New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe sim card for phone
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can you purchase or rent a SIM card for a cell phone at the airport in Bulawayo? Or is it better to get one in Johannesburg.

I assume I will need a GSM phone.

Can someone who has done this before give me some advice?

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used a satellite phone. There are a lot of places the cell phones don't get reception.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can you purchase a sat phone? What do they cost to use them?

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
If it is going to be a one time use, there are several places that just rent them by the week or month and you can buy prepaid minutes. If it is going to be an ongoing, yearly thing, ebay sells them as well as buying a new one.
I've always used Explorer Satellite and they are pretty easy to use.
This year, since I could have paid for one over the years and don't plan on not hunting anymore, I just bought one.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want a sat phone. I want a cell phone to use in Bulawayo so I can call my wife and let her know I got there OK, also if guns don't show up, etc.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about calling your wife to tell her you got there in one piece. If you don't they'll let her know.

At least that's what I tell mine.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on the make and model phone you have it might not work in africa not all american purchased phones will work in africa. you can buy a phone with sims card for 20 or 30 bucks here. you buy air time as you need it.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I don't what phone you have, but I'm going there next week and my iphone will work. Verizon just does something on the computer and I can use it for phone or text.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently in SA and am heading to Zim in a couple of days. My Verizon cell phone from home is a world phone. I call verizon prior to coming and they switch something I then go to settings and switch from CDMA to GSM and I am good to go, no problem with calls. Now it is not cheap. SA is like 2.26/min and Zim is like 4.99/minute. Text is like .50 per text.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
I am currently in SA and am heading to Zim in a couple of days. My Verizon cell phone from home is a world phone. I call verizon prior to coming and they switch something I then go to settings and switch from CDMA to GSM and I am good to go, no problem with calls. Now it is not cheap. SA is like 2.26/min and Zim is like 4.99/minute. Text is like .50 per text.

$4.99 USD per min for Zim?

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote