hours from a person’s work day. Speaking for my home state, I can report that the good people of Louisiana are too busy earning a living and raising their families to burn half a day waiting in long lines and jumping through hoops to get REAL IDs,” said Sen. Kennedy in the letter. "I believe this is, at heart, an economic issue: Real America needs a REAL ID extension. I look forward to working with you to ensure the transition to REAL IDs does not disrupt the lives or livelihoods of hardworking citizens."

Sen. Kennedy’s office says in the 15 years since the REAL ID Act became law, fewer than half of all Americans with driver’s licenses have gotten their REAL ID. Additionally, two states reportedly were not issuing REAL IDs to residents as of February.

Click here to read Kennedy’s full letter.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vangulik:
If a passport is good enough identification to board a plane, why is it not enough to obtain a Real ID license? Why are the additional documents also necessary?

Gives DHS/NSA a little more to go on...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote