THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Best Route Direct to Windhoek, Namibia from US

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Route Direct to Windhoek, Namibia from US
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm taking my youngest daughter for 2 weeks of hunting and fishing next June. I want to go direct into Windhoek. Right now the plan is Houston to Amsterdam to Windhoek on KLM. I'm in Austin, so will fly a separate route to Houston.

Any other good direct routes on friendly airlines?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3042 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you look at maybe Austin to Atl (Southwest Air or Delta)
Delta direct from Atl to Joberg (lands at around 5:30 pm in Joberg)..then either right into Windhoek (would Arrive at like 10pm) or you stay at Afton Guest House that night in Joberg and onto Windhoek in the AM?

This would likely be the shortest and maybe cheapest route. Nothing to my knowledge goes direct from US to Windhoek but it's a very easy "hop" from Joberg (and you clear your guns in Namibia if you go same day)

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
IAH to Windhoek on Qatar.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:

Qatar is a good price...but it's a 32+ hour itinerary it appears. emirates has similar options with top notch service but with the same linger itinerary

Just my opinion, but given these trips are already very long...I always opted for cutting as many hours off the journey as possible
One thing I like about that Atlanta flight is they intentionally leave in the evening so you can hopefully sleep 8 of the 16 hours on the direct flight...

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Didn't Delta ban shipping the Big Five?

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
quote:

Qatar is a good price...but it's a 32+ hour itinerary it appears. emirates has similar options with top notch service but with the same linger itinerary

Just my opinion, but given these trips are already very long...I always opted for cutting as many hours off the journey as possible
One thing I like about that Atlanta flight is they intentionally leave in the evening so you can hopefully sleep 8 of the 16 hours on the direct flight...

With Qatar, no JNB layover or transfer. On both Delta and Emirates you have to transfer and/or layover in JNB

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given a viable option, I'd bypass J'burg every time too.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Air Namibia flies from Frankfort to Windhoek.
What about Lufthansa (or other) to Frankfort from Houston?

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vlwtx348:
Air Namibia flies from Frankfort to Windhoek.
What about Lufthansa (or other) to Frankfort from Houston?

The big problem with this, IMO, is that Air Namibia is involved. They showed us how clueless they are last August in Windhoek, coming home.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
quote:

With Qatar, no JNB layover or transfer. On both Delta and Emirates you have to transfer and/or layover in JNB

Yes sir...this is true. I've gone through JNB I think 7 times. If you go through same day you don't have to clear firearms and you have about a 2.5 hr layover to get through etc.
I went KLM once in Amsterdam and it was OK too but they did not get my gun case through even with a five hour layover)
If you book straight through to SAAir or Air Namibia this shouldn't be too much of an issue but it is a valid point. One tip I have found...when You recheck into your next leg make SURE the representative checks your luggage tags to see they get to your flight (meaning gun cases don't simply go get moved properly. Twice I've had my guns not make it the same day)

I guess at the end of the day it's all a balance between price, travel time, and convenience right? Either way it's a crap shoot to some extent

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've never flown on Air Namibia but I've heard nothing but bad things about that airline. I've been to Namibia twice and I was advised by both outfitters to avoid Air Namibia. Seems like cancelled and severly delayed flights are the norm with them.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I've flown to Windhoek four times in the last five years. In 2012 and 2013, I flew through Frankfort. I stopped doing that for 3 reasons: 1) Air Namibia decided to charge $100 US each way for a gun box; 2) The city of Frankfort decided you needed a special Frankfort Gun Permit, even though you never took possession of your gun and were just in transit. You had to wire transfer the funds, which my bank (Chase) charges $75.00 for, plus the cost of the permit; 3) Air Namibia is notorious for canceling flights or delaying flights due to poor maintenance. It's a national airline and is losing hundreds of millions of $ per year due to the incompetence of the political appointees running it. In 2015 and 2017, I took British Airways from ORD to LHR to Joberg to WDH. To avoid hassles with US TSA and Customs, I decided to use my PH's camp rifles, a Mauser 8 X 68 and a Ruger 77 in .308, both topped by fine Leupold scopes. To avoid the baggage thievery in Joberg, I packed everything in a Red Oxx carryon bag. I'm able to waltz through Customs in LHR, Joberg and WDH and they can't loae a bag I carry on. British Airways offers great rates when booking direct- I paid $1225 all in roundtrip.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter,

Why not let one of the travel agents that specialize in Africa and traveling with guns handle it. Tell them your requirements, they'll give you options and if you let them they'll make the whole experience as seamless as possible. I like Gracy Travel but Travel with Guns gets good reviews as well as Kathy Klimes.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
My travel agent recommended Houston to Amsterdam to Windhoek. It's a bit expensive, but the best comfort for the $$$.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3042 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
My quick search shows Qatar in coach the cheapest. and Business BA thru JNB, with Qatar $600 more. Premium Eco BA is the cheapest, but no gun on BA between JNB and Windheok. Not including air or drive from AUS to IAH.

ITA Matrix is your friend.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
If you do the Delta Flight out of Atlanta to JNB you need to give yourself and extra day for the connection to Windheok. They may have changed the time on the last flight but two hours is not enough time.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote