Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa Bound
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
Looks like we’re headed back over in a few months. Original booking was on Delta which was cancelled. Terminated that reservation, got a full refund and rebooked on Emirates. After missing last years trip, really looking forward to this one!

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 867 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Did Delta cancel because of the travel ban? Wouldn't surprise me.

Good luck! Nice to see things slowly returning to normal.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The word I get is that delta is gonna start up in July.......

I usually fly delta but am booked on Qatar for 3/11.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Delta cancelled the outbound flight and wanted to redirect with KLM through Amsterdam. If I wasn’t taking rifles that may have worked. Then Delta told me when it was time to come back they weren’t sure if the direct flight would be 100% up and running. So may have to adjust and back with KLM through Amsterdam. That won’t work well getting guns through there so just told them it wasn’t going to work and I couldn’t continue with that uncertainty so requested a refund. I will say they were really great through the whole let’s figure out what we can do process.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 867 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely NOT THE CAE that taking guns through AMS is a problem - done it several times no issues.

Just do your homework - or your agent.

quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
Delta cancelled the outbound flight and wanted to redirect with KLM through Amsterdam. If I wasn’t taking rifles that may have worked. Then Delta told me when it was time to come back they weren’t sure if the direct flight would be 100% up and running. So may have to adjust and back with KLM through Amsterdam. That won’t work well getting guns through there so just told them it wasn’t going to work and I couldn’t continue with that uncertainty so requested a refund. I will say they were really great through the whole let’s figure out what we can do process.

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I am sure it works well for some but based on what information was given to me and looking online at the KLM requirements it was less complicated for us to switch to Emirates.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pre approval for the pre issued gun permit is easy. Doesn't Dubai require a pre approved firearm permit as well.

I've done Amsterdam, no problem at all, never done Dubai, but lots have with no issues.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Another Amsterdam has been no problem for me in the past for travel with guns. That is how I used to travel to Uganda.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Emirates does have a preapproval process.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sniper is correct. Emirates process is fairly easy but you have to apply for your permit ahead of time, no more than 30 days pre-departure. I’ve done it a few times and approval is pretty quick, if memory serves? I think it only took a few days. They will send emails. One thing about Emirates that I really like is that you don’t have to worry about your firearm being at your destination...when you board the gate agent gets an alert that you have a firearm and they won’t let you board until they verify the firearm is on the plane.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's the kind of airline to do business with. If I recall, Air France did that a few years back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Booked on United for Joburg in late July. Joburg to Cape Town hopefully on Safair. Then Cape Town to Windhoek at end of July. Lost Air Namibia tickets to Windhoek when the airline bellied up. May never see the airfare Confused ; rebooked on Airlink.

Will do PCR test to get into South Africa and then, likely have to do PCR test in Cape Town to get into Namibia. Not sure if will have to do the PCR test in Namibia to transit back through South Africa to the USA.

Vaccinated so by then the science may obviate the need for covid tests, but not holding my breath...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I didn’t realize United flew to SA.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote